Irish: are any of you it?

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I am from Cork, but I live in England now.

What an exciting piece of information.

Plus here's another thing (mainly to Americans); being of Irish descent doesn't fucking make you Irish. People (usually Americans) always do that (sometimes to other countries, but usually Ireland), and it annoys me. What the hell makes you think being Irish is special?

Jun 16, 2010
maninahat said:
I was about to be furious, but then I read the OP and realised that this topic isn't as blatant a cultural faux pas as I thought.

The quickest way to get on my nerves is to start talking about geneology, especially if you're an American. I don't know why, but they seem obsessed with the subject, and will often bring it up early in conversation without any prompting whatsoever. The best way to get on the nerves of an Irishman is for an American to refer to themself as "Irish". As far as I'm concerned, if you have absolutely nothing to do with a foreign culture, other than a distant relative who might have been from there, then you shouldn't be giving a shit about heritage. "Acting" Irish comes across as cultural appropriation. An affectation, and nothing more.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Americans in particular have no respect for national identity. The only way to earn the right to call yourself a member of a cultural group is by spending a large portion of your life immersed in that culture. You can't just play the "my great-great-grandfather was Irish" card and expect to be taken seriously.

Lucas Auraelius

WARNING: Cartoon Violence
Feb 25, 2009
I'm either 1/2 to 1/4 Irish. It's hard to tell, given my Swedish side has taken control of my looks.

Wolfpocalypse

Nov 18, 2009
Irish born and bred and proud of it. Most people here seem to be of the 40%/70%/a little bit on me aul grannies side sort of irish and i guess thats fine since we have a habit of filling the world with other irish, as the saying goes where other countries invade we infest. much neater form of warfare really, shame we save all our real violence for each other......

also drinking Guinness doesn't make you irish. nor does being drunk. its a red passport with a little gold harp on it. thats how you know for sure.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
I've never really understood this whole "desire" to be Irish that you see in a lot of people.

Granted it's nice that everyone seems to like us so much.

eggmiester

Mar 10, 2011
born and bred. GO ON YA GOOD THING! high 5 to anyone who gets the reference.

also: just for the craic, how about we discuss all the stereotypes about the irish? for example:

yes, most of us are very heavy drinkers.
we do love potatoes.
9 out of ten families aren't huge. mine's an exception:i have, altogether, 20 uncle's and aunt's.

just off the top of my head. anyone else want to take over?

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Yea, born and raised in Belfast and probably will never stray too far from it. I'm very proud of being from my Wee country, dispite it only ever being in the news for violence.

ScRaT_the_destroyer

King of Fail
Nov 18, 2009
hullo! northerner reporting in! dual citizenship ftw (UK and Éire) i wish i knew my native tongue though its not taught in many schools here in the north. though my ancestry is of Norman(thus Viking descent FUCK YEAH) and Huguenot decent