Irish Community Leader Blames Arizona Massacre on Games

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
WHAT?!

*Puts on his green Irish hat*

You're not a real Irishman, ya faker! No REAL Irishman would blame pixels and bytes for the killing of ANY man! Men of Ireland know why people kill people, and it ain't simple games ta' blame!

*Continues to grumble for some time*

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
Knew someone was gonna do it sooner or later. So what video game causes all those bombs in Ireland eh?

Levi93

Oct 26, 2009
i used to see articles like this and twitch nervously. but now i know that the majority of people who present us with these arguements are usually ill informed and never get both sides of the story

"oh look he killed a bunch of people and he plays video games, the video games must be the cause of this!"
now tally up the number of people who play games and havnt killed anybody.

OK so the game may have had an effect but they arn't going to turn us all into rabid killers...not all of us at least. *evil smile*

gellert1984

Apr 16, 2009
Surprised it took this long TBH.

Anywho, cmdr. Sheperd said I should reenact 'no russian' with my local supermarket as the airport, be back (a lot) later.

Roganzar

Winter is coming
Jun 13, 2009

Yes shocking the 22 year old, lunatic, owned video games. Yeah its not like the majority of people in that demographic don't own video games. One moment, ("You stupid Irish twat!!!!") thank you for your patients.
So, here we have yet another, *sigh*, knee jerk, blame video games, have to blame something since we can't seem to accept that some people are, simply put, broken. This is in no way different than blaming the retoric that comes from Fox News and MSNBC or blaming Sarah Palin for having crosshairs on a map, (Sorry, Sarah we know they were crosshairs not surveyor's marks), or trying to pass knee jerk gun laws or laws that supposedly temper the tone of the retoric.
This was a tragedy and this man is lunatic. None of these reactions will bring back to life a little girl or any of the other vitims. Sadly, when it comes down to it, if someone wants to do something bad enough there isn't a single law that will really stop them, delay enough for them to give away their plans, but not stop them.

P.S.: *grumbles* Stupid President preemting Modern Family with heartfelt speach *grumble*

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
I guess Jack the Ripper played a lot of Halo 3 or Gears of War...oh wait , that wasnt out... Pong maybe ? :p

If I remember correctly this gamer was into a text based MMO, hardly more violent than a typical horror book ( challenge you to read : Stephan Layman books and retain your sanity ).

... what was the mass murder inducing device of Jack the Rippers era, anyways ? Monopoly ?

Feb 13, 2008
Generic Gamer said:
If you really want to shut anti-gaming voices up you need to figure out what is causing the problem, not keep asserting that it's not gaming.
I know exactly what's causing the problem: the paranoia fueled media outlets.

"Your 15 minutes of fame free. Just shoot someone and leave us enough clues to blame it on the demon of the day."

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I guess he hasn't read the research that shows no proof of violence in video games being linked to violent behavior.

I like how the blames everyone, liberals (Hollywood) the NRA (Conservative) and Videogames (not really one or the other)

Ya know, sometimes people are just messed up. Columbine didn't happen because of Marilyn Manson and Doom. Virginia Tech didn't happen because of whatever that guy played, and Arizona didn't happen because of Video Games either.

Sure this guy had warning signs that he wasn't completely mentally stable. The fact is there was nothing anyone could really do to stop this, that's why it is a tragedy.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
I play games since I was 8 years old. I haven't killed anyone. Your argument is invalid.

Lma0nade

Jul 25, 2010
This is too fucking far. There are people who are suffering out there because of this tragedy, and people still need to find a goddamn blame for this. These people making such accusations are beyond reasonable words. These people should be jailed for making up shit like this. Coming home and reading this kind of shit make me want to throw up.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
FalloutJack said:
WHAT?!

*Puts on his green Irish hat*

You're not a real Irishman, ya faker! No REAL Irishman would blame pixels and bytes for the killing of ANY man! Men of Ireland know why people kill people, and it ain't simple games ta' blame!

*Continues to grumble for some time*
Considering the second word of the headline and the cover of his book, I'm going to jump to conclusions and say that you may be closer to the mark than you think. (Of course, I'm probably talking out of my arse here, since I haven't so much as checked on Google if the previous sentence is at all accurate).

Aiden_the-Joker1

Apr 21, 2010
Well we all knew this was coming. It can't have been political, vengeful or insanity, no the games caused the shooter to go crazy then calmly acquire a firearm then crazily shoot those poor people. The time will come when people look back on the violent video games thing and laugh. Just before they go outside and protest how virtual reality is harming the children. This was a tragic event A person killed several people but I think it is absurd to blame any one thing for these instances.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
The only thing surprising in this is that it took someone so long before the official "It's video games' fault" line was said. Points for waiting more than one day moron.

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
Didn't crazy people exist before games came about?

Don't get me wrong, to a certain extent I feel sorry for the shooter. He was obviously disturbed and unbalanced. It's sad to know that you could be so not in control of your own thoughts, scary even. And I think it's a failure of the people around him and in his life not to notice this and try to help him.

EDIT: I noticed that I was assuming too much with that last statement. People could have tried to help him, but he could have been too far gone or unwilling to accept help. It could even be that he was able to keep a face of normalicy around others. Because I didn't experience this man's life, I don't know exactly what was going on and I wanted to clarify.

But people like this have existed long before video games. Video games may have given them ideas, I even think that it might possibly speed up their pyschosis (I don't say this for certain cause I'm not a licensced psychologist), but even without them, they would get their own ideas, they would hurt someone sooner or later, and the fact that we don't take care of others and say "it's not my business" shouldn't keep me from playing my video games.

That's like saying "so and so can't enjoy soup because it could trigger a reaction that makes him or her violent, no one else in the U.S. can have soup either."