Iranian Developers Forced to Rely on Open Source Software

Austin MacKenzie

Jan 26, 2010
Iranian Developers Forced to Rely on Open Source Software

Developing a current generation game without current generation software sounds like an impossible task - unless you're Fanafzar Game Studios.

Garshasp, the Mace of Sarith is a game produced entirely from in-house and open source programming software. Due to Western trade sanctions, obtaining actual development software is impossible. What makes Garshasp unique is in addition to being produced with open source software, it is also the first Iranian game with global commercial viability to come out of Iran.

"Google was our university," Fanafzar business developer Arash Jafari said.

Garshasp, based off the epic poem Garshasp Naame, takes the players through beautifully rendered environments you wouldn't believe were cribbed together by a bunch of amateur programmers using open source software. It's a pretty gutsy move, and if the game does well, maybe it'll help bring more Iranians into the game development business.

Source: <a href=http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/20/AR2010032002730.html>Washington Post via <a href=http://gamepolitics.com/2010/03/22/iranian-game-developer-prepares-launch-title>GamePolitics

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
If it turns out to be good I will be very impressed.

I have a hard enough time making something in Flash that isnt an abomanation.

InquisitorRaekan

Jan 21, 2010
Wow, i hope i works out well. I'd love to see some 'new' ideas coming into the marketand hopeflly his will be one source

Phoenixlight

Aug 24, 2008
This looks like it could have a lot of potential, It will be interesting to see what can be done using only open source software.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
I was interested enough to read their blog and apparently they are using famous open source applications like Visual C++, PhysX and DirectX. Hmm.

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009
That's incredible. Inspiringly so.

With knowledge of how awesome open source software is, the game could have potential to be pretty polished.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Very cool. I'd never have the patience (or the skill) for something like that, and I have a lot of respect for these guys building something from scratch even with the odds against them.

I'm also intrigued by the setting. Mythology is cool, and I honestly can't think of a single game that used Persian mythology for anything more than a place to steal a couple of names from.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Its a shame they cannot get acces to what they need to develop...suppose what happens when youl ive in a country like that..

But, they are working with what they got...so, they certainly get a medal for that!

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
More Fun To Compute said:
I was interested enough to read their blog and apparently they are using famous open source applications like Visual C++, PhysX and DirectX. Hmm.
Lol. I guess someone is a little confused on the meaning of 'open source'.

Visual C++ and the DirectX SDK can be had for free though, but they're not open source. PhysX on the other hand...

WhiteTiger225

Aug 6, 2009
It will be nice to see a new culture get into global game making. I am tired of seeing the same three medieval floor mats being pushed out again and again. *Stares at Square Enix, Bethesda, and Peter M. and his Fable 1.3*

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
I am not very surprised by this. Open Source tools have become very powerful in recent years. However it is not the tool but the artist that makes a game or any piece of art worth while.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
HG131 said:
MurderousToaster said:
For their name alone, they should be given infinite money.

FANAFZAR!

It just has such a ring to it.
It could have a song Fannnna FZAR!!!!
Someone needs to shop the Fanafzar's founder into a shoop da whoop.

IMMA FIRIN' MAH FANAFZAR,

BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

The Infinite

Mar 30, 2009
I hope they do well, and I must commend them for their efforts! Building a current gen game with OPEN SOURCE? Now that takes dedication.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
To be honest I am surprised the Ayatollah is cool with this. Pretty solid graphics in play as well, judging from the screenshots. Will follow with interest.