Is anybody else here just not interested in modern gaming?

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I own a Wii U and my PC's processor surprises me whenever it's able to handle something with more than just pixel-art. I want to want a PS4 but the issue I'm facing is that everything I want on the PS4 is also on the PS3, which I still have connected to my TV. This doesn't necessarily mean that I'm keeping up with modern gaming though...in fact Wolfenstein: The New One, Ass Creed 4 and, Thief are the only games that I have on the PS3 that I could have bought on the PS4. I also have Watch_Dogs on the Wii U but nobody seems to care about either.

I chose the Wii U because I knew what I would get with it eventually. There was definitely going to be exclusives that I wanted and even though the only Zelda games are re-makes, at least they're remakes of games from 2 console generations ago. I'm downright shocked that people who went with the PS4/Xbone aren't rioting in the streets over things like the Master Chief Collection, the Uncharted Collection, The Last of Us, GTAV...These are all games that we've already bought and played people! It was pretty shitty when Microsoft dumped the original Xbox to focus 100% on the 360 but it's been what, 3 years now since the PS4 and Xbone have launched? They really don't need more games at this point.

I wouldn't call myself a PC gamer but I do love how a lot of recent PC games are 8-bit or else low-poly. I can play those, they're new, they're fun...mostly. I didn't have fun with Undertale but I'm loving games like Pony Island, Gunpoint, Chroma Squad, Consuming Shadow etc...

Leon Royce

Aug 22, 2014
Little innovation left in AAA, and indie games being too simplistic visually and mechanically means that I'm cutting gaming for now.

When I was a kid I looked at the first Tomb Raider and tried to imagine what it would look like in 20 years. Massive underground temples, caverns, branching paths, realistic grappling physics, a million interesting ways of interacting with the environment. But I don't see that today. I see cardboard boxes painted to look great, while being linear and focusing on story way way too much.

I looked at Morrowind and imagined the same games, with an alien and foreign world, with greater ability to influence the economics and politics of the landscape, starting your own religion, as well as better combat and magic. instead games have been dumbed down beyond recognition. And I've lost interest.

Games have only matured graphically. In every other aspect they have regressed or flat-lined since the early 2000's, which coincidentally is when games went from being designed by nerds and outcasts for nerds and outcasts to being mainstream.

I'm still getting Dark Souls 3, and maybe Hitman at the end of the year. Maybe Deus Ex will be good too, but otherwise 99% of gaming has nothing to offer me anymore.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Gundam GP01 said:
WeepingAngels said:
Gundam GP01 said:
WeepingAngels said:
When the JRPG's stopped coming last gen and all we saw was shooters and quest based RPG's, I went back to SNES/PS1 games for the most part.
What are you talking about? There have been plenty of modern JRPGs the past few years.
I tried going through the list that you typed up here....
Xenoblade 1, Xenoblade X.
Tales of Xillia, Tales of Zestria.
Pokemon.
Yo-Kai Watch.
Shin Megami Tensei 4.
Persona Q.
Etrian Odyssey.
Hyperdimension Neptunia series.
Bravely Default and Bravely Second.
Dragon Quest 10.
Fairy Fencer F.
Trails in the Sky and Trails of Cold Steel.
Mario and Luigi RPGs.
Conception.

If you move to less traditional turn based JRPGs, we also have
Disgaea.
The Witch and the Hundred Knights.
Fire Emblem.
Project X Zone.
Fantasy Life.
Valkiria Chronicles just got a PC port last year.
The Atelier series.

And that's all what's out now, upcoming we have
Final Fantasy 15
Kingdom Hearts 3
Genei Ibun Roku ♯FE (That SMT X Fire Emblem game)
Persona 5
Tales of Berseria
Star Ocean 5
Dragon Quest 11
And Shin Megami Tensei 4 Final.

There are PLENTY of modern JRPGs.
Many of these are offline MMO's which would be "quest based RPG's, not interested in that shit. Also not interested in what is not out yet. Tales games are of low quality in my opinion, atleast since Symphonia and quite frankly I am tired of the cartoony look. Also not interested in SRPG's as none of them live up to Final Fantasy Tactics on the PS1. Fire Emblem Awakening on the 3DS was good but I have never been able to get through a repeat playthrough.

I do play JRPG's on handhelds as many of those play like an SNES/PS1 JRPG. Not a wannabe WRPG. I also enjoyed Lost Odyssey.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
I am totally a classic gaming snob. My era of interest is pre-crash, so the NES is too modern for my tastes. There was something pure about the aesthetics of these older games with their colorful characters against a stark black background.

