Iran Sentences Game Developer To Death

Icetailgreg

Oct 12, 2011
Personally, I find it odd that few have mentioned the fact that this man, not to mention the company, have basically used video games to brain-wash people to a particular viewpoint. This is not what video games are made for. I agree with Iwana, the guy deserves what's coming to him. And the Americans will probably do what they do best. Re-enact "Mariners Revenge" (Link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEmy2DBaeTc) on a global scale, ending with the president and an Iranian alone in a radioactive wasteland. If this is how he world ends, then...irony.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Just to the bunch who doesn't read.
The same would happen if the situation was reversed.

A former Marine, worked for the CIA, created training software and created a game that makes you infiltrate Iran (that IS propaganda).
So yeah, that is a definition of a spy/anti-government worker.

What does the USA do with spies again? Oh yeah, death sentence. But they don't say it out loud so that the rest of the world knows. No, they do it in secrecy to look civilized and democratic.

What happens to Muslims who try to enter the USA? They accept them with open arms? No. They try to find anything that could related them to anything that is possible related to terrorism and just trow them in jail. You're related to a Muslim with a long beard? To jail with you! NAO!!!!!
And with the new laws coming in, bye bye.

He got what he asked for.

And for people writing "Oh noe, dat impossibru in USA. We haz freedom of speech!!!!111"
Yes, yes you have. You have so much of it that it makes me laugh.
Unfortunately, the very same freedom of speech makes Julain Assange cry. On the other hand, Bradley Manning loves it.

SOPA, Patriot act... oh beauty of the freedom of speech... I have never seen freedom in such beautiful colors.

White Knight2392

Jan 6, 2012
Spend the next few months rabidly learning everything you can about the entirety of human history, from the first written records to today. I have a great love of history, and I've been paying close attention to world affairs for the last few years, and I've noticed a pattern here. In this new age of technology and enlightenment, humanity is slowly coming together to say ENOUGH! One by one, dictators are falling, tyranny is being overthrown, and people are waking up and taking control of their destinies. The Arab Spring, Occupy Wallstreet, the unrest in china, europe, and russia. This is only the beginning. This, my friends, is hope.

-The Assasins are right; the Revolution is coming, and the Templars are goin' down!

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
Ldude893 said:
I'm speechless.

You know, I wouldn't really feel any pity towards Iran if they get hit by a crippling cyber attack sometime in the future.
You know, I wouldn't really feel any pity towards Iran if they get hit by a crippling attack sometime in the future.

Mar 28, 2011

Seriously, I thought this had to be a joke. This marks the first time this year that i'm ashamed to be part of the human race. I know i'm going to sound whiny and preachy but for fucks sake, we're all human, we're all fundamentally the same and we're the only known planet in the universe to harbour intelligent life. Can't we all just stop dicking each other about and get the fuck on with our lives?

God, the world sucks.

/rant

JSF01

Jan 19, 2011
Razada said:
Hmmm, I remember reading an article on a little known gaming site (Read: The Escapist) about an Iraqi artists struggle to release a game called "The Hunt For Bush" which was created using an adapted form of a game called "The Hunt For Sadam". So this paranoid reality I am living in is called... Reality.
I did not see that article so I can?t really comment on it other than I doubt he was executed or even jailed for life if at all.
Razada said:
All I am trying to state is that there is a double standard in play here. This man does not deserve death however his charges are not... Insane whatsoever. He DID create anti-Iranian propaganda. And I think he was a total dipshit for travelling to Iran after doing so.
While it could be considered anti Iranian propaganda, that?s a still a far cry from him being a CIA operative on a mission to specifically create anti Iranian propaganda games and movies to distribute to the Iranian population. It was stupid of him though to actually travel to Iran though.
Razada said:
And Freedom of Speech does not really extend to hate speech. At least it does not in Britain. Please enlighten me, if I call someone a "Dirty ******" or words to the effect of in America, would I be charged with anything at all?
In America you would not be charged with any thing. We don?t have any Hate Speech laws. Now someone may kick your ass for saying it, but there are no laws against it. You can even organize a neo Nazi rally and march down the center of a Jewish community if you wanted to.
Razada said:
Although the members of Hezbollah who made said game would probably be arrested for attempting to cause terrorism. Not that the Americans need reasons to arrest people.
Nope
Razada said:
Or perhaps raising money for use in Terrorist Acts?
Now funding terrorist organizations is illegal, but if they where just keeping all the money for themselves and not doing or planning anything illegal with it than they would be fine
Razada said:
I mean, considering the Iranians quite rightly consider the Americans to be the largest threat to the continued existence of the nation (And just about everything within the borders of Iran if the Americans go nuclear) a man who produced material used to TRAIN the armies of your enemies, a man who produced games which fund (Indirectly through taxation etc) the armies of your enemies... Well, that sounds like a man you would want to arrest now doesn't it? For exactly the same reasons the Americans would arrest someone supporting terror (Unless its terror you directly support. Like the IRA. Who just happened to be blowing the shit out of one of your allies.)
except the charges are not for the games he made in the past. Also in the US you would not be charged with funding terrorism if it were an indirect way like taxation.
Razada said:
Not that a charge is needed. What with the ability to be held indefinitely without charge.

