Is a New Blizzard Game Coming?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Is a New Blizzard Game Coming?

Rumors are flying that Blizzard Entertainment [http://www.blizzard.com] is working on a brand-new game that has not yet even been mentioned to the public.

The whispers began when Blizzard posted two job openings for an unannounced project on its website. Both positions are for software engineers, one next-gen MMOG [http://www.blizzard.com/us/jobopp/programmer-client-software-engineer.html] Blizzard has on the go. The source claimed the World of Warcraft engine is being used for testing purposes but that these postings are for a "brand-new game."

Blizzard is notoriously slow in developing games but it's impossible to argue with the results: When the company does get around to releasing a game, it doesn't disappoint. But Blizzard COO Paul Sams committed to releasing Activision's [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89409-Blizzard-Commits-To-One-Frontline-Release-Per-Year] fourth quarter earnings call in February, so maybe this is a sign that the studio is picking up the pace.

Nothing else is known about the mystery "fifth franchise," including whether or not it actually exists at all. We've dropped a line to Blizzard and will update when we can.

via: DIII.net [http://www.diii.net/blog/comments/fifth-blizzard-game-in-the-works-update/]

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Another game? I pray that Diablo 3 sees the light of day within the next 10 years...

It sounds interesting, but knowing Blizzards shedule I will have long stopped playing games when this comes out.

If Blizzard is not announcing it yet then it's fairy standart stuff indeed.

Arrers

Mar 4, 2009
Blizzard still make games? I just thought they live off the profits from World of Warcraft.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Brotherofwill said:
Another game? I pray that Diablo 3 sees the light of day within the next 10 years...

It sounds interesting, but knowing Blizzards shedule I will have long stopped playing games when this comes out.

You never stop playing video games...never! Unless you die...or enter some sort of coma...

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
oliveira8 said:
Brotherofwill said:

You never stop playing video games...never! Unless you die...or enter some sort of coma...
That's what I used to think, but I've already decreased my gaming to a minimum, actually left my PS3 with my brother because I didn't care too much.

I think you just grow out of it after some time, it can still be a part of my life but certainly has lost a lot of importance.
Just like with TV for me, stopped watching it completly

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
Having sold my soul to the great Blizzard Overlords I'm inclined to buy this game no matter what it is. Although I kind of hope it doesn't involve Warcraft as I'm a bit tired of that franchise.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Khell_Sennet said:
Malygris said:
Blizzard is notoriously slow in developing games but it's impossible to argue with the results
Oh I'll argue alright Warcraft III was the suckiest, most pathetic letdown in RTS gaming I had ever seen. Shoddy AI, unbalanced as hell, and we waited YEARS for it.

Say what you will against world of warcrack, Warcraft III is worse.
I liked it alot. :( And aparently many other peoples cause Blizzard keeps hosting tournaments of WC3.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Jesus, how many games is blizzard developing?

I guess this is how they get around Activisions demand for 1 title per year. Stagger them by working on half a dozen at once.

So we got Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, Mystery MMO, and now this which I shall dub Project X.

jockslap

May 20, 2008
oliveira8 said:
Brotherofwill said:

even thats pushing it

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
jockslap said:
oliveira8 said:
Brotherofwill said:

even thats pushing it
Nah. Playing games is like riding a bycicle. Sure one day you may stop riding bycicles but from time to time you still like to give it the old girl a spin. The same thing will happen to all of us. Maybe one day we wont be playing games like we do now, but someday when you looking into your memory boxes and dig up the box of some old game you once owned you just get the urge to try it again.

WingedFortress

Detective
Feb 5, 2008
This piques my curiosity, but little else. Blizzard has had a successful career, and I won't argue with it, but I'm always skeptical on new franchises.

That being said, I commend anybody for stepping out of familiar territory these days. I almost want to purchase new franchises just so that the developers stop cashing in on the old ones.

Heres to hoping its not an RTS or an RPG. Show us what your made of, Blizzard.

leaman474

Mar 16, 2009
TsunamiWombat said:

I guess this is how they get around Activisions demand for 1 title per year. Stagger them by working on half a dozen at once.

So we got Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, Mystery MMO, and now this which I shall dub Project X.
Their also developing a WoW expansion at the same time!

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
leaman474 said:
TsunamiWombat said:

So, they're set for the next 6 years... Benefit of having Activisions resources I guess.

Say Anything

Jan 23, 2008
Malygris said:
Fairy standard stuff but according to
Yeah, job openings are pretty much the standards for fairies nowadays. haha! I'm just joking, but that is a typo.

As for a new Blizzard game, ehhh...I'm not the biggest fan of Blizzard, but with the money they have, it could be good. Guess we should keep our eyes on the lookout.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
TsunamiWombat said:
leaman474 said:
TsunamiWombat said:

So, they're set for the next 6 years... Benefit of having Activisions resources I guess.
Not really no...it does help tho. But last year WoW alone made profits of 1 Billion dollars...

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
oliveira8 said:
TsunamiWombat said:
leaman474 said:
TsunamiWombat said:

Not really no...it does help tho. But last year WoW alone made profits of 1 Billion dollars...
I meant manpower mostly so they could actually WORK on six games at once.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
TsunamiWombat said:
oliveira8 said:
TsunamiWombat said:
leaman474 said:
TsunamiWombat said:

I meant manpower mostly so they could actually WORK on six games at once.
Oh manpower...Even before the merge with Activision Blizzard had opened many many job openings. Many of which were for the new next gen-MMO and other projects.

But one of the deals was that Blizzard remained an independent studio from Activision.