Is college even worth it at this point in time?

OZWIN

May 14, 2012
I think college is something that isn't for everyone. If you want to be a doctor, lawyer, teacher, or something like that then college is definitely for you. Overall I feel it is for the people who want to go the extra mile when it comes to schooling. I personally don't think I'll end up going to college.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
Regnes said:
The common problem I'm seeing from everybody complaining online is that everybody seems to be taking college programs that never really had a strong graduation to employment relationship in the first place.

Wooo a degree in fine arts, where are all the jobs for guys like me who understand arts and stuff? The problem isn't that college is a poor investment of time and resources, it's that people don't know HOW to invest their time and resources. I'm not trying to mock people like you or anything, but why not train for something you know there will always be lots of jobs for? Medicine is often a safe bet unless you choose some very obscure field, demand for health care is hardly depended on the economy.
This is exactly it. Example: I have a degree in Film/TV Boradcasting. Its not required. However, I get a bump in payrate and some companies are attracted to Film School graduates because they know "the latest and greatest". But... its not required. So don't expect it alone to give you a one up.

You need to decide what field your going into. Then find someone experienced in that field to tell you how important a degree is. Don't assume, never assume.

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
Well my degree at business college is required to get into business academy. Graduates from business academy have virtually guaranteed employment for life where I live ontop of excellent salaries. Compared to unemployment or teen jobs those are good prospects to me.

Nerexor

Mar 23, 2009
Firstly: humanities degrees are not worthless. You tend to come out of them with a lot of "soft skills" like critical thinking and the ability to do a decent bit of writing. You can use those skills in pretty much any job, the problem is they won't leap out on a resume and won't necessarily get you a job. If you want a job instead of an education (which is perfectly viable) then either make sure what you're taking has jobs at the end of it, or don't bother with university. Also beware of degrees that look like they will, but are oversaturated.

Teaching degrees are the worst for that in Canada. The field is beyond saturated with people who got out of school and said "I'm gonna be a teacher" and didn't realize that a whole lot of other people were saying that. So many that competition for teaching jobs is now incredibly high.

If you just want a job and don't particularly like school, then you don't have to go to university. Get an apprenticeship in the trades. It's well paying work that is always somewhat in demand. Friends of mine who skipped out on university and went into the trades now make the same money I do after getting a bachelors and masters degree. And they're on the lower end of the totem pole as far as the trades go. And they don't have my debt either[footnote]Though I know mine isn't nearly as bad as most as I worked alternate terms in my first degree and managed to pay my own way. Still owe around 15,000 for the masters though...[/footnote]

TL;DR - University is pretty great, but it is not, nor has it ever been, a guarantee of a job. It is there to educate you in specific skills. There are other paths to get jobs that pay just as well as any post-grad job, and will tend to have better job security. We always need electricians, painters, plumbers, etc... Those jobs aren't going away anytime soon.

MellowFellow

Feb 14, 2010
It is worth it depending on what you want to do. I also think that going to college is helpful in networking before you get a job. I know at my university there are many different career fairs and clubs that have companies come in to talk to students. Networking is very useful.

It is worth it for me and my brother (who will going into his first year) because our parents have been saving up money for college for both of us since we were born, which has been extremely helpful for us.