Is E3 Worth It?

kebab4you

New member
Jan 3, 2010
1,451
0
0
What I´ve heard about E3 it´s very boring, however I hope the next GDC will be awesome.
 

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
1,815
0
0
Mr. Omega said:
I like E3 the most when you find out about stuff you didn't know about. The big reveals. The sudden shocks. One of the reasons I always like Nintendo's presentations.. Even with all the leaks, there's still enough under wraps for a pleasant surprise with their stuff.
This is why I like E3. Each of the big guns in the industry always has something new and fun to pull out or some big surprise to get the press and the fans talking (seriously, who expected the 3DS last year?). While I agree that as an industry something like GDC is better or for fans its PAX, but nothing beats E3 in media hype. Even the BBC cover E3 when normally games only get noticed for doing something bad.
 

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
12,052
1,686
118
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Gender
✅
I'm with you, James. Let's see some Thief love up in this place. And seriously, I forgot E3 was even coming (kind of like the last, oh, five or six years at least) so you might be able to figure out if I think it's worth all the pomp and circumstance (or sturm und drang, depending on who you ask).
 

-Drifter-

New member
Jun 9, 2009
2,521
0
0
OutrageousEmu said:
Wait, you guys replaced a fat egotistical asshole with a less fat, less egotistical and less asholeish asshole? Well, I must see this now.
Wait, who was the first asshole? And who replaced him? Jim?
 

beema

New member
Aug 19, 2009
944
0
0
I turned on G4 to watch E3 coverage, and almost immediately switched the channel.

The whole thing is just a giant circle jerk, with everyone patting themselves on the back, and the audience clapping like trained seals at every lens flare and gimmick they see on screen.

On top of that, all of the presenters come of as giant douchebags, still making gamers look like immature manchildren.
 

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
453
0
0
Welcome to opposite day everyone, where Jim makes sense and Yahtzee and James are a little off. James did make sense in his comparison of PAX to E3. E3 is a big comercial event, and those heavily ingrained into the business of games probably don't get as much out of it as the consumer. For us though that moment when you first see a trailer for a game that sucks you in, and psyches you up is simply magical. E3 is like that only for ABOUT 90 GAMES AT ONCE with booth babes and b list celebs tossed in to sweeten the mix.

How can a gamer not love that?
 

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
3,847
0
0
"Casual gaming and motion controls are the future," it declared. "Look, we're doing it too, look!" cried Sony and Microsoft desperately. "LOL J/K," went Nintendo.
That was my favorite part of last year's E3. Microsoft made themselves look like idiots with all the Kinect stuff (and they did it again this year), Sony was somewhere in the middle with all the Move stuff (at least some of the Move games looked cool though, but they made up for it by showing us PSP commercials; really Sony?!), and Nintendo is like "BAM CORE GAMES FOOLS!"

It will be interesting to see what they'll be doing this year. I guess it'll all depend on what's true or not true about Cafe. I'm excited to see, though. I just hope the controllers won't cost $100 or more.

RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
BTW anyone see EAs show? 'We won't gibe a giant stage, lots of lights, and a dozen celebrities. But here is our giant fucking stage, lights, and sports stars."
Yes, yes I did. John Riccitiello rips on Microsoft for bringing out Ice-T to play Gears 3. Then later, they have not one, but THREE football players for the Madden portion of their presentation. If there's one thing John Riccitiello is good at, it's making a huge ass out of himself.

beema said:
The whole thing is just a giant circle jerk, with everyone patting themselves on the back, and the audience clapping like trained seals at every lens flare and gimmick they see on screen.
Actually, no to the clapping bit. There was a part during Kudo whatshisname talking about Kinect Funbag or whatever that was called where he showed off the item scanning (you know, that thing we saw two years ago when it was still called Natal), then he waited and waited for the applause to come. But the room was silent. Eventually he just had to continue his presentation. I laughed my ass off at that part.
 

Avistew

New member
Jun 2, 2011
302
0
0
I was disappointed that Movie Bob wasn't in this (he's still on the banner by the way, might want to fix that), hopefully he'll be back next time.
 

Zaverexus

New member
Jul 5, 2010
934
0
0
I love that they both ignore Sterling's toolage.
I'm still not sure why he's here.
Avistew said:
I was disappointed that Movie Bob wasn't in this (he's still on the banner by the way, might want to fix that), hopefully he'll be back next time.
Agreed, let's get all our primary commentators back here.

Sorry "Jim", but your original "tough" act has definitely lost you favor.
 

ColdBlooded

New member
Feb 8, 2011
129
0
0
To me E3 is showing a taste of what's coming in the next year or so in the form of actual game demoes and not trailers or text previews, and since I don't pay attention to anything else, thats what I get and i'm happy for it.

But the discussion and comments mention PAX and GDC and I, again, only see game demoes from them and I would like to know from someone who has been to PAX or GDC, what is it like and what does it usually have. I know I can wiki the topics, but I would like to hear what the experience is like from someone who has actually been there in detail.
 

