Is E3 Worth It?

Apr 28, 2008
I'm hoping this E3 will bring some form of Timesplitters announcement.

Far-fetched, yes, but I don't care. I wants me some more Timesplitters dammit!

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I was sent to E3 in 2005, while I thought it would be cool to hang out with other developers and talk to the press, that was far from the opposite. Like 75% of the attendance were low level Gamestop(like) employees. It was quite annoying.

I found it was much funner to go to game developer conferences like GDC and the ECGC.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
For a minute there, I thought Jim was going to go into a question everything spiral. Still, good article. I really couldn't care much less about E3 myself. Most everything is revealed, or at least hinted at, before the event starts, and most of what's shown is trailers. I don't really care to watch trailers because they're meant only to hype of them game, and it's not really worth getting hyped up about something when it could turn into a disappointment. The worst part is that many trailers don't even show any gameplay, making them twice as pointless. Oh well, at least it's something that draws attention to gaming as a whole that isn't a shooting or a bit on how games corrupt youth.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Good points, but I agree with Jim. Something in me just gets excited when I see E3 footage. That hope of something you've been waiting for being officially announced, seeing more trailers and demonstrations of games you are anticipating; it just makes me feel like a kid again. And Yahtzee's Nintendo bashing is always entertaining.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
I try not to get into hype, but I find that I can't help it. I hope Yahtzee will make another one of his E3 hype videos because I really enjoy those.

Jungy 365

Sep 13, 2010
I think I definitly fall in the 'hyped up gullible consumer' category when it comes to E3. I can't help it, it's just the effect of it all. In that regard, I agree with Jim. It's just nice to have an event to look forward to. Even if you don't get swept up in the hype, as Yahtzee does, you can't deny that there's a hell of a lot of news for the industry, and it's always good to know what we'll be seeing in a year or so's time. Having said that, we desperately need Yahtzee's episodes, as the hype is good for the week, and I thoroughly enjoy it, but it's like the week after Christmas; it was magical at the time, but we don't want to be celebrating it constantly, that would be silly.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
There are tons of potential uses for a touchscreen on a controller, most of them being useful for same-room multiplayer gaming.

If anyone played the excellent Culdcept the touchscreen could be used for a player's individual hand. Or a game like mario kart where you could keep the item you just got from the question block hidden or even just the map.

RPG games could keep an elegant inventory and stat screen on the touchpad while keeping the main screen clear. Or imagine an Aliens game with a motion tracker on the controller. The player would hear the beeps or feel vibration but would have to look at the small screen to see the details, adding to the immersion.

Or how about a fantasy game where you cast spells by drawing gestures on the touchscreen (actually wiimote is probably best for that)?

And the best use would be the archetypal four swords gameplay where there was a main screen but individuals could run off into their own side instances.

milo2215

Jul 23, 2010
Am i the only one who's getting rather put off by Yahtzee? He seems to be acting more and more like a complete cynical prick(as opposed to being a cynical prick most of the time, but sometimes actually having a good opinion) each time he does something relating to the Escapist. Have the years of being payed to play video games getting to him, or has he become a parody of himself?

Spygon

May 16, 2009
Well normally i disagree with nearly everything Jim says sadly but he is right about the industry getting excited but he say its for the wrong reasons. As the reason I think most people get excited is not because we forget about the "bad parts of gaming" etc subs and online passes.

But it because it where all the publishers have the whole gaming world saying "okay we have heard your hints and rumours it now time to show your cards"

As E3 shows pretty much what in the gaming world people need to keep their eyes on for the next six months. It also shows us what developers have had to not talk about the projects they are working on.

Akiraacecombat

Feb 10, 2011
From a critical standpoint E3 is just a marketing event,that is all,If you are looking for something somewhat relevant for development go to GDC,that is all,E3 is just a huge marketing event to promotion the different products and show trailers produced quite long time ago.

So is not worth the trouble,however the only interest that I find is more information about the NGP,the thing looks promising from the development standpoint and more information seem appropriate for this event,the rest is just trailers and gimics for people to buy.
(BTW Frostbite 2 has a lot of potential in the upcoming years,I wish EA provide that technology to competent developers)

Hexenwolf

Sep 25, 2008
WOW. Jim comes across SO much better in text than in video. It's honestly very shocking. In this particular article, I agreed with him much more than Yahtzee and James (which is unusual, cause normally I like both their opinions).

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
I have to say, I agree with Jim on this one. E3 can be a lot of fun and I personally look forward to all the big announcements and new trailers.

That being said, even though its still early, I've been pretty underwhelmed by this year's show.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Is E3 worth the money? It's definitely a spectacle, and a lot of money clearly goes into it, but when you compare that to the real "fun" shows like PAX, BlizzCon, and ComiCon... there's just no comparison. E3 is a press event, little more than a long commercial ad (that costs about 100x as much and doesn't reach as many people). Nothing I'm interested in will be at E3 for that very reason, so that's already several points off.

I suppose there needs to be a stage for "big announcements" in the industry... but it feels most of the spectacle is wasted impressing the press instead of the consumers.

Come to think of it, maybe E3 is just a way to buy good reviews. In which case... clever, developers... very clever. *slow clap*

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I like E3 the most when you find out about stuff you didn't know about. The big reveals. The sudden shocks. One of the reasons I always like Nintendo's presentations.. Even with all the leaks, there's still enough under wraps for a pleasant surprise with their stuff.

As for the article itself, I agreed with Jim for the most part. And I'm now interested in that Edge of Twilight game. I hope it does come out.

Also, this might just be me, but Yahtzee's constant Nintendo bashing is just starting to become boringly predictable. I don't mind that he doesn't like Nintendo, it's just that every time he's involved in anything involving Nintendo, you know what's coming.

CommanderKirov

Oct 3, 2010
Is it just me or are Jim's opinions much easier to understand and process when he has them written down and thought through instead of shouting them at you from behind his glasses?

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Interesting discussion, guys, but I can't help but wonder, what else do you expect? Do you expect the gaming industry not to advertise or market itself for some arbitrary reason? Should no game trailers ever be released because they raise hype and lead to people expecting things? It's a business. You have to let people know your products exist, and hence unveiling games and trailers around a press event gets people talking and is a very quick and easy way of letting your target audience know that your product exists. There's a huge chance people won't see an ad on TV or in a billboard, but if you have every gaming news outlet publishing this trailer and spreading it everywhere on the internet, it becomes much easier to find.

I particularly didn't understand Yahtzee's basic argument. "All games are going to suck so they should never be advertised". Most of us aren't game reviewers who get to play nearly every game that comes out each year with the cost covered by our employers. Knowing what games are coming out and hearing interviews or information about them (even if the Q&A is just plugging, but yes most people are in fact smart enough to realise that) is pretty darn important in the process of figuring out whether it might be worth looking into a particular game or whether it might appeal to their tastes. Sure, people might be let down by the fact that the game isn't as good as they'd like but I fail to see how that's the fault of advertising and not the fault of the game being subpar. Of course ads make things look better than they are. How is this new?

I dont know, I guess I'm just confused as to why it seemed like the article is about how gamers should be shocked or clucking their tongues with disapproval at the fact that games advertise.