Anti Nudist Cupcake

Mar 23, 2010
Worse, OLD games don't even interest me anymore. No games interest me anymore. I have all the free time and games I could want in the world but I have ZERO DESIRE to play anything.

I can say similar things about books, movies, series, music, shooting, sports, people and things in general.

Anhedonia from chronic depression is so fun. I wonder how long it will be until I stop trying...

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
I feel games are getting big and varied enough that it's starting to feel like I can't consider myself a "gamer" anymore, which is probably for the best. I have no desire to buy anything when it first comes out, I don't like most AAA games, and even of all the limited games I am interested in, I don't try them all. If anything, I'm more of a movie buff than a video game buff, as I'd watch just about any movie for any reason, which is not true for video games. The thing is, even with my selective snobbery, I'm still overloaded with purchased systems and games. I still follow video game news all the time, but the most enthusiasm I can muster is "I'll buy that when it's cheap." And even then, I can talk myself out of it if I've had a lot of other expenses in a given month. I really expected the market to implode under the weight of games available and I'm pleasantly surprised it hasn't yet. Maybe I'm just getting older.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Gundam GP01 said:
WeepingAngels said:
Many of these are offline MMO's which would be "quest based RPG's, not interested in that shit.
First: Most? At best I can only count two, and both of those are Xenoblade.

Second: Tough shit, they still counts.

WeepingAngels said:
Tales games are of low quality in my opinion, atleast since Symphonia and quite frankly I am tired of the cartoony look.
Doesn't matter, still counts.

WeepingAngels said:
Also not interested in SRPG's as none of them live up to Final Fantasy Tactics on the PS1. Fire Emblem Awakening on the 3DS was good but I have never been able to get through a repeat playthrough.
They still count.

WeepingAngels said:
I do play JRPG's on handhelds as many of those play like an SNES/PS1 JRPG. Not a wannabe WRPG. I also enjoyed Lost Odyssey.
Again, what are you talking about? The only games I can think of that fit that description are the Xenoblade games.
Great you won the debate, how do you feel? I am still not going to play the shit I don't like.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Open world games? Yes pretty tired of them and that's what a lot of games seem to be these days. Dumb AI with bonkers aiming and open world isn't exactly fun after so many others doing it. Can't get into them for story either since there's ...no rush or pacing. You gotta save the world or country but eh, after you do some errands is fine.

That said ....Got Just Cause 3 and it's fun...But it's also not serious and it's dumb fun. Other than that it's been mostly platformers like Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, Freedom Planet and such.

Jan 19, 2016
briankoontz said:
Games are having to shoulder a lot more of a cultural burden nowadays that we used to cede to film. AAA games used to be little more than technical achievements - that was supposed to have been the meaning of the victory of the technician Carmack over the artist Romero. But that victory was fleeting as we realized the emptiness, the Dead Space, that a pretty, well-oiled shell has when nothing lives within.

So now Meaning is what is desired, formerly monopolized by indies, and this has even pervaded the robotic behemoth of the AAA industry. Now AAA games can't be taken seriously without a good narrative, with The Last of Us held up as an ideal merger of narrative and technical excellence.

AAA games have moved from spectacle to art, and along the way have lost a lot of their fun - careful observers will note the vast reduction in that word used to describe AAA games over the past decade. Because of that, indie games have taken up the mantle of fun, games such as Shovel Knight, Crypt of the Necrodancer, and Don't Starve far more nimble, easy to navigate, and offering the immediate fun that more serious, laborious journies through Fallout 4 or The Witcher 3 can't compare to.

This isn't intended as a criticism of any segment of the game industry - hopefully it provides some illumination regarding the relationship between different media and their cultures.
I think a big part of the problem is that AAA gaming has inherited the same problem of blockbuster movies - the production costs are so huge that creators (and financiers) are unwilling to put up huge sums of money on risky projects. The result in both mediums is a lot of very samey, predictable fare that does nothing to advance the medium, but guarantees a safe RoI. The consequence of this is that in both mediums, the real creativity and innovation is being done in the independent scene where the cost/risk scenario is more palatable. Of course, every now and then you get a game like Witcher 3 (from a relatively small independent developer) that throws the rule book out the window and just blows everyone away (who thought CDPR capable of making a game on the scale of TW3 prior to its release?).

