Is Bulletstorm Appropriate for Kids, CliffyB?

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
banthesun said:
Palademon said:
I fail to see the importance of devoting a thread to this, John.
Is it wrong that I laughed more at this than the video itself?
Not at all, although I find this video advert less bad than the other one that was linked here.

It's still a mediocre video to a probably equally mediocre game.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Palademon said:
I fail to see the importance of devoting a thread to this, John.
It's a news post, they automatically have a thread attached to them.

OT: I don't really care for these videos much, honestly. The gameplay looks good, but the repeated videos which don't show anything about the game are getting on my nerves.

DoW Lowen

Exarch
Jan 11, 2009
strangeotron said:
JeanLuc761 said:
I'm a bit confused. How was Gears of War 2 a failure in any way, shape or form? By all accounts it's substantially more popular than Gears 1, and it was also better designed. It was financially and critically successful.

Either way, the ONLY problem I have with CliffyB is his apparent disdain for PC gamers (Where's my GoW2 and GoW3 Cliffy?!), but he's never earned my ire or even my hate.
You didn't play it on release then, obviously. A complete and utter mess online surrounded by a wall of media hype and the arrogance of this smug jackass. Not once did any of those involved apologise for their broken crap or even fix it, despite a number of useless and stupid updates. They haven't the first clue what they are doing and couldn't handle the success they received fromt he first game. Instead they chose to ban anyone that dissented from the view that 'EPIC ARE GOD' or 'GEARS IS AMAZING' on their forums, regardless. Such blatant disrespect is why I think 'CliffyB' deserves scorn not praise; yet here we go again, he's got his face in the press/websites and everyone can't wait to shake his hand.
Wow, you weren't happy with a game, therefore designer equals next Hitler. No seriously, I mean I don't like Cliffy B. enough to rush to his defense at every mosquito attack, but what you're saying is not only ridiculous and I should really leave it at that, but quite frankly hopelessly ignorant. But I'm going to do you a favor and set your mind straight, if only to set an example for anyone else with the telemetry to post something like this, on ANY other matter.

Firstly, I would love for you to name any game that doesn't have any kind of broken mechanic, bugs, issues or general failures ESPECIALLY in multiplayer upon release, hell even a year after a release bugs are always found. This is the thing about consumers, they're ungrateful little dipshits sometimes. Unless you have it exactly the way you want it, you're going to go onto the internet and wail like a Japanese sailor during the Humpback mating season. So they have issues with the game, fine it's frustrating, you're allowed to have that, but when they fix it you expect a public apology? Did you also want the designers to self-flagellate themselves with a hooked nine tails? Also you're acting like Cliff was solely responsible for the entire game, as if he has eight arms working on 14 computers round the clock to build a game from scratch. Competent designers want their games to be perfect, but they don't expect them to be. No reasonable expects them to be. Designing games isn't a matter of typing a bunch of codes into a computer and then hitting enter. Game designers are architects, more than architects, imagine engineering a building in non-existent space, then doing that a million times making sure each of the buildings are touching, but never touching to close, making sure that each building has the right amount of ventilation, heating, insulation, living space and a nice little playground in the community area. That's what designers do, if you're a religious person, you'd know even God fucked up some of his grandest designs.

Also about an earlier comment you made about how Cliff takes attention away from 'real game designers', as if the guys over at Valve and Obsidian are crying in the corner because he made a 30 second video to promote the release of one of his own games, seriously? Also you ignore the fact that he has in several interviews praised the works of other studios, assisted other companies in designing their games, has publicly acknowledge the downfalls of his own products and vows to improve them despite massive commercial and critical success, being the head of his studio he is also expected to play friendly with the media (and has done quite a good job of it as you can tell by his reception here on the Escapist) - but no, even if you knew, you wouldn't care - because you couldn't play GOW2 multiplayer on release.

It pisses me right off when people aren't happy with something so they blow it out of proportion, if you weren't happy about the multiplayer you could have just acknowledge that, have your right to be pissed about that and let it be. But you try to justify your side and write an argument that you thought would make you sound reasonable and intelligent. People should really show designers more respect, the people of the industry keep you happy and no one aims to make you miserable. So stop taking it so personally.

P.S. Also I'm not picking on you, I'm just sick of seeing people post stupid shit and letting them get away with it.

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
lacktheknack said:
I wanted to make a "dicktits" reference here, but I enjoy not being on probation.
yeah, non-probation is good.

Hi, I'm Terry*, and I've been off probation for 5 months now!

OT: I still think Sony guy is funnier. What was his name again? AH, Jack Thompson, I think.

*[sub]not my real name[/sub]

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
Latinidiot said:
lacktheknack said:
I wanted to make a "dicktits" reference here, but I enjoy not being on probation.
yeah, non-probation is good.

Hi, I'm Terry*, and I've been off probation for 5 months now!

OT: I still think Sony guy is funnier. What was his name again? AH, Jack Thompson, I think.

*[sub]not my real name[/sub]
Jack Thompson is the opposite, you're thinking of Kevin Butler

LGC Pominator

Feb 11, 2009
strangeotron said:
Gears 2 on release was a total and utter mess. Aside from the unplayability, the design changes were so ass backward that it made the first one look like the future of gaming. Total and utter amateur hour game design sold on a pack of lies by a company fronted by an egomaniac. Great way to con people.

I'm not here to justify the failings of other games.

I don't care that my opinion pisses you off that you need to post an entire biblical thesis in order to puff up your own selfimportance. I care that gamers are more and more subject to the whims of people like 'cliffyb' rather than getting the products they deserve at a level of quality they deserve. Maybe if the gaming media and the internet were more critical that would happen but instead, everytime this joker opens his mouth, it's more of the same and people can't wait to lap it up.
Wow, you might just be the single angriest person online right now. Seriously, calm down, he hasn't done anything to hurt you directly, and to be honest people acting like you are the reason developers maintain a large disconnect from much of their fanbase, they try to fix the issues in a timely manner, but when they do something wrong they are torn apart for their work, do you really think that they would want to spend time finding out the opinions of some unappeasable shouty angry kids, when they could be working on fixing the issues that they know about and testing it themselves, and honestly, what makes you think you "deserve" a certain level of quality from a game? The fact that you spent £45 on it on release? I have spent more money on products and entertainment that hasn't lasted half as long as the amount of man hours I have spent on GoW single player alone.

I really REALLY cannot stand entitled gamers who think that the world owes them everything.

As for the hatred of CliffyB himself, so what? his team made a brilliant game, he got great commercial success, the same team then grew larger and worked on a bigger game, got even greater success, he being the frontman of that team gets to peacock around showing off about it in order to boost sales of his team's next work, thats kinda the way of the world, he certainly hasn't done anything wrong, and certainly nothing that directly affects you, no matter what your personal opinion of him or his games may be, he is well within his rights to enjoy the spotlight, Gears of War 2 was an amazing game, sure the multiplayer was not perfect on release, but they worked on fixing it, that is more than some developers, getting up in arms about a feature of the game that is non-essential and then dedicating a whole lot of hate towards someone attached to the project because of your opinion of that non-essential feature is particularly crazy, might I reccomend a herbal bath?