Iron-Blooded Orphans - Gundam, anime, and child soldiers

Jul 9, 2011
So episode 14 of the show has come and gone, and I've been of middling opinion about the series. Feel free to add your own thoughts/reactions/etc. to this show and others like it. (Also, if a general IBO thread already exists, feel free to merge/delete this one.)

Just one thing I wanted to talk about, and see what people think on the matter. Quoting from another forum I frequent:

On a general note, it's more than a little disturbing how much people seem to like the "cool emotionally-stunted child soldier" character. Like, he's actually really super messed up and damaged for a kid his age, why are you cheering that on and implicitly encouraging real kids to emulate that? Like anime uses the child soldier trope so often without ever addressing all the problems with it, both in-canon and in the meta-narrative. At least IBO acknowledges that it's a point of political discourse in-universe. You look at Naruto, where twelve-year old kids are assassinating people, and not a single person stops to say, "Hey guys, I know we were kind of forced to use kids in battle during the last war, desperate times and all, but now that there's been ten years of peace, what say we raise the academy graduation age a year or two, yeah?"

EDIT:

So one thought on the third episode, kind of refining my point above: There's a lot of glorification of the child soldier in this show, and (I've slowly come to see) in mainstream (shounen?) anime overall. Youth violence is glamourized... And judging by how positive the reaction to it is, it seems many people both in Japan and outside seem to share this sentiment. It's understandable that kids/teens will be attracted to it, but the older ones among us should be approaching this with a bit more... trepidation, no? Apprehension? I say this with the ongoing suicide epidemic in Japan in mind. Perhaps that and this culture of encouraging youth militantism have some relation...? I'm no expert on said culture, obviously, and I'm not even sure if I'm thinking about the right things in the right frames of mind, so for now it's just a thought, an untestable hypothesis. From what I understand, the rate of youth suicide in Japan is especially alarming.

But what's the opposite end of glamorization? Depicting all war kids as pitiable? That's reductionist in its own way. That's the kind of dehumanization that leads to those godawful "for just five cents a day" commercials that Hollywood actors love to take part in to feel better about themselves. Armchair activism. IBO does a nice job rejecting that from the get-go - Mikazuki and the other kids spend just as much time being stupid honest kids as they do being ruthless efficient soldiers - and it wastes no time bringing Kudelia's idealism down to Earth (or Mars, as it were).

But it still remains that the show (and its fans) doesn't cast its commentary in the other direction, either.

I dunno. Anyway. Ten more to go.
Since that post, I've caught up on the episodes, but the show still shifts wildly for me from good solid writing to the dullest Gundam cliches. It, and the majority of Gundam really, is nothing I could ever recommend as good anime or just good entertainment in general. It's certainly no Macross Delta, which also just premiered (its prologue episode) and has generally left a stronger impression on me.

Anyway. Feel free to discuss and/or discredit, all.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
I haven't seen any of the shows you mention, or much anime at-all actually, so I can't really comment on any specific show. I have however written about child characters being forced to kill, or being put in other awful situations, and my own two cents that you can find a character type interesting without necessarily endorsing what's happening to them. Generally we like drama in our entertainment, we like broken people who have been pushed to their limits, we like an underdog. Cheering on a child soldier in a show doesn't mean we're endorsing that in real life, any-more than enjoying the character of Hannibal Lecter in Silence of the Lambs means that we're implicitly endorsing serial killers, or enjoying the characters in Snatch means we're supporting gangsters.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I admit I'm part of the crowd for loving the main character for being a cold blooded soldier BUT that only because I am so fed up with the last few protagonsts in the past Gundam shows.

Kio (Gundam AGE) and Banagher (Gundam Unicorn) were part of the trope "accidental pilots" and kicked ass for having little training compared to a proper pilot. What's worse is that they hesistate which can cost them alot in the long run.

