Irish: are any of you it?

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
Verlander said:
and nor are most people who claim to be. Unless you, or your parent was BORN in Ireland, AND grew up there, then you are not Irish, regardless of whom you ancestor may have been.
We'll lets see, Father's family is from Longford, Mothers family from Leitrim, born in Manchester but I have been living in the west of Ireland for 11 years, good enough?

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Ninjamedic said:
Verlander said:
and nor are most people who claim to be. Unless you, or your parent was BORN in Ireland, AND grew up there, then you are not Irish, regardless of whom you ancestor may have been.
We'll lets see, Father's family is from Longford, Mothers family from Leitrim, born in Manchester but I have been living in the west of Ireland for 11 years, good enough?
If it makes you happy, yes

Divein53

Jul 31, 2011
I'm full blooded Irish
Ham_authority95 said:
I'm like 1/8th or something, but not enough to say that I'm "Irish". Even if I was largely Irish, I probably wouldn't live in Ireland or do any of it's culture besides St Patties day.

"White guy from the US" will do just fine.
By the way it's St Paddy's day.
Patty is a womens name

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
not completely. my father's family originates from ireland, but that was a couple of centuries ago.

pixiejedi

Jan 8, 2009
maninahat said:
I was about to be furious, but then I read the OP and realised that this topic isn't as blatant a cultural faux pas as I thought.

The quickest way to get on my nerves is to start talking about genealogy, especially if you're an American. I don't know why, but they seem obsessed with the subject, and will often bring it up early in conversation without any prompting whatsoever. The best way to get on the nerves of an Irishman is for an American to refer to them self as "Irish". As far as I'm concerned, if you have absolutely nothing to do with a foreign culture, other than a distant relative who might have been from there, then you shouldn't be giving a shit about heritage. "Acting" Irish comes across as cultural appropriation. An affectation, and nothing more.

I understand your point and see how it would bug you, I bet a lot of people do it. My dad is really proud of his Scottish heritage for example, he has the weapons on the wall to prove it. Thing is our family has been here since before the civil war. In this one example I believe he felt the need to be proud somehow of where he came from. His parents were shit (he would tell you that too) but he still felt the need to connect with older generations. Americans generally have a harder time with national identity. Some people feel the need to relate.

OT: descendent of the Irish, but not really Irish. Had to tell my parents my kladagah tattoo was for the Irish part of me, when its really a Buffy tribute :)

tombman888

Jul 12, 2009
A quarter Irish (I'm pretty sure)

and... well.... Most irish thing i've done is.... um... nothing.... i Bought the leprechaun Skin for Veigar in LoL..... yeah, i'm proud irish, what of it

Dec 27, 2010
I love the fact half the posts on here are from Americans with like one ancestor who was Irish. I mean, for God sake, my grandparents are Ulster Protestants, that doesn't mean I call myself English.

OT; Yeah, I'm Irish... Not much else to say really.

Prince Regent

Dec 9, 2007
similar.squirrel said:
Prince Regent said:
Why would you formulate the thread title like that? "Irish: are any of you it?"
You could just as easily have asked used "Are any of you Irish?" or "Any Irishman out there?".

I know this is a small rant, but it just bugs me.

OT: No, I do sometimes drink Guiness though.
I am not strictly sober.
Well at least it proves that you're Irish

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Ninjamedic said:
Verlander said:
Actually most of the people here meet your "requirements".
Yes, all of the "I'm a third" or "My grandfather was 100%" makes them all Irish.

Most of the people here aren't, and the folk from new world countries seem to have some sort of inherited patriotism for a place they have never been to. I laid out fair criteria, it could be said that you're only Irish if you're born and raised there. People need to be satisfied with who they are, and if we're lucky, ignore this ridiculous "pride" in a political measurement.

Turigamot

Feb 13, 2011
No American calls himself Irish. They claim to be of Irish descent, and thus Irish-American. But I've never met an American who claimed to be "Irish", period.

You'll notice, "1/8 Irish" or "1/2 Irish" or "Both Sides of my family have Irish blood". Does that mean they are saying "Yeah, I'm Irish." No, it doesn't. They aren't claiming nationality. They are claiming ethnicity. Stop being so uptight.

OT: No. I'm German-American. Just had to vent.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
maninahat said:
I was about to be furious, but then I read the OP and realised that this topic isn't as blatant a cultural faux pas as I thought.

The quickest way to get on my nerves is to start talking about geneology, especially if you're an American. I don't know why, but they seem obsessed with the subject, and will often bring it up early in conversation without any prompting whatsoever. The best way to get on the nerves of an Irishman is for an American to refer to themself as "Irish". As far as I'm concerned, if you have absolutely nothing to do with a foreign culture, other than a distant relative who might have been from there, then you shouldn't be giving a shit about heritage. "Acting" Irish comes across as cultural appropriation. An affectation, and nothing more.
Thanks for putting that up before I freaked out that the OP.
It actually deeply offends me when all some people, in fairness, mostly Americans, zero in on is the godamn stereotypes and the godawful and embarrassing leprechaun crap.

Again, most Americans view things like 'Irish' or 'Italian' to be exclusively ethnic descriptions, and that's fair enough, considering America's cultural melting pot. More power to them.

I don't know if it's genetic, but nothing boils my blood more than people assuming they're actually as Irish as someone born and reared on the island of Ireland. They don't mean it, but god almighty, they're Americans with Irish ancestry. There's a HUGE difference.

For the record, I'm a citizen of the Republic of Ireland and I'm from Cork. I'm perhaps too proud of my cultural identity.

How about this?

Why don't we have posters identifying themselves more clearly rather than giving us fractions and decimal points?

IE- Irish American- Irish grandmother, from New York etc etc>

OR

Actual residents of the island (North and South)

Turigamot

Feb 13, 2011
Verlander said:
Ninjamedic said:
Verlander said:
Actually most of the people here meet your "requirements".
Yes, all of the "I'm a third" or "My grandfather was 100%" makes them all Irish.

Most of the people here aren't, and the folk from new world countries seem to have some sort of inherited patriotism for a place they have never been to. I laid out fair criteria, it could be said that you're only Irish if you're born and raised there. People need to be satisfied with who they are, and if we're lucky, ignore this ridiculous "pride" in a political measurement.
There is no shame in being proud of one's family history. (unless you have a shitty family, of course.)

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Verlander said:
quote]
..it could be said that you're only Irish if you're born and raised there.
I wasn't born here, nor do I have a citizenship [I'm saving money for one at the moment]. But I grew up in Ireland, and I would consider myself to be Irish due to that.

Turigamot

Feb 13, 2011
Boba Frag said:
Why don't we have posters identifying themselves more clearly rather than giving us fractions and decimal points?

IE- Irish American- Irish grandmother, from New York etc etc>

OR

Actual residents of the island (North and South)

If people did this, then maybe there would be less wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Dec 27, 2010
Verlander said:
it could be said that you're only Irish if you're born and raised there.
I wouldn't say that. I was born in the Czech Republic, but my parents are Irish, I'm an Irish citizen, I've lived here since I was 1 and I speak Irish. Probably nit-picking here, but saying you have to be born here is a little harsh (I agree with the fact you'd have to be raised here though).

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
I'd just like to tell you people that you're not irish unless you're born here, or you grew up here.

Or if you're Des Bishop.