Is anyone else extremely disappointed with 'Next-Gen', or now this-gen.

lassiie

May 26, 2013
I recently got a PS4, solely for Bloodborne, as that has been the only game released for the Next-Gen consoles that I have even been remotely interested in. Also picked up Final Fantasy Type-0 so I didn't feel like I dropped $400 just for one game. Had fun with Bloodborne, it's a great game, but kind of disappointed. Not as good as either of the Dark Souls game in terms of depth and customization, but a great game nonetheless.

Also have a Wii U, which actually has the most games I've played/wanted to play so far. I know the Wii U has been out longer. Also got some Wii games that I never had a chance to play since I never owned a Wii, like Xenoblade Chronicles and the Zelda games for the Wii. So far, it has been the better console.

I was looking through the available games for the PS4 and just got extremely disappointed. The only games coming out in the near future that are remotely interesting are The Witcher 3 and....that's all I can think of off the top of my head. All the rest are so far out it's depressing. I remember around this point last-gen we had Oblivion and Gears of War and all sorts of games that single-handedly justified getting an Xbox 360 or PS3. Other than slightly more appealing graphics (which I could really care less about since I also have my gaming PC) there isn't a single game I can think of that justifies getting a PS4 or Xbone.

I got the PS4 because Bloodborne was exclusive to it, but there is nothing in that game that justified it being on the PS4, and felt like it could've easily been released for the 360 or PS3 and one would barely notice the difference.

This is also leaving out the HUGE amount of problems that games have been released with recently, and that is inexcusable in itself.

Idk....I guess I'm just disappointed with the 'Next-Gen' so far. Anyone else having a similar experience?

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
The first few years of new consoles are always crap for some reason, but this generation of consoles does seem to be extra crap. It seems like all the developers want to do at the moment is sell you slightly upgraded games that you already own instead of actually making interesting good games that you want to play.

I'm so thankful that Uncharted 4 has been delayed until next year, that is my "must play" game that will force me into buying a new console, hopefully by then there will be some decent games available.

I'm not holding out much hope though, the PS4 and Xbox 1 have sold millions despite there being nothing to play on them but games from the last generation, why should anyone bother making new games?

OhNoYouDidnt

Oct 22, 2013
This is probably a case of rose-tinted glasses, to be frank. Consoles always take a few years before they really get going; for example, the PS3 was pretty much dead in the water until 2008/2009, when it finally started getting some worthwhile games. It simply always takes a while before developers establish an efficient production pipeline for a new generation of console hardware.

You will see that the PS4 and XB1 are probably going to hit their stride next year, as most developers should have sorted their production pipelines out by then. After all, most "prominent" releases last year still had last-gen iterations as well, holding the current-gen versions back. From what I can tell, most "prominent" releases this year will not have a PS3 and Xbox 360 version, so there's progress already.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Well I think generally there haven't been much game releases period, Triple AAA at least. This year is looking pretty good, though sure exclusives don't seem so high on most dev's lists at the moment. I'm just glad for the new design of the PS4 console and controller.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
I'm fairly sure every console is crap when it first comes out.

However, I've had P.T., Black Flag (that sea) and MGS: Ground Zeroes (which shows me what Phantom Pain is going to be).

We're going to get there, and we've already had some amazing examples of what this generation can do.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
lassiie said:
I recently got a PS4, solely for Bloodborne, as that has been the only game released for the Next-Gen consoles that I have even been remotely interested in. Also picked up Final Fantasy Type-0 so I didn't feel like I dropped $400 just for one game. Had fun with Bloodborne, it's a great game, but kind of disappointed. Not as good as either of the Dark Souls game in terms of depth and customization, but a great game nonetheless.

Also have a Wii U, which actually has the most games I've played/wanted to play so far. I know the Wii U has been out longer. Also got some Wii games that I never had a chance to play since I never owned a Wii, like Xenoblade Chronicles and the Zelda games for the Wii. So far, it has been the better console.

I was looking through the available games for the PS4 and just got extremely disappointed. The only games coming out in the near future that are remotely interesting are The Witcher 3 and....that's all I can think of off the top of my head. All the rest are so far out it's depressing. I remember around this point last-gen we had Oblivion and Gears of War and all sorts of games that single-handedly justified getting an Xbox 360 or PS3. Other than slightly more appealing graphics (which I could really care less about since I also have my gaming PC) there isn't a single game I can think of that justifies getting a PS4 or Xbone.