Mikazuki was the intended pilot for Barbatos cos he had the three implants on his back needed to pilot that thing. While he cannot read but it thanks to those implant it look like he had become "one" with Barbatos and his combat training make him a force to reckon with in close melee combat. Also his cold exterior means he get the job done, fast and easy unlike some pilots.

Beside with the complain made against him, have people forgot Heero Yue from Gundam Wing who pretty much stayed the same cold soldier throughtout the series. At least with the recent episode they did humanize Mikazuki abit like that flashback it was thanks to him that he saved that cook girl life.

Also you pretty much have to be stupid to think children will emulate the whole children soldier or children in combat like Naruto. I mean the whole point of tv, anime, game and book etc is to escape from fantasy. Ok sure Gundam has always been based on real event and theme (in the new series, children soldier) and I am aware they are real children of war. At the end of the day, I KNOW it's a fantasy show and I guess I am ignornant of the truth (real children in war). Beside ain't the whole mature theme in children show in Asia is their way of toughen the children up or at least to get them think about the morality of it all (that what I read when I was making an origin of anime essay due to the event of the Atomic Bomb).

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
I admit I'm part of the crowd for loving the main character for being a cold blooded soldier BUT that only because I am so fed up with the last few protagonsts in the past Gundam shows.

Kio (Gundam AGE) and Banagher (Gundam Unicorn) were part of the trope "accidental pilots" and kicked ass for having little training compared to a proper pilot. What's worse is that they hesistate which can cost them alot in the long run.
Pretty much all of the main protagonist pilots in Gundam started as children or teenagers. Amuro Ray was 15 when he became the pilot of the Gundam in Mobile Suit Gundam, Kamille Bidan was about the same age when he stole a Gundam MK II and joined AEUG. Setsuna F Seiei was a teenager when Celestial Being started armed interventions in Gundam 00. The few pilots who break the mold are either not the main character, or the main characters from side stories. Like Lockon Stratos was an adult, but just barely compared to the other Gundam Meisters in Gundam 00. Where as Shiro Amada of Gundam the 08TH MS Team, Kou Uraki of Gundam 0083 Star Dust Memory, and Christina Mackenzie of Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket were all adults, but were protagonists of side story shows in the Universal Century.

Scarim Coral said:
Beside with the complain made against him, have people forgot Heero Yue from Gundam Wing who pretty much stayed the same cold soldier throughtout the series. At least with the recent episode they did humanize Mikazuki abit like that flashback it was thanks to him that he saved that cook girl life.
Heero Yuy wasn't much of a character, but then again all of the characters of Gundam Wing were pretty much 2 dimensional characters. Heero though, we can basically accurately label him a Mary Sue/Gary Stu, because he could basically do no wrong, despite having the emotional depth of a spoon. He was also the super mega best pilot in the show and had plot armor 10 times thicker than any other character. Then again for narrative and characters in general, Gundam Wing was absolute tripe.

Jul 9, 2011
JoJo said:
my own two cents that you can find a character type interesting without necessarily endorsing what's happening to them.
If my implication was that you must endorse something in order to enjoy it, then I worded myself poorly. I expanded upon my opinion in the other forums. The criticism isn't so much that it features something controversial at all, but rather that

1) the show doesn't do much with it, and more importantly,

2) the audience doesn't do much with it.

What's interesting is that the show itself DOES seem to want to talk about the subject matter. It explicitly brings it up as a motivator for one of the characters. But it doesn't go much further beyond that until well into the series, and even then the way it's handled is... heavy-handed, or not at all. It doesn't help that the main character himself isn't very interesting. Or, rather, he could be but nothing is done with him. He's a side character who gets pushed to the forefront simply by nature of his being The Gundam Pilot (the same way Heero Yuy was in Wing, and he was just as insufferable). It feels like the writers are stifled by the Gundam universe, like their best efforts at sharp, smart writing are being thwarted by having to adhere to the Gundam "formula."

Why audience reaction concerns me (well, it's more so an intellectual curiosity) is because the majority of fans, young and old alike, seems to really love the main protagonist, but there's a seeming lack of self-awareness to all the praise they throw at him. His Gundam looks so cool! He's such a cold-hearted badass! Did you see the way he shot that dude in the face?

