Is Adult Swim's Black Jesus the Savior We Need?

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
I remember trying to set my DVR for this a month ago and the damn thing couldn't find it. Since then I totally spaced about it. Now I need to go get it back on my DVR.

Was interested in it the moment I saw that it was made by the same man who made The Boondocks, one of the only shows I ever actually shlled out money to buy the dvd's of. Glad to know that its living up to its pedigree.

dragonswarrior

Also a Social Justice Warrior
Feb 13, 2012
rcs619 said:
Naw man. I see what you're trying to do. I used to be like you, all "As usual, the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle" and all that jazz.

Let me let you in on a little secret. That actually isn't usually the case. Especially, and most unfortunately, in regards to race in america.

It unfortunately boils down to systemic racism, perpetrated by white people (and sometimes PoC) in power.

Most importantly however, this white cop executed an unarmed black teenager. This is merely the latest and biggest of hundreds upon hundreds of stories of police brutality and murder directed at PoC and especially black men, usually perpetrated by white police officers. Brown was executed in broad daylight after surrendering and putting his hands in the air.

And you are trying to defend the white person who did it.

Let that sink in for a moment. I know you mean well. You aren't trying to make a villain here. But look at your post. You demonize brown. In one sentence you use his name for the person on that video robbing the store, despite the fact that there is no evidence that actually was Brown, and you yourself said that shouldn't matter in regards to the shooting. In another instance you said that the cop's gun must have been shot while he was wrestling with Brown in the car, assuming that the cop's story was the true one when there is no evidence to support this.

And then you defend the cop, the white cop who murdered an unarmed black teenager, to high heaven. You make excuses for the gun being shot the first time. You say the cop was under attack when there is zero evidence to support this. You say, (and this is the part of your post that almost made me think you were a troll) that brown must have been shot in the head accidentally when he got on his knees to surrender. You then proceed to say that the cop should be found innocent of murder.

Innocent of shooting an unarmed, defenseless, fleeing, kneeling, hands-in-the-air-in-surrender man Six. Times. He shot him six fucking times man.

And you are bending over backwards to try and make this man sound like he isn't a villain.

Now, is he frothing at the mouth? Probably not. Is he a racist asshole that deserves to be locked up for life for the horrible thing he did? Yea, I think even if Brown was being violent (Spoiler alert! He wasn't) we can still safely say that cop is a villain and doesn't deserve to have a life after he stole Brown's.

Also, this is all taken out of context of the events that have been happening within Ferguson this past week. Taken in context, it becomes even more obvious that the cop was a racist asshole in a department of racist assholes in a country of racist assholes.

00DUMB

Apr 4, 2010
Great article, minus one important discrepency:
MovieBob said:
"Black Metal Spinal Tap!"
Death metal is much more appropriate. Melodic death, if you want to be specific. Common mistake, but understandable!

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Show is hilarious. It's really Friday the TV series + Jesus.

So great to see Charlie Murphy back in action too.

tyriless

Aug 27, 2010
ron1n said:
Show is hilarious. It's really Friday the TV series + Jesus.

So great to see Charlie Murphy back in action too.
I agree, he's such an excellent foil/antagonist. He oozes cranky skepticism.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
OK, that first-page thing aside, I liked the parts of this article that send a big Take That to Very Special Episodes and provide insight to The Venture Brothers, Metalocalypse, and Morel Orel, which I stopped watching halfway through the first season, and I've been off-and-on with Metal. The Venture Brothers is the tits and one of adult swim's best shows. Black Jesus is so far, pretty funny and doesn't have that much of an Anvilicious message to bang you over the head with.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
shirkbot said:
As to the show itself, how does it compare to The Boondocks (since McGruder is involved).
It's a tad bit more understated than the boondocks, which comes with the territory of being live action as opposed to animated. The over the top line deliveries and gestures are toned back, and the overall tone is more conversational. As someone above said, it's a lot more like Friday than the boondocks, but still really good.

MacGruder has a talent for writing natural-sounding dialogue that rivals Seth MacFarlane's (indeed, the only compliment I can still give most of Seth's work XD)

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
I'll have to watch Black Jesus as [AS] makes available for streaming on their site. The trailers looked fun and good-natured, and I always enjoy a dressing down of the mythical figure of Jesus Christ from "he is good, therefore the things he does must be good" to "he does good things, that's a good person".

I don't fully agree with MovieBob's opinions on the opening page, but it is very closely related to the media he is talking about. The context of "Cops approach group on black males for a petty crime . . ." is relevant to both cases. The makers of "Black Jesus" seem to be trying to communicate a constructive message through humor, which would avoid a lot of the incendiary attributes of the events unfolding in Ferguson, Missouri.