Ireland Creates Fund for Internet and Game Start-Ups

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010
Ireland Creates Fund for Internet and Game Start-Ups

The Irish Government, in an attempt to help revitalize their economy, has set aside 500,000 euros to act as a competitive start-up fund for 10 internet and games-related businesses.

The fund, which is expected to increase in 2011, was recommended in a report by the Irish Innovation Task Force, which was set up in 2009 to advise the Irish Government on how to create a smarter economy. Batt O'Keeffe, the Irish Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Innovation, called games, " ... one of the fastest-growing markets in the world with an estimated value of more than €30 billion," and called the fund an investment in the future of Ireland's internet and games industry.

"In Ireland and the UK, the market for online games is valued at about €2 billion," he said. "Clearly, there is an enormous business opportunity there for Irish firms and the Government ... Enterprise Ireland is focused on helping internet and games entrepreneurs to capitalise on this rapidly growing market opportunity."

To facilitate the growth of Ireland's games industry, several start-ups will be provided with 10,000 euros and an experienced business mentor, to help them through one of the most difficult parts of starting a business.

"Very early stage companies can face difficulties in raising external financing at this vital stage in the start-up and market launch process," said Frank Ryan, CEO of Enterprise Ireland. "This new Enterprise Ireland competitive start fund is aimed at helping them bridge this gap and quickly validate their market"

The 10 start-ups will be selected by the end of January, and will be selected by a panel of Ireland's top internet and games entrepreneurs.

Source: Spong [http://www.siliconrepublic.com/start-ups/item/19360-ireland-creates-fund-for]

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
It'll take a damn sight more than that to revitalise Ireland's economy. They're being bailed out by Europe and are likely going to have to put up their taxes. Nevertheless there'll be a few happy Irish games designers who are currently living off the free Cheese the Irish government gave out (seriously).

Sky Captanio

May 11, 2009
thenumberthirteen said:
It'll take a damn sight more than that to revitalise Ireland's economy. They're being bailed out by Europe and are likely going to have to put up their taxes. Nevertheless there'll be a few happy Irish games designers who are currently living off the free Cheese the Irish government gave out (seriously).
It's not meant to entirely revitalize the economy it's meant to help which it will.

But this sounds good and I'm excited to see the result.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
thenumberthirteen said:
Why don't you get your godamn facts straight before you start insulting someone else's country?

I know, the cheese thing sounds ridiculous, and it is, but it goes to impoverished families, not just anyone who wants it.

My country is in enough of a shit spot and I don't like seeing it pissed on by poorly informed internet trolls.

The Hive Mind

Nov 11, 2010
Name one big Irish developer.

Exactly.

This country has no games industry at all, and this is nothing more than a publicity stunt that has clearly gone awry somewhere in the PR dept as nobody in their right mind would think that this would revitalise the Irish economy.

Fools.

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
The Hive Mind said:

Exactly.

This country has no games industry at all, and this is nothing more than a publicity stunt that has clearly gone awry somewhere in the PR dept as nobody in their right mind would think that this would revitalise the Irish economy.

Fools.
Actually the country does have several developers all they need is funding.
(though the publicity stunt would be a thing O'Keefe would pull)

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
The Hive Mind said:

Exactly.
All the more reason it needs some funding already. How much this will actually amount to is debatable, but it's good they're doing something for the industry.

dannymc18

Dec 15, 2009
Name a big developer? Look at the back of most games, or movies for that matter, and I'm prett sure you'll see the name "Havok".

In any case, isn't that the point of setting up a fund? To get developers in in the first place? You have to start somewhere y'know. You're also forgetting the likes of Microsoft & Google have their European operations running out of Dublin.

It's just a shame that I couldn't give a toss about making games really, sounds good otherwise.

Bravo315

Jun 4, 2008
The Hive Mind said:

Exactly.

Fools.
Yes. Because this scheme is quite clearly set out to help big name developers. The keyword is "startups". You know, small companies, trying to kick off an economy springs to mind when you hear that.

All the more power to them I say.

littlewisp

Mar 25, 2010
This sounds like it could be incredible, especially if it lures some entrepreneurs who left for greener pastures back to Ireland. Of course, it could also flop horrendously, but I'm glad they're trying.

I hope it works out for the best, and we get some cool new games in the process.

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
The Hive Mind said:

Exactly.

Fools.
Havok physics started out in Ireland. It was later bought out, but still.

Boba Frag said:
thenumberthirteen said:
Why don't you get your godamn facts straight before you start insulting someone else's country?

I know, the cheese thing sounds ridiculous, and it is, but it goes to impoverished families, not just anyone who wants it.

My country is in enough of a shit spot and I don't like seeing it pissed on by poorly informed internet trolls.
How do you know he's not from Ireland? Post gives no indication.

Also, there is nothing in his post that isn't true. Ireland is being bailed out by the IMF (true) and likely will have to raise taxes (also true). And they give out free cheese (true).

Even if he is a troll, that was all correct, so he doesn't really need to get his facts straight.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101201/ap_on_bi_ge/eu_ireland_financial_crisis

KiKiweaky

Aug 29, 2008
The Hive Mind said:

Exactly.

Fools.
Havok engine....... remeber that? Started right here in our little island =D

AnAngryMoose

Nov 12, 2009
The Hive Mind said:

Exactly.

Fools.
Actually Havoc and branches of Bioware, EA and Popcap are all located in Ireland along with other games-related industries are located here...

OT: I'm extremely excited about this! I'll be starting a computer science course soon enough and I'm planning on streaming off into Game Design so woohoo for me!

Irish Soulface

Sep 18, 2008
too bad fees are going up and the maintenance grant is being cut, sure its progress, but no one will be around to benefit due to the brain drain... budget next week god help us all!!!!

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
cobrausn said:
The Hive Mind said:

Exactly.

Fools.
Havok physics started out in Ireland. It was later bought out, but still.

Boba Frag said:
thenumberthirteen said:

How do you know he's not from Ireland? Post gives no indication.

Also, there is nothing in his post that isn't true. Ireland is being bailed out by the IMF (true) and likely will have to raise taxes (also true). And they give out free cheese (true).

Even if he is a troll, that was all correct, so he doesn't really need to get his facts straight.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101201/ap_on_bi_ge/eu_ireland_financial_crisis
First off, he's not.

Second- it's the tone and the insinuation that the country is a failed state.

Well, fuck that, and fuck anyone who decides to take the easy target.

I am sick and fucking tired of hearing my country being talked about in such a fashion.

Yes, the IMF-EU are providing a bail out, but I will not apologise for reacting to the insulting post.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Bravo315 said:
Yes. Because this scheme is quite clearly set out to help big name developers. The keyword is "startups". You know, small companies, trying to kick off an economy springs to mind when you hear that.

All the more power to them I say.
It's only 10,000 Euros...not exactly the kind of injection to get things going...more like a small supplement.

I mean you can't hire more developers or anything for that much...you could pay rent/utilities/food stuffs...

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
Boba Frag said:
First off, he's not.

Second- it's the tone and the insinuation that the country is a failed state.

Well, fuck that, and fuck anyone who decides to take the easy target.

I am sick and fucking tired of hearing my country being talked about in such a fashion.

Yes, the IMF-EU are providing a bail out, but I will not apologise for reacting to the insulting post.
You need some thicker skin. Wouldn't last long as an American. I get called a redneck, a fatass, and a violent, imperialistic member of a failed state at least twice a day.

I was only stating that his facts were right; nothing about any insinuation or tone of the post. You guys are getting screwed by your banks and your government in the same way we did. Hopefully you come out of it soon.