Did YOU? I can understand a kid getting it in their heads that that's so cool and whatnot, but why are the adults among us adding their voices to all that praise and implicitly telling other kids that it's "badass" to act the way that he does?

It feels a little bit like unintentional propaganda. The creators designed the show to be 20-minute long toy commercials, and so far it has succeeded spectacularly in that regard, but there has been zero attention paid to the other effects it may or may not be having on anime-viewing audiences. Said anime-viewing audience sees the spectacle, gets distracted by the slick action and the cool mecha designs, and they miss the way the underlying messages of the show seep into their collective consciousness. They buy the merchandise, they do the free advertising, the creators design more 20-minute long toy commercials with potentially dangerous subliminal advertising, and so on and so forth.

Scarim Coral said:
Say what you will about either of them, and I can say a whole lot about Banagher, but isn't that to be expected from children in their positions?

Beside with the complain made against him, have people forgot Heero Yue from Gundam Wing who pretty much stayed the same cold soldier throughtout the series.
Actually, I think he's the one fans have been comparing Mikazuki to the most, and for good reason. They're very similar, and the worship of them and their robots is similar. And I have very similar criticisms of both of them. Their robots are cool. They're not. The only reason they persist is because Gundam is following The Gundam Way.

Also you pretty much have to be stupid to think children will emulate the whole children soldier or children in combat like Naruto. I mean the whole point of tv, anime, game and book etc is to escape from fantasy.
Thanks for the insult?

When Satoshi Kon was interviewed about his anime movie Paprika, he said, "In Japan not just children but adults in their 20s and 30s will chose anime and manga as a means of escape from their real lives, but I think there is a danger too. If you go into that world, it is very vivid and colorful and seductive, but there are big traps within that, particularly if you let your real world deteriorate as a result."

What I think he's getting at is a sort of cultural overindulgence in anime. It gets to the point where the expectations you have for anime begin to bleed into the real world, not just in one person here and there, but entire communities and indeed entire nations. He was worried about the effects of excessive anime/media consumption on Japanese society. Paprika is entirely about the dangers of fantasy being superimposed upon reality.

I mentioned the suicide epidemic, which is apparently especially prominent among teenage males (ie those directly targeted by mainstream shounen anime), and one of my questions was how/if a culture of anime consumption, unaware of the unconscious effects it has on its audience, relates to this phenomenon.

Again, it's nothing more than a thought exercise at this point, a stray hypothesis. But it's one I think is worth exploring.

Beside ain't the whole mature theme in children show in Asia is their way of toughen the children up or at least to get them think about the morality of it all (that what I read when I was making an origin of anime essay due to the event of the Atomic Bomb).
I can't say much on this regard, but I do know that America tends to be, compared to the rest of the world, far more prudish and far more protective of our children, and that kind of attitude has its benefits and disadvantages.

As for the origin of anime, it has very little to do with the atomic bomb. World War II certainly steered anime down a certain path, the same as it did much of Japan's culture, but anime, depending on how strict you are in defining it, existed long before a nuke ever did.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
gandhi the peacemake said:
There's a good chance you've already seen it, but if not, I would recommend watching Neon Genesis Evangelion. It does a good job of justifying why the army has to use 14 year old child soldiers, while also depicting the mental affect war and violence has on youth. It was reacting to exactly the sort of thing you've noticed.

As for why it started? Well, the target audience for those kinds of shows would have been teenagers to begin with, so it makes sense that the protagonists would all be teenagers as well. It's the same reason Aang, from Avatar, isn't 35 years old. Over time the audience grew up, and so did the shows, and the subject matter grew darker. Some shows focused on adults, but a lot of them still focused on children. While the child soldier trope is still played straight today, especially with Shonen, there have been shows that have explored the idea a bit more realistically.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Personally I started off mostly disliking IBO, though I do like the Gundam in this one. However the show got better in the later episodes and I'm starting to like it now. Because now it's less generic shonen "FRIENDSHIP SOLVES EVERYTHING" and more like Gundam "You know what sucks? War."

