Is anyone else a bit bored of Jimquisition?

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
I was following Jimquisition for a while before Jim left The Escapist and although when I started watching, it had a really pro-consumer attitude which was refreshing, over times I've gradually become incredibly bored with Jim. There's no longer any scathing humour or interesting points to be made, and it's all really got a bit stale. The past year of Jimquisition is simply him getting annoyed at Greenlight, then Ubisoft, then GamerGate, then Greenlight again.

There isn't as much humour in it any more and it has just taken on a self-righteous tone and has become very condescending and preachy. I end up being shouted at by Jim instead of watching his videos and coming out with some good messages and some funny moments to laugh at.

It sucks now and that makes me sad :(

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I think the Jimquisition's gotten a lot less fun, I guess. There's not been much to talk about this year outside of Ubisoft and GamerGate and there were plenty of weeks where we could have had a fun Jimquisition to lighten the mood like the Touch Pad episode or the Crying Through the Laughs episode, instead we've just had filler like the audio version of his objective Final Fantasy XIII review and the Everything's Awful, But It's Not That Bad episode.

2014 was a lethargic year, and the Jimquisition didn't rise above it imo.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
He seems to have relegated his comedy to his let's play videos. I still enjoy Jim Sterling's stuff though the guy can be a bit of a dick.

I do agree that his Gamergate-related videos have been very condescending but to be honest, his condescension pales in comparison to what others have been doing. At least he isn't advocating that people get dox...

ohh... oh shit.[footnote]Yes I know I'm exaggerating, the guy probably doesn't legitimately want personal details circulated but he's had a few instances of treating certain consumers like a problem to be solved rather than actual people[/footnote]

Well... he doesn't want a second Holocaust so that's at least something.

EDIT: The clip makes Sessler look like more of a douchebag than he is, the context of the doxxing advocacy is hate speech not "let's dox whoever disagrees with us". Let's not delve into Gamergate sensationalism right now.

Spushkin

Nov 2, 2011
I could argue that everything gets a bit stale after some time, because human nature.

Other than that, I feel that even if he occasionally has better or worse Jimquisition episodes, the overall "quality" stays the same.

I just love the guy and think there's noone that can be as earnest and over-the-top at the same time :)

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
DizzyChuggernaut said:
He seems to have relegated his comedy to his let's play videos. I still enjoy Jim Sterling's stuff though the guy can be a bit of a dick.

I do agree that his Gamergate-related videos have been very condescending but to be honest, his condescension pales in comparison to what others have been doing. At least he isn't advocating that people get dox...

ohh... oh shit.[footnote]Yes I know I'm exaggerating, the guy probably doesn't legitimately want personal details circulated but he's had a few instances of treating certain consumers like a problem to be solved rather than actual people[/footnote]

Oh sigh

Jim really was a bit of a bastion for the consumers a few years ago. Now he's just seems to speak down to consumers and patronise them, and shame them into being better people which is a really negative attitude to take. In the end the consumers are what keep the industry running, and are his fans to boot, so he's definitely got to be careful not to go too far.

What a shame, didn't expect him to be so hypocritical :(

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
The last episode was funny but Iwas looking for some new point to be made and.... its the same point he made the last time a bioware game let you bang a same sex character.meh

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
rbstewart7263 said:
The last episode was funny but Iwas looking for some new point to be made and.... its the same point he made the last time a bioware game let you bang a same sex character.meh
Yeah I feel the same. He's definitely just repeating himself. Oh another Greenlight episode, another harassment episode, another EA episode, another Ubisoft episode, Get some variety Jim.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Nope. I still enjoy it. The fact that Jim's videos tread familiar ground is an indictment of gamers and the games industry more than anything else.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I feel laying into games in general has become a bit soured in recent years, starting with the Mass Effect 3 controversy and culminating in whatever the hell all that GamerGate bullshit was.

Complaining about anything these days just seems like adding to an already overflowing ocean of bile.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
I've been trying to follow Jim since he left the Escapist, but he just isn't really worth the effort. His Let's Plays are...ok? But he's got nothing that really interests me, if I want to get an opinion on a game, I'll go look for TB and the smaller channels I'm subscribed to that trot out games they consider fun and do a short play-through of with a pretty good explanation of the game mechanics.

If I want to see gameplay and funnies, I'll go watch Derp Crew, Drown Out or one of a hundred other Youtubers that play games that are more established and do a wider variety of things than Sterling and aren't as afraid of making...jokes that make fun of certain groups of his viewership without being taken extremely personally.

If I want something like Jimquisition, I think I'm out of luck because there's nothing else quite like it,the closest I can think of being Co-Optional(yay, TB reigns supreme as all of the master race should), but there's nothing worth watching all the way through for the last few months or so, since all he does is talk about the same things with new words and no new ways of expressing the ideas or with any way of fixing any problem that doesn't involve kicking and slammed doors.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
endtherapture said:
DizzyChuggernaut said:

Oh sigh

Jim really was a bit of a bastion for the consumers a few years ago. Now he's just seems to speak down to consumers and patronise them, and shame them into being better people which is a really negative attitude to take. In the end the consumers are what keep the industry running, and are his fans to boot, so he's definitely got to be careful not to go too far.

