Irish Bookie Pays Out Early on Modern Warfare 2

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Irish Bookie Pays Out Early on Modern Warfare 2

It's not quite Christmas yet but Irish bookmaker Paddy Power is paying out early on bets for the top-selling game for the holidays in the U.K., saying there's no way anything is going to beat Modern Warfare 2 [http://modernwarfare2.infinityward.com/].

October [http://www.paddypower.com/], unsurprisingly placing Modern Warfare 2 at the top, with 13/8 odds, followed by Assassin's Creed 2, FIFA 10 and Halo 3: ODST. The were a few shakeups in the final odds list, with both Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympic Games and Wii Sports Resort moving into the top five at 6/1, but the game at the top never wavered.

Odds for Modern Warfare 2 had apparently been as high as 2/1 in September but closed at 2/7. Paddy Power's full list of closing odds for the top-selling holiday videogame in the U.K. is as follows:

2/7 Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
9/4 FIFA 10
6/1 Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Winter Games
6/1 Wii Sports Resort
10/1 Assassin's Creed II
14/1 New Super Mario Bros Wii
25/1 Wii Fit Plus
33/1 Halo 3: ODST
33/1 Need For Speed: Shift
33/1 DJ Hero
33/1 Football Manager 2010
50/1 Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
66/1 James Cameron's Avatar: The Game
66/1 PES 2010: Pro Evolution Soccer
80/1 Planet 51: The Game
80/1 Guitar Hero 5
100/1 Lego Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues
100/1 Tekken 6
100/1 Left 4 Dead 2
100/1 The Saboteur
100/1 Ghostbusters: The Video Game
150/1 Brutal Legend
150/1 Ratchet & Clank: A Crack In Time
150/1 Rogue Warrior
150/1 Saw: The Video Game
200/1 Rabbids Go Home (Rayman Raving Rabbids)
200/1 WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2010

"Three out of every four bets placed on the Christmas number one videogame were backing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2," the bookmaker said in a statement. "With this level of support I don't think we're taking too much of a risk by paying out early." Paddy Power will pay out over $17,600 to bettors who put their coin down on the game.

Source: GamesIndustry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/paddy-power-pays-out-early-on-xmas-no-1]

hansari

May 31, 2009
Keyword here being "over the holidays".

Hasn't anyone who wanted Modern Warfare 2 played, borrowed, pirated it already?

I'm surprised to see the odds are still good for it...

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
i dont really understand those numbers, but gambling on games sounds awesome, atm i have to bet on football and other boring sports.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
...Wait, people bet on the relative popularity of Christmas releases? There's my factoid of the day *promptly shuts of knowledge valve*.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
How many more people could really want MW2 that haven't already bought it? I'd put my money on Fifa 10 or Wii Sports Resort personally.

Tron-tonian

Mar 19, 2009
Wow. If Cataclysm is scheduled for next year, I know what my money is going to be on for the year's top seller....

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Tron-tonian said:
Wow. If Cataclysm is scheduled for next year, I know what my money is going to be on for the year's top seller....
The first part/chapter/whatever you want to call it of Starcraft 2 is scheduled for release in 2010 as well. That could be a strong contender against Cataclysm considering it's a national sport in South Korea :p

Either way, it looks to be a very good year for Blizzard.

Pielikey

Jul 31, 2009
As a few have said above me, I'm pretty sure everyone who wants MW2 either already has it or is waiting for it to go on sale.

I would bet on Assassin's Creed 2 or Wii Sports Resort. But I'm not one to put money on game sales, so realistically I wouldn't bet on any of them.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
I can't believe PP is actually placing odds on game sales. I don't bet, but I can't say I don't want to start now.

Zamn

Apr 18, 2009
It's interesting that (as can be seen from some of the comments in this thread) that betting is so socially unacceptable in America compared to Europe.

I think I first noticed this where I saw an episode of The Simpsons where Homer bets on (american) football games with Lisa but keeps it secret from Marge. I remember being totally bemused by the idea that anyone would want be secretive about something like that.

StigmataDiaboli

May 18, 2009
Sorry but what is Rogue Warrior? No wonder its 150/1 if no one has heard of it! Oh and by the way Escapist; why is every Modern Warfare 2 related news picture that of a pile of dead civilians from that No Russian section. Thats about three stories its been stuck onto now! :)