Jul 9, 2011
Fox12 said:
There's a good chance you've already seen it, but if not, I would recommend watching Neon Genesis Evangelion. It does a good job of justifying why the army has to use 14 year old child soldiers, while also depicting the mental affect war and violence has on youth. It was reacting to exactly the sort of thing you've noticed.
Yeah, Eva's one of my favorite mecha anime, partly for doing exactly that.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
What, I always thought that Orga was more popular and as for the writers doing nothing to him I disagree. While its slower and not in the open the show does make Mizuki more human as time goes on, I guess the reason why Mikizi isn't as emotional about this as say Shinji is because hes pretty much used to it at this point.

Jul 9, 2011
PapaGreg096 said:
What, I always thought that Orga was more popular and as for the writers doing nothing to him I disagree. While its slower and not in the open the show does make Mizuki more human as time goes on, I guess the reason why Mikizi isn't as emotional about this as say Shinji is because hes pretty much used to it at this point.
I don't know about popularity rankings, but it doesn't surprise me that Orga is more popular. More to my point, though (I think, anyway... I didn't see any particular part of my wall of text quoted), I say there's no reason why he (and/or Kudelia) shouldn't be the main character. There's no reason why the story shouldn't focus on him/her, and the emotional journey that we follow be theirs. Mikazuki is a cipher, a nothing character who nevertheless siphons screen time and character time from other, more interesting characters (like Orga and the immediate UST with his financier, and Kudelia with her political crusade).

And again, his history as a child soldier is ripe for the tackling, and to its credit, IBO does a decent job of depicting the entirety of Tekkadan as the rounded bunch of fighting kids that they are, but there's just so much potential there that the writers either choose or are forced not to utilize.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
PapaGreg096 said:
I don't know about popularity rankings, but it doesn't surprise me that Orga is more popular. More to my point, though (I think, anyway... I didn't see any particular part of my wall of text quoted), I say there's no reason why he (and/or Kudelia) shouldn't be the main character. There's no reason why the story shouldn't focus on him/her, and the emotional journey that we follow be theirs. Mikazuki is a cipher, a nothing character who nevertheless siphons screen time and character time from other, more interesting characters (like Orga and the immediate UST with his financier, and Kudelia with her political crusade).

And again, his history as a child soldier is ripe for the tackling, and to its credit, IBO does a decent job of depicting the entirety of Tekkadan as the rounded bunch of fighting kids that they are, but there's just so much potential there that the writers either choose or are forced not to utilize.
Orga and Kudelia are easily the most boring characters in the show. And their hair is distracting. [https://youtu.be/VPb7mFq55Zw?t=1m35s] I want to follow Akihiro more.

Jul 9, 2011
crimson5pheonix said:
Orga and Kudelia are easily the most boring characters in the show. And their hair is distracting. [https://youtu.be/VPb7mFq55Zw?t=1m35s] I want to follow Akihiro more.
Yeah, he's not bad either, I guess. I think the thing to take away from all this is that Mikazuki is THE WORST.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
crimson5pheonix said:
Yeah, he's not bad either, I guess. I think the thing to take away from all this is that Mikazuki is THE WORST.
We'll see, because the show is taking a more interesting direction now. But yes, based on what we've seen so far, he's a worse Inaho [http://aldnoahzero.wikia.com/wiki/Inaho_Kaizuka] (I also consider Kudelia a worse Asseylum [http://aldnoahzero.wikia.com/wiki/Asseylum_Vers_Allusia] for now and was looking at IBO as a bad copy of AZ).

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Scarim Coral said:
Say what you will about either of them, and I can say a whole lot about Banagher, but isn't that to be expected from children in their positions?

