Is 14 too young to become a tran?

Gengisgame

Feb 15, 2015
There's an article about a 14 year old boy who apparently wishes to transition to female and started to receive hormone treatments, I find this wrong, 14 is still a child tome, children are stupid, at least when it comes to making life changing decisions. I've known girls who wanted to be boys because they thought it would be easier to make friends and I'm sure there are probably some boys who also thought things would be easier on the other side.

To me this just seems horrible

url= http://firsttoknow.com/watch-emotional-moment-mom-surprises-14-year-old-transgender-daughter-with-hormone-therapy-drugs//url

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Well considering they probably had to go to trained professionals for a diagnosis and to get their hands on stuff and the opposite opinion is coming from a guy that doesn't even acknowledge that and doesn't even refer to it properly I'm gonna have to go with the side that appears more knowledgeable

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Transitioning is not a case of a child simply deciding to change sex, and that being that. It involves analysis and evaluation from professionals, in order to (try to) ensure that they are not making fleeting decisions, and that the need is genuine.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Oh, I've known some teenagers in my time who were more "stupid" than children. Anyway, the title's a bit misleading, so you should probably change it to 'Is 14 too young to change gender' - it's not a decision to become transgender, as that's a pre-existing state or condition. Also, your URL's broken.

Other than that, what Silvanus said makes pretty good sense to me.

Gengisgame

Feb 15, 2015
Secondhand Revenant said:
Well considering they probably had to go to trained professionals for a diagnosis and to get their hands on stuff and the opposite opinion is coming from a guy that doesn't even acknowledge that and doesn't even refer to it properly I'm gonna have to go with the side that appears more knowledgeable
You think me ignorant when you haven't even taken into account how few people of this age would have or have had such a thing done to make the call.

Not really here to care about your preferred pronouns, I came here to see if anyone had any views on the idea of doing this to someone so young.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Gengisgame said:
Secondhand Revenant said:
You think me ignorant when you haven't even taken into account how few people of this age would have or have had such a thing done to make the call.
Well I do think it is ignorant to think precedent is supposed to be what determines whether this is correct.

Not really here to care about your preferred pronouns, I came here to see if anyone had any views on the idea of doing this to someone so young.
I meant the thread title. I realize the other part was a deliberate slight given your conservative social views

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
Gengisgame said:
url= http://firsttoknow.com/watch-emotional-moment-mom-surprises-14-year-old-transgender-daughter-with-hormone-therapy-drugs//url
Why am I looking at a picture of a George Bush urinal?

Rabbitboy

Apr 11, 2014
TakerFoxx said:
Why am I looking at a picture of a George Bush urinal?
Here is link that works.
http://firsttoknow.com/watch-emotional-moment-mom-surprises-14-year-old-transgender-daughter-with-hormone-therapy-drugs

OT: I personally think that 14 is a bit to young to start with that and that 18 is better age to draw that line. On the other hand it is something this kid has been her entire life. It's her own free choice, and it's been approved of by people who presumably know more about this then I do.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Link doesn't work. Anyhow, it's not like you can just go "oh yeah I'm trans now" on a whim and then you get drug therapy and surgery. While I generally would prefer someone is 18 before making most life altering decision in the case of people who are trans that screws them over because it doesn't work as well on adults. It's not just a case of putting up with it for a few more years.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
I think 14 is too young to be on any sort of supplements for that kind of thing.

Not to say there aren't genuine people who believe that at that age, but, it's just a group that is too immature and risky to do something like that, especially when it's just a matter of waiting a few years.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
I'm gonna snip this before it gets worse.

OP if you want to hear people's opinions please don't be impolite to those who do share theirs with you.