Derp.

At least the Iranians are ADMITTING they arrested this dumbass. The Americans would have just sent him off to Guantanamo to face a few rounds of "Tough interrogation techniques" without saying a word.

Perhaps its about time Americans started looking at the questionable actions of their own government before they start questioning and condemning the actions of other governments. Or, with this particular case, actually considering the reasons other than the blatant as to why this man was arrested.
Like that Russian spy a year ago was, Oh wait a sec.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
When it comes down to it, his company is to blame here, not him. Arrogant paranoid people they are, they're making their own country look bad more than a game possibly could.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Zhukov said:
Dear Humanity

Please stop doing needlessly cruel and stupid shit. It's getting a bit depressing.

Thanks.
The small group of people who lead the various countries != Humanity.

The mean age in Iran was something like low 20's last I knew. This sort of crap is just done by the aging and (apparently) insane older population.

brainslurper said:
Ldude893 said:
I'm speechless.

You know, I wouldn't really feel any pity towards Iran if they get hit by a crippling cyber attack sometime in the future.
You know, I wouldn't really feel any pity towards Iran if they get hit by a crippling attack sometime in the future.
I only agree if your only target is the leadership. Otherwise you are killing a bunch of young folks who are actually into American Culture.

Seems like a dumb move to kill people who like you, just saying.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Burs said:
Those are the crimes he allegedly confessed to, remember Iran has had a history of making people confess by use of fear and torture (see the 2007 capture of Royal Navy personel).

I personally think that Iran is behaving like a child on the international stage; throwing its teddies out the pram in order to gain attention. and I personally think that Iran should be stripped of any and all trade going into the country, If the government feels like being a douche it can go and sit on the international "naughty step"
Ah, crap. I forgot that these type of countries have been known to manipulate the truths confessed by its prisoners so it can save some face.

Yeah, now that I think about it, unless we have a confession from someone in our own government (haha, isn't gonna happen) that this was a government-sanctioned event, I don't think we can entirely trust Iran on calling this guy out now.

Seriously, Iran? I'm not quite sure if this is a viral story yet, but if it does become one, if the governments of the world don't get you for this, rest assured the Internet will find some way to screw you over.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Rednog said:
Uhh you realize that the people who are holding him captive are saying that he allegedly said all this, right?
I underline it for you in your post.
Seriously, fine reading before you go off on the poor guy.
Yeah, someone else pointed it out for me.

I'm an idiot. ^_^; srsly, I am still under the opinion that Iran is not responding rationally, sensibly, or morally right to this situation, and I hope that the guy really doesn't get killed.

Because seriously, if he does, then it's just another body to add to the body count of people killed due to complete and utter stupidity.

notimeforlulz

Mar 18, 2011
Hope these trolls like getting droned...

New idea: And this one is for a games industry response to Iran.

If they kill this guy, I'll volunteer to become a programmer for the military, instead of making video games.

Get about 100,000 programmers to offer that, and maybe the games industry can bring a threat to the table over this.

KaiRai

Jun 2, 2008
To be perfectly honest, I don't think Iran needs to worry about games having any effect on what US policies do in Iran. They seem to be doing a pretty good job of screwing things up all on their own.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next major war was in Iran, their leaders are crazy as hell, and if the US or it's allies don't go in, then we'll be looking at another 'Libya'.

On topic though, I hope they don't go through with it, for a games developer to suddenly turn round and say he's been paid off by the CIA to make games smacks of 'torturous' methods. Surely the ICC or the Hague can get involved with this? I'd say this breaches human rights on numerous levels.

Lyvric

Nov 29, 2011
;o_O Wait...what? Death?

Even if there's factual proof or spying or propaganda, death is the answer? No revoking citizenship, deporting, or jail time? Just jump to the block?