What a shame, didn't expect him to be so hypocritical :(
It's Adam Sessler who's actually saying it. I didn't hear Jim saying anything in this vid other than some murmering noise at the end and he didn't get an opportunity to respond before the yelling audience drowning him out.

I respect Jim enough to give him the benefit of the doubt here.
Jim often acts the clown, but I cannot believe he's also a kook to take little internet arguments into real life.

The Jimquisition could benefit from a fresh new act though.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
veloper said:
It's Adam Sessler who's actually saying it. I didn't hear Jim saying anything in this vid other than some murmering noise at the end and he didn't get an opportunity to respond before the yelling audience drowning him out.

Jim often acts the clown, but I cannot believe he's also a kook to take little internet arguments into real life.

Yeah I have a feeling Jim just nodded approvingly because to be fair, the start of Adam's rant wasn't exactly ridiculous, hate speech is a bad thing. But when he escalated into full-on "let's release the addresses of these people", I would have at least liked something other than universal approval.

I mean think about what Adam's saying here. If we were just releasing the addresses of people spreading hate speech, I'd be more on board with that (but still, not entirely). However, what's being neglected is that these people could live with family members or share apartments with people that are completely unaware of internet goings-on. What happens when some hypersensitive crybaby calls a SWAT team on them?

I just wish Jim knew the full extent of how wrong this is and called Adam out on it instead of acting as if it was fine. Jim's known to call people out on their bullshit so when his pal does it right in front of him... it doesn't jive with me, unfortunately.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
veloper said:

It may be Sessler saying it, but he does go and nod along with it as it's being said.

While I will agree it's stupid to condemn him for a 13 second vid that doesn't give him any time after it to say anything, it doesn't look all that great considering how he's sorta been a bit of a douche when it comes to being a "consumer advocate".

Stuff like not really going after shit devs/games on Steam that aren't Ubisoft or indie devs everyone else in the industry have already had a go with. The ME3 shitstorm where he went along and called everyone entitled for wanting endings with differences other than the background color like alot of other sites. His somewhat annoying vendetta that's been surfacing with Squenix over the last year for no discernible reason other than him not liking the over-designed style.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Yeah, I really stopped caring for Jim around the Gamergate thing.

He just seemed like a hypocrite, and once you've found somebody to be hypocritical, it's difficult to really care for anything else they have to say.

I mean no ill will towards the guy, but he seems to have quite a lot of contempt for people who once considered themselves his fans.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
Eh... I still like Jim Sterling. He's pro-consumer, but not Pro-Rabid Consumer. He calls bullshit when he sees it, but calls people out on calling things bullshit that aren't, or calling bullshit stuff worse than it actually is.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Casual Shinji said:
I feel laying into games in general has become a bit soured in recent years, starting with the Mass Effect 3 controversy and culminating in whatever the hell all that GamerGate bullshit was.

Complaining about anything these days just seems like adding to an already overflowing ocean of bile.

Couldn't agree more. The internet has always been negative/complainy but recent years it hit all new lows. :p I understand people get riled up about what they're passionate about, but I still find gaming companies to be among the most consumer friendly out there. Compared to real estate/housing companies, insurance companies, gas/electrical companies, healthcare companies, financial institutions etc.(in other words the corporate clusterfuck that strip you of your entire paycheck instead of just 5 bucks for DLC) they're fucking saints. I sometimes wish all that anger was directed at companies more deserving of it.

Also games are made to have fun. Not to confirm to people's ideologies or to have pretentious messages crammed into them. Often it seems people are hating on games for the sole reason of hating on them. This game doesn't star an independent woman/celebrate ethnic diversity? Fuckin sexist/racist yo!

As for Jim, he's funny/makes some good points sometimes. But his act is wearing increasingly thin. I stopped watching Jimquisition since it just lost its entertainment value.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I never liked him or his videos. He has my sympathies for pulling that Jerry Maguire stunt last month, but that's it. I can't stand his face or his voice or the way he writes. So I just ignore him.

Sung-Hwan

Dec 13, 2014
He's funny even if it's exaggerated. Even if I don't agree with him, the way he speaks is just so addicting to hear.

Haerthan

Mar 16, 2014
The Lunatic said:
Yeah, I really stopped caring for Jim around the Gamergate thing.

He just seemed like a hypocrite, and once you've found somebody to be hypocritical, it's difficult to really care for anything else they have to say.

I mean no ill will towards the guy, but he seems to have quite a lot of contempt for people who once considered themselves his fans.
Please show me where he is hypocritical. Please do. And btw, saying that harrassment is bad from both sides, isn't. Show it to me in the sutff he put out in the Jimqusition.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I still like the Jimquisition. (I'd better, I'm contributing, albeit on a rather low level, to his Patreon account.) I do think that occasionally the actual JQ videos could stand to do more than posit a single idea or position and then ramble on for five minutes without contributing much to support or flesh out the ideas, but by and large I still find them well worth my time.