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
9,145
0
0
I like E3, simply because I'm able to get very excited about games. I was almost crying over the announcement of a Halo remake. (OK, not really, but it made me happy).

Also, it turns out Jim was completely right about the Kinect games no-one cares about.

[sub]Fable Kinect, Star Wars Kinect, Disneyland Kinect, Kinect Sports, Kinect Dancing, Minecraft Kinect, Kinect Painting, Better Kinect Avatars... Gears of War Kinect, Kinect Pinball, Shout-at-people-over-Xbox-Live Kinect, Kinect Dwarf Fortress...[/sub]
 

Aprilgold

New member
Apr 1, 2011
1,995
0
0
I can't help but not read Jim's opions in this. Its not that I don't like reading, its just he plays himself as a complete joke who shouldn't be taken seriously. Its like if you had a good friend who was always messing with you and only you but always went to the who "I was joking." Excuse, thats praticually what Jim is to me at this point, a funny friend who jokes more then he should, but then tries to be taken seriously out of the blue, its hard to read or watch him without laughing in hopes that he is joking or if hes being straight up.

Oh, sorry, yes E3. I agree with yahtzee on many things and E3 is one of them, but also see what the Extra Credits Writer had as well [why can I never remember his name.] on both that its usually only good as something slightly surprising and a " Oh I didn't know that." moment, and probably the exclusiveness to it is more of a press event for people to shoot games at journalists, then to gamers, instead of going straight to gamers.

I forgot said:
"I expect Nintendo to continue pulling this massive, multi-billion-dollar practical joke it's been playing for the last few years. "Casual gaming and motion controls are the future," it declared."
No, that's what you declared.
""Look, we're doing it too, look!" cried Sony and Microsoft desperately. "LOL J/K," went Nintendo. "Here's some overbloated hardware paid for by all the shitheads and their money.""
Once again, this is what you declared. Yahtzee has such a warped perspective of Nintendo and the game industry.
"Anyone who buys them is a traitor to us all."
What else does this deserve besides a straight up, go fuck yourself?
1st line: A ton of people, journalists and some Execs said it was the future. So not only Yahtzee isn't the only one that declared it.
2nd: Isn't his wharped perspective what makes him entertaining? And the fact that nintendo THEM SELVES stand by their motion control decision then rip it from their new console isn't exactly good for them, including they themselves said it was the future.
3rd: It could be a straight F u, but then again it could be worse then that.
My question: how long do you think motion controls will last? Seriously, how many more consoles do you think it will last?
still, your comment did make me think of why I started hating sony and microsoft a little bit more on the inside.

Oh, E3, my own opinion on the subject could be said straightly as this, its not worth it, and is only one long, boring speech, same speech at everywhere but slightly changed.
 

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
3,847
0
0
Zaverexus said:
I love that they both ignore Sterling
Did you read the same article I did? They all "ignored" each other. Jim ignored James and Yahtzee, James ignored Jim and Yahtzee, and Yahtzee ignored James and Jim. This was less a discussion and more three interviews put together into the same article.
 

firetamer13

New member
Jun 8, 2010
29
0
0
While MovieBob has been pretty disappointing lately I have to say I was pretty horrified that they put Jim there instead. Thankfully I was mistaken and found myself pretty much agreeing with what he said, and to be honest, MovieBob would have just raved about Nintendo on top of a less thought out version of what Jim said anyway. Though I can definitely see Yahtzee's point, it doesn't usually pay to get worked up over what happens at E3, though his delivery was a little dry and cynical. So yeah, good episode.
 

I forgot

New member
Jul 7, 2010
164
0
0
Aprilgold said:
I can't help but not read Jim's opions in this. Its not that I don't like reading, its just he plays himself as a complete joke who shouldn't be taken seriously. Its like if you had a good friend who was always messing with you and only you but always went to the who "I was joking." Excuse, thats praticually what Jim is to me at this point, a funny friend who jokes more then he should, but then tries to be taken seriously out of the blue, its hard to read or watch him without laughing in hopes that he is joking or if hes being straight up.

Oh, sorry, yes E3. I agree with yahtzee on many things and E3 is one of them, but also see what the Extra Credits Writer had as well [why can I never remember his name.] on both that its usually only good as something slightly surprising and a " Oh I didn't know that." moment, and probably the exclusiveness to it is more of a press event for people to shoot games at journalists, then to gamers, instead of going straight to gamers.

