Is "c***" just a replacement for "f*****?"

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Gaymaster Nacelle said:
Baffle2 said:
Except the only people who'd associate cuck and ****** with "stereotypical basement-dweller"s, are precisely the kind that's fun to upset that way in the first place.
/Shrug. I think you're misunderstanding - it's not a case of being upset, most people will just discount you as an idiot. I know it's shocking for youngsters (I'm not saying you are one, mind you), but most people over 30 really have been there, done that, and sometimes done a bit of the other. They aren't impressed when someone uses naughty words, they just think it's funny. Like... have you ever seen the Harry Enfield characters Kevin and Perry? It's like that. We've all been teenagers and wanted to be special, I'm sure, and sometimes standing out as a try-hard is the best you can do (though if it is, that's a shame).

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Jamash said:
Ironically, by ambiguously censoring "cuck" and "******" in the topic title and censoring every letter except the first, the topic title now scans as Is "****" just a replacement for "fucker"?, which is far more vulgar than what it was originally.
But it's a perfectly valid question. Maybe we should have another thread about that. But I want all the letters asterisked there too, for extra confusion.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Gaymaster Nacelle said:
It depends on the context in which it's used, and the tone of its delivery - just like saying "fucking" all the time, or sparingly (in an American accent that is) can end up corny, so can this.

But if you think someone's an "idiot" for simply saying cuck or ******, then yes, you are the kind of individual who's fun to poke in that fashion - the fact that it's "not upset" doesn't really matter, don't worry; upset is just one of the tasty flavors - getting uppity and condescending and talking about how "not immature teenager anymore" is every bit as voluptuous.

The instances you're talking about, about "wanting to be special", apply to situations when someone's taking themselves too seriously while doing it, and/or thinks they're being edgy in an environment where no one bats an eye; i.e. like the original euphoria post on r/atheism, it was just group wankery at that point.

Jabbing snobs and moralists doesn't qualify; neither does casual usage - discernment is valuable, and can be used for advantages.
Ah, well none of that really changes anything, so I'll just have to direct you to my previous /Shrug

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Gaymaster Nacelle said:
Cuckold was coined as a humiliating term, so I think it makes enough sense that it's now used specifically to refer to the humiliating type of "watching your wife/gf get railed by another man" - isn't the more general concept called "hotwifing" instead?
After scouring a bunch of kink glossaries, it seems like some people do prefer the term "hotwifing" because they feel put off by the D/s connotations of cuckolding. I can understand that, but I can't say it's a term I'd ever heard actually used, and thus I'd hesitate to say it's "more general".

Furthermore, even if we were to accept that cuckolding necessary has a D/s component, that doesn't translate into humiliation. It's not humiliating, in a scene where D/s relationships are normal, to want to be a submissive, so the term still makes zero sense as an insult except as a sex-negative criticism of BDSM as a practice.

Gaymaster Nacelle said:
Also, the even more general practice of "swinging" also involves similar constellations, and no one calls that cuckoldry?
Swinging is a general term for a consensual non-monogamous lifestyle, not a specific sex act. Some swingers are also into cuckolding (in the form of watching sex acts involving a spouse or partner) but usually sex itself is private and between two people. Swinging is sometimes associated with a specific scene where people engage in casual sex and hookups via swinger parties or internet communities. Outside of this context, it's fallen out of favour as a term recently in favour of polyamory or open relationships which have less negative connotations. Generally, the only time people use swinging now is to describe a relationship where a committed and otherwise monogamous couple have casual sex with people they aren't emotionally involved with, particularly if they come from an older generation where swinging was still a big deal.

In practice, a lot of private fetish parties closely resemble swinger parties in dynamic, and the terms aren't as clear cut as people think as some swingers have always ended up having long term emotional relationships with their secondary sexual partners. The best policy, as with anything to do with a person's sex life, is to consider people on the basis of what they do, not the terms they use to describe their relationship.

Gaymaster Nacelle said:
But if you think someone's an "idiot" for simply saying cuck or ******, then yes, you are the kind of individual who's fun to poke in that fashion - the fact that it's "not upset" doesn't really matter, don't worry; upset is just one of the tasty flavors - getting uppity and condescending and talking about how "not immature teenager anymore" is every bit as voluptuous.
And if you think that merely "poking" people constitutes actual humour, you're an idiot. It's the circle of life.

Like, if I was an idiot, I'd point out the effort that you went to all the trouble of writing a deeply pretentious post for what essentially amounts to a "u mad bro" and then surmise that you'd been "poked" and were secretly crying sweet sweet internet tears for my amusement.