I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around most of the situation, let alone some of the comments.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Will Fox News say that this was the right thing to do? Well, all jokes aside this is a terrible thing to happen in the world. Oh, well. Not much we can do about, though. Unless, we get super powers... Hint, hint, tip, tip, clue, clue.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
i want to say "meh..." but i feel i may get flamed for being so underwhelmed. Iran is in dire straits right now. Their economy is crumbling, the religious and political groups have cut their ties, most of the world hates them, and the people of the nation are eying Syria Libya and Egypt very carefully. Most informed people will realize that this is just Iran trying to bait America into a war so it can rally it's people behind the regime. The unchecked enrichment of Uranium, The excessive posturing, The backhanded gratitude for the return of Iranian prisoners from pirates, the theft of a US spy drone. These are all just attempts from the regime to start a war they think they can win, or least draw surgical air strikes. They feel if they can foment enough Anti-US feelings among their people they can hold onto power a little longer.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Iran being Iran.
This is a government that condoned holding an embassy hostage.
Killed many of its own generals in purges and then went to war with Iraq.
Has courts where a boy can be eligible for the death penalty at 15, whilst for a girl it can be 9.

It's not a nice place to be, so don't go there.

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Razada said:
Hmmm, I remember reading an article on a little known gaming site (Read: The Escapist) about an Iraqi artists struggle to release a game called "The Hunt For Bush" which was created using an adapted form of a game called "The Hunt For Sadam". So this paranoid reality I am living in is called... Reality.
If I remember that article right, noone was threatened with being executed. It was all just political posturing, and neocons getting their panties in a bunch.

All I am trying to state is that there is a double standard in play here. This man does not deserve death however his charges are not... Insane whatsoever. He DID create anti-Iranian propaganda. And I think he was a total dipshit for travelling to Iran after doing so.
Well yeah he is, but if we arrested everyone who called Obama a Nazi, Guantanamo would have to be expanded to cover half of Cuba.

And Freedom of Speech does not really extend to hate speech. At least it does not in Britain. Please enlighten me, if I call someone a "Dirty ******" or words to the effect of in America, would I be charged with anything at all?
America has more of a 'sticks and stones' policy. Generally, Hate Speech laws over here don't really come in effect until you start calling for violence. So you can say you wish all the "Dirty Niggers" were dead, but if you start shouting in public that people should kill them all, then you'll land yourself in some trouble ranging from a warning in the most mild cases, all the way to charges of Inciting a Riot, and Making Terroristic Threats in the worst cases. You can even get charged for Manslaughter if someone actually acts on it.

Although the members of Hezbollah who made said game would probably be arrested for attempting to cause terrorism. Not that the Americans need reasons to arrest people. Or perhaps raising money for use in Terrorist Acts? I mean, considering the Iranians quite rightly consider the Americans to be the largest threat to the continued existence of the nation (And just about everything within the borders of Iran if the Americans go nuclear) a man who produced material used to TRAIN the armies of your enemies, a man who produced games which fund (Indirectly through taxation etc) the armies of your enemies... Well, that sounds like a man you would want to arrest now doesn't it? For exactly the same reasons the Americans would arrest someone supporting terror (Unless its terror you directly support. Like the IRA. Who just happened to be blowing the shit out of one of your allies.)

Not that a charge is needed. What with the ability to be held indefinitely without charge.

Derp.

At least the Iranians are ADMITTING they arrested this dumbass. The Americans would have just sent him off to Guantanamo to face a few rounds of "Tough interrogation techniques" without saying a word.

Perhaps its about time Americans started looking at the questionable actions of their own government before they start questioning and condemning the actions of other governments. Or, with this particular case, actually considering the reasons other than the blatant as to why this man was arrested.
People have been bitching about that for about 6 or 7 years now. One of the biggest issues Obama is running into with his supporters is the fact that he hasn't closed Gitmo yet. That and the 2012 NDAA, which doesn't really do anything a lot of people think it does. If he doesn't get reelected, those will be the big issues.

Necrofudge

May 17, 2009
After reading this, my first response was to comment on how the Iranian President must be trying to make people hate him.

Then I realized if I was in a similar position, I wouldn't give two shits what people thought at that point. He's crazy and hateful, but he's not self-conscious, which is a nice trait to have, I suppose...

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
First of all, this is terrible. I can't think of any other way to describe it. It's moments like this when I have a hard time coming to terms with just how messed up Iran's government is.

What sickens me more is that they have the right to do this.

Let's face it. Amir Hekmati was responsible for developing anti-Iranian propaganda for the United States government. The fact that he is of Iranian descent means that the crime is an act of treason, which can be punished by death. This is supported by the Qanon-e Ta'zir (Discretionary Punishment Law), which allows a judge to issue the death sentence for crimes such as "plotting with foreign powers."

I really do feel sorry for Amir and wish him and his family the best. Hopefully the U.S. can strike a bargain and bring him home in one piece.