Irrational: PS3 Won't Hold Back BioShock Infinite

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Jumplion said:
Treblaine said:
Eh, even with all of that, I still don't think anyone needs to complain about it anymore. I'm not saying Ken Levine is, but if we're still pointing to an article almost 1 1/2 years old [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92333-Valve-Says-PS3-Complexity-Hinders-Game-Development] when that company is finally switching over to PS3, with Steamworks no less, then I think we all just need to step back and say, "Whatever, make us a great game regardless of platform."

Though I think I'm rambling here, it's early in the morning...
Well I think if there are any doubts at all about the Capability at least of the PS3, there should be none with the likes of Killzone, Uncharted and Gran Turismo 5 and so many more.

Though I'd bet Bioshock Infinite will be best on PC. The Shooter and action-RPG fusion originated on PC and has always been best on PC, mainly down to the mouse controls, there is a lot of quick aiming and pointing with few assists (raise iron sights).

Course if the PS3 version integrated Move, that would really be something. But I'd still rather play a game like this in 1080p (maybe also 60frames/sec) and you're only going to get that with PC.

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
Megacherv said:
UE3 (if they've finally decided to upgrade from UE2.5) is meant to be very well supported on the PS3 I think, what with Unreal Tournament 3 being far superior on the PS3 version than the 360 version.
Its surprise that other games company don't even consider this though technically it makes it pc port but very good one on all platforms. And by that I mean al games are made on pc's.

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
So basically.. the PS3 version isn't a port of the PC or 360 version..... the PC and 360 versions are a ports of the PS3 version?

I'm not sure I mind this too much.. I'd be pissed if everything was crippled because it was based on a 360 version, but the PS3 is far stronger than the 360, so it'll be more akin to what the PC can handle.

Fair enough.

sune-ku

Cynical optimist
Mar 25, 2009
theultimateend said:
The X360's way of handling load is like having a 1 Gallon bottle. If you want to fill it with water, you get 1 gallon of water. If you fill it with wine, you have 1 gallon of wine. If you want to fill half and half, you can.

The PS3's architecture is like having three 1/2 Gallon bottles, except you can only put water on Bottle A, wine on Bottle B and beer on Bottle C

The PS3 has more total power, and if you are utilizing all dedicated sources, you can create more powerful stuff than the x360, but if you want to dedicate all the power to a specific instruction, the x360 is superior.

This makes programming for the PS3 a lot harder, because you can't dedicate all the resources to a specific kind of instruction, and it's also why you can't just port stuff from the PC or x360 into it.
I may have to steal this analogy from now on... I've been trying to explain the differences to people for ages and never managed to put it so clearly!

Chameliondude

Jul 21, 2009
AnythingOutstanding said:
So it is holding PC and Xbox 360 back so that Sonybots don't *****.

Beautiful.
No, not at all, its like if they were developing a game for pc and mac, instead of doing a port, they develop in tandem, making it look equally good on both, overcoming problems with both systems as they come up in development, im very sure it will run at full capacity for both consoles...

Stop being a fanboy and read the thread before posting

The Hive Mind

Nov 11, 2010
First of all I would just like to say that this game will most likely be made for the PC first and foremost; the first bioshock game was pretty rare in that regard, and with that in mind, I would say that if any platform is going to get the short end of the stick on this, it would still be the PS3, which is a shame as they seem to get a raw deal, however i hardly think any differences will be at all notable.

Megacherv said:
UE3 (if they've finally decided to upgrade from UE2.5) is meant to be very well supported on the PS3 I think, what with Unreal Tournament 3 being far superior on the PS3 version than the 360 version.
UT3 is on the 360?