Is Battlefield 2 still worth buying?

LegionSeere

Feb 3, 2009
Hi I was just wondering how well the Battlefield 2 community is running now a days, mostly the Australian servers I'm wondering about.

I'm an old veteran of Battlefield 1942, my all time favourite multiplayer fps and have been wanting to start playing the battlefield series again but I found battlefield 2142 lacking in something I just can't put my finger on that 1942 had...maybe its that there is only 4 classes in it I don't know.

So just looking for some input into it, I've got a few mates who are gonna start playing BF 2 again soon as well so maybe it'll be more fun since in 2142 I played by myself so is there still packed out servers for BF2? always was a fan of 64 player servers :D

bimbley

Jan 31, 2009
Seconded! It's the only thing I miss about my 360 since I got rid and hit the PS3 highway to heaven.

zirnitra

Jun 2, 2008
I far preferred BF2 to BF:BC I havn't been on it in a long while, but I'd guess the servers are still active especially the computer ones.

scarbunny

Beware of geeks bearing gifs.
Aug 11, 2008
BF2 pc community is still pretty strong although there tend to be more hackers and glitchers around recently. My clan server is catching more than it ever has before despite always having some of the most active admins around.

I havnt played for far to long but then again Im off PC gaming in general.

s0ap sudz

Aug 28, 2008
That game is awesome. Even against bots I find it fun. Go buy it. Now. Turn off your computer and GO!

jymbobjones

Oct 29, 2008
yes BUT there is 1 thing i gotta say the ppl still on bf2 are the hardest of hardcore players they havent stop playingn it since release i hope u do well cause i know i cant come near there skill

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
BF2 and BF2: Special forces still have bags of servers. The other two expansions seemed to die an instant death though, so don't bother with those. The hacking isn't as bad as some people would have you believe, although there is more than form Valve's shooters.

The only real problem (imo) is how massively overpowered aircraft are, it's not the most stable game ever either...

bimbley said:
Seconded! It's the only thing I miss about my 360 since I got rid and hit the PS3 highway to heaven.
You're thinking of BF2:Modern Combat, which was also great.

jymbobjones

Oct 29, 2008
lol i hate the planes (wen im not in 1 :D)cause the second u get into a tank u just die and its like ... wtf werd that come from then u watch the cheeky git kill 5 of ur other teamates in 1 pass

BubbleGumSnareDrum

Dec 24, 2008
It's a great game now, but I remember it was awful when it first came out. Be sure to get all of the (ridiculously large) patches for it.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
CaptainEgypt said:
It's a great game now, but I remember it was awful when it first came out. Be sure to get all of the (ridiculously large) patches for it.
Seconded, don't even think of trying to play it (online or off) without the V.1.41 patch.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
It's definitely fun, even though I've never played online. I could imagine it being much better. It's great to experience alone, so I'd assume multiplayer is much better. I assumed it would be similar to BF1942, so I never really bothered.

curlycrouton

Jul 13, 2008
Buy it.

Put it this way, it's one of the most complex, rewarding, team-based, mature multiplayer games I've ever witnessed. There's no idiots shouting "n00b!" and such like, teamwork is essential to winning and gaining kills, and above all it's still an awful lot of fun.

Grae

Sep 25, 2008
Valiance said:
It's definitely fun, even though I've never played online. I could imagine it being much better. It's great to experience alone, so I'd assume multiplayer is much better. I assumed it would be similar to BF1942, so I never really bothered.

Wow. Then you have no idea what this game is like. If you haven't played BF2 online...why play it? It's like playing Counter-Strike, or Left 4 Dead with bots...that is NOT the game. The Battlefield series was built to be played online, and I think every single gamer should dig their teeth into it for several days before coming out with an opinion, if not to just experience the game. And it's a helluva game.

I go back to play it every half year or so, and I always get sucked back in. I'd still be playing it religiously if it weren't for CS:S being just the tiniest bit more addicting. Well, that's not true...BF2 offers one of the most solid, cooperative, FUN online gaming experiences there is to offer. But the real game is in being on Ventrilo with a full squad, capping flags like nothing. But occasionally, you'll find that it sucks not being in with a squad, while still being in one. What really keeps the game fun, after months and months, is rolling servers with your squad. Playing any team-based game with people you know, and are comfortable with, makes the game that much better. But for anyone, this game is a must-buy, if you're just the slightest bit interested.

Shit. Just thinking about the game makes me want to play. And as far as Valiance thinking it "similar" to 2142...you're right and you're wrong. It's the bridge in-between 1942 and 2142, literally, and gameplay-wise. It's not as "casual gamer"-friendly as 2142, and it's not as "old-school" as 1942. And it's nothing like the console version (Modern Combat), which I was thoroughly pissed off with. Battlefield 2 is perfect.

Joeshie

Oct 9, 2007
Yes to the PC version, very much no to the console version.

BF2 is one of the best online games of all time.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
To tell the truth, couple o' things have driven me away from Battlefield 2, and I haven't touched it since.
Shame, you will never know the awesome power of the L96.
I really liked the unlocks, they added an incentive to keep playing in the first few huors when I got my ass handed to me every 35 seconds.
2142 took things a bit far though, having to unlock nearly every piece of gear isn't much fun.