Beside with the complain made against him, have people forgot Heero Yue from Gundam Wing who pretty much stayed the same cold soldier throughtout the series.
Actually, I think he's the one fans have been comparing Mikazuki to the most, and for good reason. They're very similar, and the worship of them and their robots is similar. And I have very similar criticisms of both of them. Their robots are cool. They're not. The only reason they persist is because Gundam is following The Gundam Way.

Also you pretty much have to be stupid to think children will emulate the whole children soldier or children in combat like Naruto. I mean the whole point of tv, anime, game and book etc is to escape from reality.
Thanks for the insult?

When Satoshi Kon was interviewed about his anime movie Paprika, he said, "In Japan not just children but adults in their 20s and 30s will chose anime and manga as a means of escape from their real lives, but I think there is a danger too. If you go into that world, it is very vivid and colorful and seductive, but there are big traps within that, particularly if you let your real world deteriorate as a result."

What I think he's getting at is a sort of cultural overindulgence in anime. It gets to the point where the expectations you have for anime begin to bleed into the real world, not just in one person here and there, but entire communities and indeed entire nations. He was worried about the effects of excessive anime/media consumption on Japanese society. Paprika is entirely about the dangers of fantasy being superimposed upon reality.

I mentioned the suicide epidemic, which is apparently especially prominent among teenage males (ie those directly targeted by mainstream shounen anime), and one of my questions was how/if a culture of anime consumption, unaware of the unconscious effects it has on its audience, relates to this phenomenon.

Again, it's nothing more than a thought exercise at this point, a stray hypothesis. But it's one I think is worth exploring.

Beside ain't the whole mature theme in children show in Asia is their way of toughen the children up or at least to get them think about the morality of it all (that what I read when I was making an origin of anime essay due to the event of the Atomic Bomb).
I can't say much on this regard, but I do know that America tends to be, compared to the rest of the world, far more prudish and far more protective of our children, and that kind of attitude has its benefits and disadvantages.

As for the origin of anime, it has very little to do with the atomic bomb. World War II certainly steered anime down a certain path, the same as it did much of Japan's culture, but anime, depending on how strict you are in defining it, existed long before a nuke ever did.
In order of the quote starting at the top-

1. I guess but I was expecting for them to make the "hard decision" eventhought I know that will fucked/ colder them up in the long run. I mean that is part of life/ growning up that you may have to make some hard decisions. I mean e.g. Flit could had killed that red haired X rounder boy and yes killing a boy is messed up but by sparing his life, it came biting him in the ass when he had grown up and killed Wolfe. Banagher is the worst offender since apparently that one scene of interacting that girl they somehow became bff and he was too much of a pussy to fire the shot. I have little to none sympathy for that girl since she comminit mass murder toward the citizen of that city just cos she had a fit which is linked to the massive mobile suit. Even her cause of violence was a weak one too (so her mother was killed, how is that any different from any other characters in the shows and she certainly make some surviving children motherless thanks to her fit)! Sure he did try to reasons with her but it was a lost cause so she had to be put down which he couldn't do.

2. N/A

3. Oh wait, that was your actual quote from the other site? I thought it was a random comment you just copy and paste.
I'm not a believer of the whole emulate thing (lived shows like Power Ranger I can get) or rather I see the agument the same as the whole "violence games make people violence". Granted that is an interesting point from Kon (I am a fan of his works) and Hayao is unhappy with the current anime industry.

4, That I can agreed on (American are shielding their kids).

Wasn't Astro Boy was the first anime? I know there was another anime like show before Astro Boy (a propaganda during the war) however any foorage of it is pretty much lost. If I remember from my reseach, wasm't Astro Boy was made to try to teach them to not fear technology since after the atomic bomb, they did became scare of technology?