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Yes. Unless "modern gaming" means current AAA releases in which case, no. For whatever reason the big publishers haven't been able to make anything I truly enjoy in some time so I wait to pick them up for a ten spot and see if I can find any entertainment in them. I wait for most indie games too, but that's just because the NFL 2K series solidified for me what you should get for $20 and, while many indie titles are enjoyable little games, they don't offer enough to occupy the AA price range they claim for themselves.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
No. I always liked games that push the limit of what is possible and improve. New games do a lot of that. Its probably why i was never into indie scene, they seem to want to go back a few decades more than anything.

Oldcodger

Dec 13, 2012
I think I burned out on WoW gaming-wise. I played it for 7 1/2 years and quit half-way through Pandaland because it was getting too big and stupid and there were too many asshats playing. I've tried Elder Scrolls, Age of Conan, Rift, LotR, Archage, Neverwinter and a bunch of others but none got me as excited as I used to get palying WoW.

Diablo 3 is okayish. I still play that now and then but it's not particularly rewarding. I play Mahjong, Sudoku and Hangman to pass time if I'm waiting for something and have nothing better to do but that's all. Guess I get more thrills from real life, now!

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Eh, depends on the period of time, and the game. Only seen a couple of games worth buying over the last six months, the majority just don't at all pique my interest. However there are a few games coming out that look, at the very least, interesting. A lot of the market is oversaturated though, and not all that new or interesting. Never going to care about the latest Battlefield/CoD/MMO/Halo/AssassinsCreed/... I could go on, but you get the picture.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
While there's a lot of mediocre (MEDIOGRE) games to wade through, the modern era still has quite a few great things to offer. I need not list them, they've been fairly well mentioned here already. I'm a 30 year gamer myself, having been a PC gamer for a decent portion of that and console through and through and I've not tired of them yet. I'm also not hypercritical of games, so maybe thats another reason. Do I want them to be better? Of course. I've been rightfully disappointed by a lot of the AAA published works in the last 10 years, and somewhat pissed at the state of once great publishers one of whom I worked for and had a wonderful time with only to see it bloat and turn into a shadow of the great company it was...

My point is though, I'm not done with gaming and not at all thinking we're in the endtimes. Its easy to get discouraged, its easy to be totally outraged (and at times righteously so) at the handling of IPs and such. But letting the letdowns get you so down you can't see the good things that are still around is defeatest. I've got a backlog a mile long (actually if you took my Steam account and my physical media plus the digital media on consoles and stacked them end to end by boxes I think its over a mile) of games that range from excellent to at least passable in playability.

I'm sorry for people who're disinterested in gaming in the modern age, and I've no fix for you folks other than to say you might be looking at it from a flawed perspective or just overanalyzing the products... but I can't really be certain, I don't know you all nor have your experiences or perspective on life and games. Its just hard to understand that POV without thinking there's something missing from the story or the viewpoint is just fundamentally flawed.

astrav1

Jul 6, 2009
Drathnoxis said:
I don't have any current gen consoles, my PC isn't fast enough for new games, and I find I don't really care. Modern games and industry practices really don't seem to appeal to my gaming sensibilities anymore, and I have such a backlog of old games that I probably have enough for 10 years.

Anybody else feel the same?
Totally agree, I've been finding myself more attracted to ps1 games I've never played before,(thus removing any nostalgic value) then any of the shit released today-with a few exceptions. The problem is, it's so rare that and actual game is made. Most of them are Corperate EA bullshit cash grabs that are empty and worthless, Lazy indie cash grabs that are literally just newgrounds games, or youtube baits that again, have no value. Console gaming is practically dead, and this is coming from someone who used to very much be a console gamer. We need a new crash and a new miyamoto if we want things to improve.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
you mean modern dumbed down gaming? i had no interest in that however games coming out this year has been back to its root which were ruined previous generation like Doom and Hitman.

last few year we had many terrible games released but 2016 is looks like best year since long long time.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Nah. In fact, a couple of games released over the last couple of years make strong cases to be lodged among the very best titles of ALL TIME, so I think a good argument can be made that "modern gaming" is better than ever.

If I'm getting tired of anything, it's jeremiads against the sins of "modern gaming", often issued by people half my age who grew up idealizing titles that ARE "modern gaming". When people are getting misty for the "good old days" of KOTOR or Halo 2 or their ilk, I just have to laugh my ass off.