Is Blizzard Developing Diablo "Sequels"?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Is Blizzard Developing Diablo "Sequels"?

It seems that Diablo III [http://www.amazon.com/Diablo-III-Pc/dp/B00178630A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279055525&sr=1-1] may not be the only diabolical project over at Blizzard after all.

Diablo III is a very long way away. Why is it so far away? Well, there are a few options - the team could be constantly revising all of their plans, for one. They could be too addicted to WoW [http://www.amazon.com/Starcraft-II-Wings-Liberty-Pc/dp/B000ZKA0J6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278964580&sr=1-1], for another. Or, they could be working on more than one game.

The recent shaken up at Infinity Ward [http://investor.activision.com/secfiling.cfm?filingID=1047469-10-1649]) contained a bit of information about what the company's Blizzard arm was up to in its secret fortress buried beneath Irvine.

[blockquote]"Blizzard is currently developing new games, including a new expansion pack to the World of Warcraft franchise, Cataclysm [http://www.amazon.com/World-Warcraft-Cataclysm-Pc/dp/B002I0HKIU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279055686&sr=1-1], StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, which will be released with the new and improved Battle.net, and sequels to the Diablo franchise."[/blockquote]

Nothing new there, right? We knew Blizzard was working on Cataclysm and StarCraft as well as sequels to Diablo - wait, what's that? Sequels? As in, plural? Waitaminnit.

While it's tempting to assume that this could just be referring to concurrent development of both Diablo III and its inevitable expansion pack, it's worth noting that the SEC filing specifically indicates that Cataclysm is an expansion, not a sequel. MTV Multiplayer [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2010/03/03/blizzard-currently-developing-diablo-sequels-yes-thats-plural/] points back to an interview they had with D3 lead Jay Wilson at last year's BlizzCon:

"We're not saying this is the end of the Diablo universe," said Wilson, "but we are trying to bring this storyline to a close. It's not just Diablo 3 - we've got plans beyond."

Very, very interesting. There's no doubt that Diablo III is the main focus right now, but there may well be stuff in the works for the popular series beyond that title.

Maybe we won't have to wait twelve years for Diablo IV.

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
At least it stops them from whoring out WoW, it would be nice to see.

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
Hands up anyone who is surprised Activision have plans to milk the Diablo series for years to come. Anyone?

rockingnic

May 6, 2009
They develop like they have only one guy doing everything. They disappoint me that it takes them a decade to make a new game.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
And this obvious, common-sense fact is news? I mean, cmon, of course they have other projects in mind.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
I'd hate to be a gaming spokesperson, just one extra letter can send the rumour mill spinning right along the grapevine.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
If they are, it'll be amazing. It would also justify the fact that it's been 10 years since Diablo II

tetron

Dec 9, 2009
Oh I'm sure they're setting up the diablo milk wagon so they can have a new cash cow the second they kill WoW. And lets not forget that they still have starcraft. Sci-fi MMOs are becoming more popular and there's plenty of them for blizzard to start ripping off the most popular features for World of Starcraft(maybe Universe of Starcraft ? idk).

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Gotta love the image with the unicorns and the happy clouds. I so wish this were the new art direction for diablo.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
So is that picture a teaser to the new evil in D3? :D

I hold nothing against Blizzard wanting to do more with Diablo. Between 1 and 2, they've already created a diverse world in Sanctuary with lots more to explore.

Mehall

Feb 1, 2010
The DSM said:
98% of Acti-blizz's revenue comes from WoW. Good luck with the "not whoring"

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
That picture never gets old Funk.

D4zZ said:
I'd hate to be a gaming spokesperson, just one extra letter can send the rumour mill spinning right along the grapevine.
Welcome to humanity, where the littlest of discrepancies can snowball into EVERYBODY PANIC SPECULATE ABOUT A NEW DIABLO GAME!

:p

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Mehall said:
The DSM said:
98% of Acti-blizz's revenue comes from WoW. Good luck with the "not whoring"
98% of Blizzard's revenue. Not Activision-Blizzard. Combined, WoW/Guitar Hero/CoD make up 68% of Activision-Blizzard's revenue, though, so it's still a major piece of the puzzle.

BioTox

Nov 19, 2009
Woo! Here comes World of Diablocraft! I mean... *cough*

(-,-),.o0( That was my outside voice)