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
crimson5pheonix said:
crimson5pheonix said:
We'll see, because the show is taking a more interesting direction now. But yes, based on what we've seen so far, he's a worse Inaho [http://aldnoahzero.wikia.com/wiki/Inaho_Kaizuka] (I also consider Kudelia a worse Asseylum [http://aldnoahzero.wikia.com/wiki/Asseylum_Vers_Allusia] for now and was looking at IBO as a bad copy of AZ).
Seriously Mikazuki is worse then Inhao, at least Mikazuki has emotions at least Mikazuki doesn't have all the answers and has stregnths and weaknesses

Jul 9, 2011
crimson5pheonix said:
I've heard the comparisons to Aldnoah Zero, too. I've only seen the first few minutes of the first episode, but I can see why people would make the comparison.

Kudelia confounds me. She's a lot like Mikazuki in that she starts out really interesting - a sociopolitical activist who's already managed to negotiate the economic freedom of Mars? whaaaaat - but instantly becomes a nothing character. Like, she becomes a... housewife? Almost all of her scenes (as of episode 13, I haven't seen 14 yet and don't really have the desire) with the Tekkadan she learns how to become a traditional lover/mother/sister figure to everyone, and it's just. so. boring. And the few scenes where she DOES have to be politically engaged, she's an insecure waif. What happened to the girl who WON RIGHTS FOR AN ENTIRE PLANET!?!?!?!?

Her caretaker's cool, though. Also super shady from the get-go, and if what I hear about episode 14 is true, it is totally unsurprising what happens with her.

Scarim Coral said:
I guess but I was expecting for them to make the "hard decision"
Banagher was too much of a pussy to fire the shot.
Banagher irritates me as a character in general. Actually, the concept of the Newtype irritates me in general. It's the ubermensch, the "ideal of human progress," except that in practice it has always just proven itself to be another way to hierarchically categorize humanity.

If you can get past that, though, and accept that Banagher's just that much better than the rest of humanity because he's just that much more empathetic to other characters, then him struggling to shoot is understandable. At that moment, I'd imagine he's feeling the disparate feelings of every single person who's affected by the attack (both the ones attacking and the ones being attacked), and trying his darnedest to just make everything stop so that he and everybody else doesn't get overwhelmed by it all.

It makes sense then that Riddhe(?) would come in and take the shot.

Wasn't Astro Boy was the first anime? I know there was another anime like show before Astro Boy (a propaganda during the war) however any foorage of it is pretty much lost. If I remember from my reseach, wasm't Astro Boy was made to try to teach them to not fear technology since after the atomic bomb, they did became scare of technology?
Like I said, that depends on how strictly you want to define "anime." Osamu Tezuka is widely credited with pioneering the "anime style" as it's understood today - everything from the art style to the storytelling habits/beats - but anime as "Japanese-created consecutive images shown in rapid progression" existed as far back as the early 1900s (around the same time that animation and film as we know it now began taking shape in the West). Anime then didn't have nearly the same effect on Japanese society as Tezuka/Astro Boy, but then they didn't exist in a world with atom bombs and a national tragedy. But they did exist.

And even before the advent of film, I'm sure there existed devices that expressed movement through still images. I just don't know enough of Japanese history to say what and when.

Jeopardy Surface

Oct 23, 2015
crimson5pheonix said:
I've heard the comparisons to Aldnoah Zero, too. I've only seen the first few minutes of the first episode, but I can see why people would make the comparison.

Kudelia confounds me. She's a lot like Mikazuki in that she starts out really interesting - a sociopolitical activist who's already managed to negotiate the economic freedom of Mars? whaaaaat - but instantly becomes a nothing character. Like, she becomes a... housewife? Almost all of her scenes (as of episode 13, I haven't seen 14 yet and don't really have the desire) with the Tekkadan she learns how to become a traditional lover/mother/sister figure to everyone, and it's just. so. boring. And the few scenes where she DOES have to be politically engaged, she's an insecure waif. What happened to the girl who WON RIGHTS FOR AN ENTIRE PLANET!?!?!?!?

Her caretaker's cool, though. Also super shady from the get-go, and if what I hear about episode 14 is true, it is totally unsurprising what happens with her.