I got the PS4 because Bloodborne was exclusive to it, but there is nothing in that game that justified it being on the PS4, and felt like it could've easily been released for the 360 or PS3 and one would barely notice the difference.

This is also leaving out the HUGE amount of problems that games have been released with recently, and that is inexcusable in itself.

Idk....I guess I'm just disappointed with the 'Next-Gen' so far. Anyone else having a similar experience?
Seriously, was this the first generation shift you experienced? I'm really wandering what the hell people are expecting. You know, i talk to a lot of people who aren't part of the "gaming comunity", average joes that enjoy the occassional game , who don't go to gaming forums and such. And you know what, the are all happy with their purchases. PS4 or xbone, they are pleased.

I think this problem is soley in the "gaming community" circles. They like to circle-jerk elitism and act in such a holier than thou way, making up things to be angry or dissapointed at. Are there problems with this medium? Sure, but one of the biggest problems are the unrealistic expectation gamers have.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Nope. I've very much enjoyed this gen so far from the big stuff like Sunset Overdrive and Infamous to the smaller stuff like D4 and Binding Of Isaac: Rebirth.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Yes, but that's because every new generation disappoints. Heightened this time by the lack of a graphical upgrade equal to those of previous generations, publishers pushing games out the door too soon, and quite a bit of mastication.

I'm still enjoying it well enough, but there haven't been any significant highs yet. It feels more like a continuation of the previous gen more than anything.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
Nope, enjoying the hell out of Shadow Warrior and Bloodborne also looking forward to MK X and Person 5

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
It just feels like a continuation of Generation Seven as of now.

Wait, aren't we supposed to be at the 2007 point for this gen? Oh dear, that's a tough act to follow.

Flammablezeus

Dec 19, 2013
Yeah ever since the second half of the last generation, games have been gradually stripped of features and have been released with less and less polish, especially on Sony's and Microsoft's consoles. This is the first generation where I've had no plans to buy either of their consoles and at this point it looks like those plans aren't going to change. I was bitterly disappointed with the 360 alone due to the hardware it has and the fact that you have to pay a sub just to play games online. Luckily almost every game that attracted me to that console is also available on PS3 and/or PC.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
Not really. At least not particularly this generation. It's always been at least three years until I thought any one console had enough software to warrant a purchase, and we're not there yet. Maybe this generation has a slightly worse standing because PC isn't being neglected as much as it used to be, but that's only relevant for third party games anyway. Wait it out, there will be more stuff to enjoy in the future. Even I might consider buying a PS4 if Naughty Dog and Sony Santa Monica are doing their jobs well again.

In short: I don't see any difference from all previous console generations that I witnessed. At all.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I haven't been overwhelmed by any of the offerings, but I don't have too many huge regrets in the games I've played. A decent amount of them were probably designed for (or are available for) last-gen, but its not like I bought them on last gen and this gen, its still the same amount I would've spent on the game

Playstation having charged online kind for PS4 kind of irks me, but I play most of the freebie games anyways, so it evens out, along with the occasional sales.

My major gripe with current-gen so far has been that it feels like Second Son got booted out the door just to be there for (almost) launch. Its not a bad game, but there's obvious stepdowns in enemy/power variety from the Infamous 2, especially considering the main character's power was a huge oppurtunity for differing powers.

lassiie

May 26, 2013
LegendOfLufia said:
lassiie said:

Seriously, was this the first generation shift you experienced? I'm really wandering what the hell people are expecting. You know, i talk to a lot of people who aren't part of the "gaming comunity", average joes that enjoy the occassional game , who don't go to gaming forums and such. And you know what, the are all happy with their purchases. PS4 or xbone, they are pleased.

I think this problem is soley in the "gaming community" circles. They like to circle-jerk elitism and act in such a holier than thou way, making up things to be angry or dissapointed at. Are there problems with this medium? Sure, but one of the biggest problems are the unrealistic expectation gamers have.
I guess I don't get if you are referring to me with the comment 'holier than though'. I don't feel like it's unrealistic of me to expect that there will be at least one game that has been released that justifies me buying a $400 console. How am I 'circle-jerking elitism'? By asking if other people feel as disappointed as I do on a $400 purchase?

