Is a Marvel vs DC movie possible?

Rossco64

Apr 14, 2009
Just a random thought I had. If Disney and Warner Bros. were able to team up to make Roger Rabbit does that mean a Marvel vs. DC film is a possibility? And by the way I'm talking way off in the future like when superhero movies are starting to die in popularity and something big is needed to get some interest in them again.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
I'd love to see the Marvel vs. DC miniseries from '96 in some way, but that's much more something for the animation department.

Is it a possibility Disney and WB will team up? Sure, but probably very unlikely. Also, Roger Rabbit is now a quarter of a century old, this still weirds me out.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
But Roger Rabbit had a plot of its own. The Disney/Warner cameos were marginal to the story, which was about original characters following a film noir-like arc. A Marvel vs. DC movie seems unlikely unless they follow the Roger Rabbit way and reduce these heroes to cameos. Otherwise how are we supposed to cram all those characters into the main plot? It'd be unbearable. Hell the X-Men movies are overcrowded on their own and they're not even about EVERY Marvel character, let alone DC.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Not unless DC gets its shit together, and fast. I mean really, what the hell is holding them back with this? They've got all of their superheroes under one goddamn roof. Justice League should've been much easier for them to pull off than the Avengers.

So yeah, no chance in hell until DC stops fucking around.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Seeing how Disney own Marvel now since they did films like Who Frame Roger Rabbit and Wreck-it Ralph (both films have serveral licence characters shown in the same film) I guess it could be likely but in saying so the collaboration won't be cameo wise.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Vs? No way . Not a chance in hell . Not only will it be bad ( because you're going to have to write a movie where no one loses . Because neither side is going to want to be on the losing team .

Now a colaboration , maybe . But i don't see it happening . Plus it would cost an arm and leg not only for the actors but for the action.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Even with Roger Rabbit they were insanely protective of their characters in fact Mickey and Bugs had to have the exact same amount of screen time to even be used and they couldn't do anything remotely offensive and had to have the exact same amount of lines.

Edguy

Jan 31, 2011
I hope not. An animated feature (headed by Warner's DC animation studios) could be cool, though!

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
No, because Batman would just fuck everybody up, regardless of teams.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I don't think a movie would be possible, but game on the other hand... Anyone notice there's been a LEGO DC Superheroes game, and an upcoming Marvel Superheroes game that not only has the Avengers but other licenses like Spider-man as well?

krazykidd said:
Vs? No way . Not a chance in hell . Not only will it be bad ( because you're going to have to write a movie where no one loses . Because neither side is going to want to be on the losing team .

Now a colaboration , maybe . But i don't see it happening . Plus it would cost an arm and leg not only for the actors but for the action.
The way these things almost always work is that each side thinks the other is evil so you have the one on one "dream" fights, but by the end they found out they've been manipulated by a 3rd party that they them team up against.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Umm... in short no.

MovieBob at some point explains the issues with Marvel movie licenses and the difficulties as several different studios own the movie rights to different batches of Marvel heroes.

Warner Brothers owns DC outright so their half would be possible but getting WB and the half dozen or so studios that make Marvel films to co-operate would be downright impossible.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Yes. It's possible. It's perfectly possible.
Because I refuse to live in a world where it isn't.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
Sure a decade from now when their respective series's have both gone the way of predator and alien or Freddy and Jason. At which point what do they have to lose... expect for our respect at the awfulness of clashing these separately crafted narratives into some mismatch for videogames or comics.

The only way they could do this without destroying either series is doing the comic book thing of saying... where going to clash two alternative realities and see what we get. However as movie bob has pointed out normal movie goers don't want that level of bullshit in their cheerios.

drh1975

Dec 8, 2010
I could see a team-up movie, or series of movies, but not a DC vs. Marvel movie. A Vs. movie could never happen because of egos. With the 1996 miniseries, DC wouldn't play along unless Superman and Batman won their battles. As if the Hulk could beat Superman. But Batman needed his owners' help beating Captain America. So it looks like the only way we'd ever see the Dark Knight and the Super Soldier together is if they teamed up to take on the Joker and the Red Skull. I'd pay to see that.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Possible? Yes.

Probable? No.

Next question?

Given how media companies like to compete with almost identical products: Call of Duty/Medal of Honour, World of Warcraft/SWtOR, Megamind/Despicable Me, Shark Tail/Finding Nemo etc. I would be surprised if WB & Disney - a rivalry that is older than many people on the Escapist - would suddenly jump in bed together on a project that would be incredibly risky.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Who is Marvel, and who is DC?

I mean, we've got very few movies of each where independant heroes meet each other. Even Spiderman meeting the X-Men would be a be deal, and that's still very limited.

Also, putting everything in the same universe is a mess. There's a reason Batman movies don't include Superman or Wonderwoman. Well, that and nobody who counts wants to see Wonderwoman in a movie, it would seem.

Sherokain

Jan 11, 2013
Recently i learned of the existance of Amalgam comics, if they were to get some characters from that and make a movie possibly. But actual Marvel and DC characters i highly doubt it due to licencing mostly, in addition to neither side wanting to come off worse than the other.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Unless it was some cameos ala Rodger Rabbit I seriously doubt it. Hell Marvel doesn't even have the film rights for some of its major franchises like X-men or Spiderman.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Yeah, not going to happen.

In comics? Sure, it will sell a few copies, but movies?

Warner Brothers feels like it is being forced into making a Justice League film, mostly because of the mass piles of cash the Avengers brought in, not out of any real desire to make it.

You also have rights issues. How can you have Marvel vs. DC without Spiderman? Fox knows this and will charge both companies through the nose to use the Spiderman rights, let alone the X-Men.

Then you have other issues. Having them fight a lot would make the film go on to long, or each fight go on to short. Who gets to decide who wins and who loses?

thaluikhain said:
Also, putting everything in the same universe is a mess. There's a reason Batman movies don't include Superman or Wonderwoman. Well, that and nobody who counts wants to see Wonderwoman in a movie, it would seem.
I think the Avengers and the whole Marvel film universe (which just got another profitable film, several more on the way, and a TV series just around the bend) shows the market is wants or at very least can tolerate cross film continuity