I forgot said:
"I expect Nintendo to continue pulling this massive, multi-billion-dollar practical joke it's been playing for the last few years. "Casual gaming and motion controls are the future," it declared."
No, that's what you declared.
""Look, we're doing it too, look!" cried Sony and Microsoft desperately. "LOL J/K," went Nintendo. "Here's some overbloated hardware paid for by all the shitheads and their money.""
Once again, this is what you declared. Yahtzee has such a warped perspective of Nintendo and the game industry.
"Anyone who buys them is a traitor to us all."
What else does this deserve besides a straight up, go fuck yourself?
1st line: A ton of people, journalists and some Execs said it was the future. So not only Yahtzee isn't the only one that declared it.
2nd: Isn't his wharped perspective what makes him entertaining? And the fact that nintendo THEM SELVES stand by their motion control decision then rip it from their new console isn't exactly good for them, including they themselves said it was the future.
3rd: It could be a straight F u, but then again it could be worse then that.
My question: how long do you think motion controls will last? Seriously, how many more consoles do you think it will last?
still, your comment did make me think of why I started hating sony and microsoft a little bit more on the inside.

On, E3, my own opinion on the subject could be said straightly as this, its not worth it, and is only one long, boring speech, same speech at everywhere but slightly changed.
On the 1st point) I was actually making a point that Yahtzee was only putting words in Nintendo's mouth. It had nothing to do with what journalists or execs say.

On the 2nd point) No, it doesn't. He's only entertaining when he's being reasonable and when his jokes aren't abstract convoluted metaphors that just yell "trying too hard" (which is very few times). Also, there's no proof that Nintendo ripped motion controls from the new console. We don't have any hard facts about it.

Your question: I think it will last for the rest of gaming unless the matrix replaces it. The problem is most 3rd party developers have been retarded and made swinging activate what's essentially a binary function. To figure out it's possiblities, think of a mouse but with an added Z-axis, the ability to record it's orientation and it's acceleration on all 3 axis. You can do alot with that.
 

Harbinger_

New member
Jan 8, 2009
1,050
0
0
Sorry but as soon as I found out that Jim was involved in this I stopped reading.

Then I went and read everything but what he said.
 

The Random One

New member
May 29, 2008
3,310
0
0
Finally, something Jim wrote that I can read without rolling my eyes so hard my ophtalmologist starts gritting his teeth.

Yeah, the 'is it worth it?' question is pretty much at the heart of any sort of marketing campaign that goes further than 'buy two get one free!' It's impossible to get some sort of hard value on things like goodwill and consumer loyalty. In the end, marketers are pretty much just eyeballing it. So asking that question in relation to E3 is kind of like asking 'is there an absolute definition for good and evil, or are they relative concepts?' when talking about Fallout 3's karma meter. The hole is way further down.

I also agree with James (wow, I'm agreeing with everyone I usually don't like today) that E3 is not so much a display of the industry as it is a bunch of salespeople and people who are not salespeople trying to act like salespeople. You can see that everyone there tries to stick to a script and any deviance is met with, at best, awkwardness. You can't have a real conversation about games at E3. I don't think it's worth it, if you're going to do a trade show call it so.

Also, I follow Xbox Live's twitter feed, and they reported live on Microsoft's show, and essentially every announcement can be summed up as 'Big Xbox Franchise's next installment will have Kinect support'. As if I could care less.
I forgot said:
What else does this deserve besides a straight up, go fuck yourself?
It's almost as if Yahtzee is not being entirely truthful in this account for the sake of comedy, isn't it? But such a thing could never happen. GO FUCK YOURSELF YAHTZEE, YOU SERIOUS PERSON WITHOUT A SENSE OF HUMOUR.
 

rsvp42

New member
Jan 15, 2010
897
0
0
I actually agree with Jim. I think E3 fills a need in the industry. Even if the powers that be suddenly decided to fold their arms and refuse to do it, the press would just find their way to another show. Soon PAX would become the showy spectacle that James and Yahtzee are denouncing. Or some other show. If not E3, it'll just be something else, so why not have something that we recognize? Do we really need another PAX-like show when we already have PAX? Why are we even questioning E3? It's not like it's doing any harm to the industry, at least not since it became press and industry only.

I get that the Escapist likes to ask the tough questions sometimes, but this one felt a little half-hearted. Like they thought "well we can't all just jump on the bandwagon, right? Gotta appeal to the hipster demographic." /shrug

Barring all that, what do you wish would be there but isn't going to be?

James Portnow: People who buy games...
I've been all around the Convention Center the past couple days and the people I see wearing the badges are not a bunch of stuffy reporters (although there are some of those). They look like my gamer friends, like yours. The people who work in games are the sort of people that play games too. They're the same bright-eyed geeks and nerds that we're all proud to be and E3 is still a great event for gamers in that sense. Obviously an event like PAX is way more consumer-oriented because of its attendance policies, but I don't think that in any way discounts what E3 is for both the industry and its fans.
 

bootz

New member
Feb 28, 2011
366
0
0
I think E3 is horrible. It's just a way to gain attention. You can get most of the trailers online.
They just announce the same games every year. Seriously what the point of hyping any EA sports. Its the same game as before. it would be a bigger suprise if they go "No more madden"

It's all sequels.

Most of the original games won't even see the light of day. Whats the point of getting hyped over things that arent going to happen.