Btw, no this isn't the first generation shift I've experienced. I started back as a kid in the SNES/Genesis days and have been gaming ever since. Each shift had games that you could point to and say 'Look at that game, there is no way you could play that on the previous console'. There hasn't been one game like that yet.

Would also like to throw out, I am not talking about what games you are enjoying playing, because all the games you guys have mentioned could've been released on the 360 or PS3 and it would've made very little difference. I am loving Bloodborne, but it could've easily been on a 360 or PS3.

Overusedname

Emcee: the videogame video guy
Jun 26, 2012
While I realize the new start is always rocky...yeah, it's a little dissapointing. But that has more to do with two factors:

1.)AAA games as a whole have stagnated due to fear of taking a big market risk and a heavy emphasis on EXTREMELY expensive production values. This is why games that sell millions are still 'financial failures.' Games have gotten to bloated to sustain themselves.

2.) Gamers as whole are mostly over 20 or so, have been playing for 10+ years, and have experienced several 'NEW GEN WOW BUY NOW' eras, and we're jaded to it. We don't buy into hype like we used to. Collectively anyway.

It's just a combination of an older audience that's harder to impress and bloated businesses that can no longer sustain themselves.

lassiie

May 26, 2013
Overusedname said:
While I realize the new start is always rocky...yeah, it's a little dissapointing. But that has more to do with two factors:

1.)AAA games as a whole have stagnated due to fear of taking a big market risk and a heavy emphasis on EXTREMELY expensive production values. This is why games that sell millions are still 'financial failures.' Games have gotten to bloated to sustain themselves.

2.) Gamers as whole are mostly over 20 or so, have been playing for 10+ years, and have experienced several 'NEW GEN WOW BUY NOW' eras, and we're jaded to it. We don't buy into hype like we used to. Collectively anyway.

It's just a combination of an older audience that's harder to impress and bloated businesses that can no longer sustain themselves.
I think you are right on both accounts. But it has been over a year now, so I figured when I bought my PS4 there would be at least one thing out besides Bloodborne that would appeal to me. So far there is nothing. The Witcher 3 is the next one. I'll probably get Mortal Kombat X, but as a fighting game, Mortal Kombat will never even come close to Street Fighter. Everything else is to far out in the future to really be excited about. I feel right about now is when we should have a huge influx in games coming out, and so far, it seems like that might be two years away.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Most games on the PS4 and Xbox 1 are pretty damn fun, it's more of a personal issue if you can't break out of your cynical shell and enjoy them. I honestly can't understand why people suddenly lost the ability to have fun, pong and pacman were repetitive and boring but still people loved the hell out of them.

Maybe it'd help if you went out at played a game that you were predispositioned to hate, go out and buy COD advanced warfare and see how much fun the unfun games out there are.

lassiie

May 26, 2013
NiPah said:
Most games on the PS4 and Xbox 1 are pretty damn fun, it's more of a personal issue if you can't break out of your cynical shell and enjoy them. I honestly can't understand why people suddenly lost the ability to have fun, pong and pacman were repetitive and boring but still people loved the hell out of them.

Maybe it'd help if you went out at played a game that you were predispositioned to hate, go out and buy COD advanced warfare and see how much fun the unfun games out there are.
Clearly you didn't read what I wrote, because I said I loved Bloodborne. The issue isn't that their are no fun games out, because there are, and that's thanks primarily to the Indie devs. The issue is that so far, no game has justified the existence of this generation. Every game that has come out so far could've easily been released on the 360 or PS3 and there would've been very little difference.

I think back to a game like Oblivion, where I sat there playing that game amazed at everything that was in it. That game alone justified the existence of the 360 to me. There were other games like it as well, but that was the first one I noticed. There is nothing you can point to and say 'there is no way that game could've been released on the 360 or PS3'. That is where my disappointment comes from.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
How could I be disappointed when I had no hope to begin with?

StreamerDarkly

Disciple of Trevor Philips
Jan 15, 2015
I agree there are very good reasons to be disappointed.

For one, since there was such a long time gap from the last gen, there was a very reasonable expectation that 60fps would be the new norm. Sadly, this has not been the case.

The lack of quality titles is another problem. Weren't these consoles supposed to be easier to develop for than the x360 and PS3?

It really has felt more like a half-step instead of completely new generation.