Scarim Coral said:
I guess but I was expecting for them to make the "hard decision"
Banagher was too much of a pussy to fire the shot.
Banagher irritates me as a character in general. Actually, the concept of the Newtype irritates me in general. It's the ubermensch, the "ideal of human progress," except that in practice it has always just proven itself to be another way to hierarchically categorize humanity.

If you can get past that, though, and accept that Banagher's just that much better than the rest of humanity because he's just that much more empathetic to other characters, then him struggling to shoot is understandable. At that moment, I'd imagine he's feeling the disparate feelings of every single person who's affected by the attack (both the ones attacking and the ones being attacked), and trying his darnedest to just make everything stop so that he and everybody else doesn't get overwhelmed by it all.

It makes sense then that Riddhe(?) would come in and take the shot.

Like I said, that depends on how strictly you want to define "anime." Osamu Tezuka is widely credited with pioneering the "anime style" as it's understood today - everything from the art style to the storytelling habits/beats - but anime as "Japanese-created consecutive images shown in rapid progression" existed as far back as the early 1900s (around the same time that animation and film as we know it now began taking shape in the West). Anime then didn't have nearly the same effect on Japanese society as Tezuka/Astro Boy, but then they didn't exist in a world with atom bombs and a national tragedy. But they did exist.

And even before the advent of film, I'm sure there existed devices that expressed movement through still images. I just don't know enough of Japanese history to say what and when.
Honestly, single works and artists can just have that much of an impact. A kind of similar thing in the West was the growing fascination with psychopaths, sociopaths, and especially serial killers. That sort of blew up when Silence of The Lambs hit, especially the movie version. What had been a kind of small subculture is now an unquestioned part of every detective series, police procedural, and even non-genre works. "The Serial Killer" is the ultimate bad man, or badass. There is a similar strain of "The special forces operator as a dark god" or "James Bond the spy", but they're a lot easier to understand.

A lot of things in anime and manga are just that way now because the early gods of the medium influenced so many people that way. We're seeing a similar explosion of that type relating to the Harry Potter novels. Sometimes a culture just gets fascinated by something, and anime grew out of people who lived through WWII, and the trauma and terrors of total war are a big thing for them.

It's not like 'Silence of The Lambs' was the first book ever written, or the best or the most influential. It did strike a chord though, and continues to do so. The issue isn't that Astro Boy was first, but rather how fundamental it is in so many way.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
PapaGreg096 said:
crimson5pheonix said:
crimson5pheonix said:
Seriously Mikazuki is worse then Inhao, at least Mikazuki has emotions at least Mikazuki doesn't have all the answers and has stregnths and weaknesses
I've seen the shonen idiot hero trope pulled before, Mikazuki is boring to me (so far).

crimson5pheonix said:

Having seen the entire show, there are quite a few parallels between the characters and background. Inaho in AZ was fun though because he beat borderline super robots with simple physics.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
crimson5pheonix said:
PapaGreg096 said:
crimson5pheonix said:
crimson5pheonix said:
I've seen the shonen idiot hero trope pulled before, Mikazuki is boring to me (so far).

crimson5pheonix said:

Having seen the entire show, there are quite a few parallels between the characters and background. Inaho in AZ was fun though because he beat borderline super robots with simple physics.
Except Mikizuki isn't an idiot hero, hes uneducated sure but he is far from stupid, Inhao is pretty much a MAry Tzu, his plans always work and hes barely challenged if at all. Mikizuki at least has some sort of arc and is currently in some kind of character development

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
PapaGreg096 said:
crimson5pheonix said:
PapaGreg096 said:
crimson5pheonix said:
crimson5pheonix said:

crimson5pheonix said:

Except Mikizuki isn't an idiot hero, hes uneducated sure but he is far from stupid, Inhao is pretty much a MAry Tzu, his plans always work and hes barely challenged if at all. Mikizuki at least has some sort of arc and is currently in some kind of character development
NOW Mikazuki is, which is why I'm being nicer to the show. The first 10 or so episodes though were boring. Inaho may have almost always been right, but his plans were admittedly simple before he got a calculator attached to his brain.