Irish: are any of you it?

Flip-Shying

Jun 22, 2011
DefinitelyPsychotic said:
Eh, a tiny bit. Mostly have Italian blood flowing through my veins; and I am damn proud of it!
Same here, have some Irish in me somewhere but I'm mostly Italian...

CuteRocketeer

Mar 20, 2011
I was born in Ireland but I've been an Australia so long it doesn't have much impact on my identity.

My only problem is I don't fit the stereotype of either culture because I don't drink alcohol ;)

wfpdk

May 8, 2008
i am not Irish in any way... which i feel is both unique and bad ass because we are the worlds best drinkers. I mean, the Irish are a very promiscuous an fertile people as i see it, for everyone i know boast about their bit of Irish in them. I'm Czech and Belgium... at least the Irish have river dancing and Nessy, Belgium is just fucking depressing and Czechoslovakia does even exist anymore, we at least have a reason to be drunk all the time... but at least we're not Romania.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
The-Epicly-Named-Man said:
Verlander said:
it could be said that you're only Irish if you're born and raised there.
I wouldn't say that. I was born in the Czech Republic, but my parents are Irish, I'm an Irish citizen, I've lived here since I was 1 and I speak Irish. Probably nit-picking here, but saying you have to be born here is a little harsh (I agree with the fact you'd have to be raised here though).
I completely agree, which is why it wasn't in my initial criteria. As a half-Italian person, I constantly see (mostly American) people banging on about being "Italian" when they are fourth or even fifth generation. Even I wouldn't describe myself as Italian. The Irish and the Scottish also suffer from this misplaced identity being put upon them. I just thought I'd get in there before every other New Yorker on this site starts piping up about how Irish they are.

Turigamot said:
There is no shame in being proud of one's family history. (unless you have a shitty family, of course.)
Of course not, but the location is still pretty irrelevant. As I said above, I'm part-Italian, but I take no pride in that. What would be the point? In a geographical or political sense both great and horrendous things have happened in every place where people live. I'd rather have pride in accomplishments than some arbitrary location that for most of history, people haven't been able to do anything about.

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
pyramid head grape said:
I'd say somewhere between zero and one percent. Northern Irish doesn't count, right?
I don't see why not. If you're actually from there, you're more irish than a lot of people on this thread.

wfpdk said:
at least the Irish have river dancing and Nessy.
That's Scotland.

Iznat

Feb 13, 2010
Irish :D Living in South Dublin (aww yeah new money).
Actually lived in Belgium for a number of years xD But go figure, here I am now, but hardly patriotic :p

Oisin XD

Oct 15, 2009
Born in Ireland, Irish mum, Danish dad. Live in Denmark now. Don't know the Irish language, but I have lots of family back in Éire, and we go there quite often. Lovely country.

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
I'm drunk so technically im both Irish and russian.

OT:I'm about quarter scottish so pretty close like stepping over a line close. but the rest is quarter jap quarter pole and a mix of belgian and indios

mental_looney

Apr 29, 2008
wfpdk said:
i am not Irish in any way... which i feel is both unique and bad ass because we are the worlds best drinkers. I mean, the Irish are a very promiscuous an fertile people as i see it, for everyone i know boast about their bit of Irish in them. I'm Czech and Belgium... at least the Irish have river dancing and Nessy, Belgium is just fucking depressing and Czechoslovakia does even exist anymore, we at least have a reason to be drunk all the time... but at least we're not Romania.
Oi nessie is scottish >.<

Oh and 100% scottish as far back as boring times probably, i've lived in cork for 3 years now it's pretty nice

eggy32

Nov 19, 2009
My mum's side of the family is Irish but my dad's is Italian. I was born in Italy and lived there for a year but lived here in Ireland for 17 years.

So what percentage of Irishness is that?

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
Colour-Scientist said:
I am. Born and bred. I've even been know to say "Era" on a number of occasions.
Era?
Please, if you're going to start trying to say "Éire", at least learn to spell it properly.

Turigamot said:
No American calls himself Irish. They claim to be of Irish descent, and thus Irish-American. But I've never met an American who claimed to be "Irish", period.
To be fair, I've heard plenty of American people claim to be Irish, Polish, French and Italian.

OT: I'm Irish, properly Irish. Born in Dublin, both my parents are from Dublin, my grandparents are from down the country, as were their parents.

So yeah.

ZydrateDealer

Nov 17, 2009
Al-Bundy-da-G said:
I'm drunk so technically im both Irish and russian.

OT:I'm about quarter scottish so pretty close like stepping over a line close. but the rest is quarter jap quarter pole and a mix of belgian and indios
Actually, technically you're a racist.

OT: Dwi'n Cymraeg. So not one of you crazy fun loving Gaels. (Gaels are the Scots, Irish and Manx so yeah you're close enough to them to annoy them with your heritage have fun. ;) )