But that would be idiotic.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Gaymaster Nacelle said:
Erm... I was talking about fantasy humiliation, as part of the D/s scenario - a fantasy reflective of, and hence named after the actual humiliating insult against "horned husbands".
Language is polyvalent. The qualitative meaning of words can change depending on how and under what context a person uses them. The term "******" was a descriptor which became an insult due to the perceived negative characteristics of people it described, for example, but today it can be used either with or without those insulting implications depending on context and intent. The same with "queer".

When people use these words positively and affirmatively, they aren't denying that they were ever insults, but they're also not using them as insults, they're using them as a kind of knowing inversion of critique of the ideology which made them insults in the first place. People who engage in cuckolding or describe themselves as cuckolds don't necessarily feel insulted or "humiliated" by the word. Cuckolding was adopted in BDSM circles as a positive affirmation of the validity of the sex act it describes. Why is it necessary to view the term as essentially humiliating?

Words, including insults, rely on the acceptance of shared meaning. In this case, there is no clear shared meaning. You could hypothetically use any word as an insult by simply using it in a particular tone and context, but if it's not immediately apparent what you mean then it's probably not a very good insult.

Gaymaster Nacelle said:
What you say has been "recently renamed" into open relationships and polyamory, I've always called open relationships and polyamory - distinguishing it from swinging not because of negative connotations but because I associated swinging with like group orgy sessions and those are distinct from general open relationships?
The term "polyamory" was only invented a decade or two ago and is already controversial. Swinging, on the other hand, dates to the 70s at least. A lot of what today would be called polyamory was until quite recently described as swinging, because that was one of the few commonly understood terms to describe it.

Anyone can make up words or decide to use words differently if they don't like the words that exist, see "hotwifing". The thing is, just because you've decided what words mean doesn't mean everyone else still disagrees. There are swingers who follow a very stereotypical relationship pattern of living like a normal couple and then arranging hookups on the internet or going to parties, but reality means that some swingers will develop long term networks of other swingers and end up doing something which you might associate more with polyamory. However, they might still call it swinging, especially if they come from that generation before the term polyamory existed or to keep up contact within the scene.

Also, most swinging parties are not necessarily group orgy sessions. They usually take place in private houses, and there will be a group room and several private rooms. Not everyone who is into swinging is into group sex, and some swinging relationships don't allow it, indeed, most people who go to swinger parties (or private fetish parties) don't actually participate for their first couple of parties, or will only have sex with established partners.

Gaymaster Nacelle said:
Um no, you're confusing passive and active here - I hadn't been "poked"; I did the poking, though technically it was a use mention thing; or perhaps use+mention (i.e. construction craft^^).
That's just your perspective. From my perspective, Baffle did the poking with the basement dweller comment and you responded by replying to his thread. The reason why you think you responded or the quality of your argument doesn't matter, what matters is my PHUN and lulz, which is entirely independent of your perception of the situation. It doesn't matter whether you think you responded in a way which was amusing or "voluptuous", I can decide for you that you did, because in this hypothetical scenario I'm an idiot and I don't need the participation of other human beings to amuse myself. I can sit here mentally jacking off on the notion that you got TRIGGERED and emotionally reacted without requiring any genuine interaction or exchange of shared meaning which might result in a shared experience. You don't need to understand why or how you've been humiliated or exposed in this scenario, you have because I've decided you have. Why else would you have responded at all?

Gaymaster Nacelle said:
If you want to reduce me to tears, you're gonna have to do much better than this I fear....
That's exactly what someone who hated fun and was crying big salty tears would say.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Gaymaster Nacelle said:
Windknight said:
StatusNil said:
I'm not a habitual user of the term myself, but I'm sure tempted to pick it up every time I come across these kind of disapproval circles. "Only stupid kids use the gross word!" does come across as a sign that it works as intended, "stupid" having overtaken a simple "bad" as a go-to stigma for use on the patronized when they get uppity. So maybe it's better to get in on the game before it inevitably loses its power from overuse.
'It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid, than open your mouth and prove you are.'

Seriously, imitating a child who's learned a swear word and says it over and over because adults gasp when they do isn't exactly the best way to present yourself.
Seeing the adults "gasp", and get all uppity saying phrases like "not best way to present yourself", is kind of the whole point.
(ruffles your hair)

Aw, aren't you mommy's special little soldier ^_^ go tell her what a Big Boy you are and she'll buy you some nummy candy ^_^

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
I thought a cuck was just shorthand for cuckold?
Basically you're so unvirile other dudez sleep with your wife openly and you don't do anything about it cos you're so unmanly?

Reading other peoples definitions, makes me wonder if my understanding wasn't wrong.
Anyways nothing more to add, im not very good at insulting people to begin with so isn't my area of expertise.