Iran Bans Arma 3

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Iran Bans Arma 3

The Iranian government believes it's being unfairly portrayed in Arma 3.

The near-future military shooter Arma 3 is based on a war between a fractured NATO and resurgent Iran, following its invasion of Greece. It's fairly standard stuff as far as post-Soviet fictional conflicts go, but to absolutely no one's surprise, it doesn't sit too well with the authorities in Iran.

Iran's National Foundation of Computer Games, in conjunction with Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps, has declared that Iranian military forces are being improperly portrayed in the game as the bad guys, and have thus refused to grant Arma 3 approval for sale in the country. It also issued a statement reminding "all relevant institutions and organizations" that the game is not to be sold without official permission.

It's not terribly surprising that the Iranian authorities dropped the banhammer on Arma 3, as it did the anti-Israel [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114404-Iran-Bans-Battlefield-3] videogames.

Arma 3 is slated to come out in early 2013, exclusively for the PC.

Source: Trend [http://en.trend.az/regions/iran/2067248.html]

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
Well there goes 12 sales. Anyone else getting sick of hearing about these 3ed world countries getting upset, rioting, banning and killing people over trivial matters like free speech and video games. If it were up to these clowns nothing that wasn't kissing their butts or praising Mohammad would be banned.

I have no idea why we even care what these tools say or do anymore, they can't take the slightest amount of criticism and they don't want to change. The number of thing that have been unfairly portrayed in video games, probably vastly out weighs the number of thing accurately portrayed in video games. It's not a documentary for crying out loud and when you cry like this over little thing nobody is going to listen to you when you start crying over big things.

I hate to see the reaction when Kratos runs out of Greek Gods and starts going after Mohammad and Jesus.

yuval152

Jul 6, 2011
Orange12345 said:
is the "national foundation of computer games" a real thing?
It's called Iran's national foundation of computer games.

DVS BSTrD said:
Yer damn right the Iranian military is being improperly portrayed: No way they could ever beat Turkey!

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
In other news, water is wet. The Sun is hot and many other obvious things. This is just par for the course really.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
I should be insulted that Turkey got invaded by Iran... but I'm not. It's a game.
By banning it, you call attention to it. To the uneducated, a government ban may even legitimize it; what are they afraid of?

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
I doubt a game set in a "fictional alternate reality" where US are portrayed as evil imperialist invaders would get the green light here in America.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Step 1: Get angry about how you are being portrayed by games made by foreign developers.
Step 2: Attempt to execute a foreign developer for visiting your country.
Step 3: RESPECT!

Jhooud

Someone's Dad
Nov 29, 2011
tehroc said:
I doubt a game set in a "fictional alternate reality" where US are portrayed as evil imperialist invaders would get the green light here in America.
Actually, that sounds pretty interesting. Maybe do the whole Spec Ops am I the good guy or the bad guy kind of thing. Could be a great vehicle to talk about the political divides in our country and how it affects us here and abroad...

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
Finland is apparently under "Russian Influence", which is probably horrible for all of the patriots around here, but we ain't banning shit. Stuff like that just shows the difference between free and just shitty countries.

Agente L

Apr 4, 2010
I must say, being against games that "portray" iran as bad guys, buta t the same time support anti-west and anti-israli is a good way to understand why 80% of the civilized world isn't very fond of iran.

Jan 12, 2012
Jhooud said:
tehroc said:
Actually, that sounds pretty interesting. Maybe do the whole Spec Ops am I the good guy or the bad guy kind of thing. Could be a great vehicle to talk about the political divides in our country and how it affects us here and abroad...
I'd play that game. The problem is, you'd have the same trouble that other games (like the Modern Warfare series and Spec Ops) have encountered: It's easy to make a villain representing the worst aspects of your culture, while it's very, very, hard to make an insightful commentary into your own society that is critical without falling into an ideological trap, while still making a game that is fun to play. For example, Spec Ops was very well written, but I don't know anyone who would say it was fun; mostly, people endured the lackluster gameplay for the story.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
tehroc said:
COD MW2. Black Ops 2. We're the bad guys in those 2 games at least.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Hardcore_gamer said:
People can't argue that Iran is evil for making anti-Israel games at the same time games like this are being released.
I think people argue that Iran is evil because it's an odious, fanatical theocracy.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
As an Israeli, I now feel like I have to buy this game.
As a gamer, I'm not very fond of realistic military shooters.

Why couldn't they have made a Sci-Fi shooter with RPG elements that represents Iran as it does?