Irrational Prototypes Inspire Other 2K Teams

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Irrational Prototypes Inspire Other 2K Teams

Not every concept that Irrational dreams up made it into a game, but Ken Levine says that some of the stuff it didn't use may find its way into other 2K games.

The aerial city of Columbia wasn't the first idea that Irrational Games had for its follow-up to BioShock Infinite [http://www.amazon.com/BioShock-Playstation-3/dp/B001B1W3GG/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1283541820&sr=1-1]. We won't ever get to play the games those prototypes would have become, but we might get to play games inspired by them, which is nearly as good.

Levine said that the advantage of focusing on shooters was that ideas you had that didn't fit in one game could possibly be applied to another. He added that some ideas from Irrational's prototype would make it into BioSiock Infinite, while others may turn up in other games.

Levine is humble however, and says that Irrational shouldn't take the credit for these ideas. In his opinion, the hard part of working in videogames is not coming up with cool ideas, it was realizing those ideas and making them into something fun, although he said it made him happy to see Irrational's ideas live on.

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/news/irrational-prototype-ideas-living-2k]

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Im very much looking forward to seeing what they are going to do different here, and should be really, really intresting at the very least

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
So... what other teams did they inspire? What did they inspire them with? What other ideas could they have had before a FLYING CITY IN THE SKY!

I call space, since that would have came after Bioshock. A giant space station with mutated Humans... No wonder they got rid of it! That sounds generic as hell!

Calumon: I'd hate to be up there in the sky. Right now according to everyone there are pigs up there! >.<

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Cassita said:
Jack and Calumon said:
So... what other teams did they inspire? What did they inspire them with? What other ideas could they have had before a FLYING CITY IN THE SKY!

I call space, since that would have came after Bioshock. A giant space station with mutated Humans... No wonder they got rid of it! That sounds generic as hell!

Calumon: I'd hate to be up there in the sky. Right now according to everyone there are pigs up there! >.<
I see what you did there and I laughed a little. Thank you.
Which part? ;) I too was amused.

I remember reading a while back about the concept of game ideas being essentially worthless: no one wants to pay for your idea (back in a games jobs issue a while back). I frequently have ideas for games that I'd like to develop, and I have the programming skills, but I just never quite get around to it. It's nice to hear some creative people are influencing others; BioShock is a good direction for games to have these days, and being influenced by the creators of it can't be bad.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
I can't wait for Infinite, it looks like it is going to be a great game. I'd also like to know where the third game will take us. So far we've been underwater, Infinite will take us to the skies, so where will number three (if it happens) take us to? Underground, perhaps?

EDIT: I have no idea why, but I'm kind of hoping the old guy is the player character.

EDIT 2.0: I'm referring to Bioshock games by Irrational games, so 2 isn't included.

About To Crash

Apr 24, 2009
After Bioshock 2, I find myself... cautiously optimistic about Infinite. Obviously I still want a good game out of it, and the visuals, because I don't have anything else to go on, are startlingly impressive, but will a sunny sky land really bring the equivalent of what the dark undersea originally gave us? I'm not looking for the same game, but I am looking for an experience that's just as good.

In regards to the actual article, it's good to see that the ideas that Irrational came up with weren't considered too irrational to not be included in other games. And while the real work may indeed be realizing the ideas, it's good to know that 2K recognize that the ideas they're hearing are good, and want to implement them, even if not in the game they're suggested for.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
theSovietConnection said:
I can't wait for Infinite, it looks like it is going to be a great game. I'd also like to know where the third game will take us. So far we've been underwater, Infinite will take us to the skies, so where will number three (if it happens) take us to? Underground, perhaps?

EDIT: I have no idea why, but I'm kind of hoping the old guy is the player character.
Uhhh unless this is a different Bioshock Infinite is the third game.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
fanklok said:
theSovietConnection said:

Uhhh unless this is a different Bioshock Infinite is the third game.
I'm referring to the ones by Irrational, I should clear that up in my post.

I only really look at 2 as an expansion, that's what it really seems like to me.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
Dr. McD said:
Orcus_35 said:
After that, will it be Waterworld or Mad Max environment settings?
I'm going to give a wild guess and say Vietnam in 1920, because the series has seen more than enough of the ocean and other games have seen more than enough post-apocalyptic desert, but have there been ANY games in 1920's Vietnam?
or maybe space cowboys vs the third reich...