Is EA's Origin any better now from a privacy POV - Not an 'it's spyware' thread...

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
So Origin has been with us for a while now, but I have refused to use it or buy any EA games that force you to use it.

My main problem from the start, is that the software has a scan around your computer and compiles a list of what software you have installed and what hardware you have on your machine. It then uploads all of this information to EA. I did not go in for the idea that the software is 'spyware' like others.

I use Steam and Steam does the same scanning. The difference and thing that stops me using Origin is that the upload of the data about your PC is mandatory. With Steam the data only get's uploaded if you agree to take part in the hardware and software survey's.

It maybe only a very small difference, but for me it was over the line.

After reading around over the last month I saw that EA have changed the EULA for Origin to make it 'acceptable'. Also people mentioned that you can now opt out of this collection. I checked the EULA but there is no change to the need automatically supply EA with whatever they want to know about the system you are running the game on.

So anyway has any of this improved now, or is it still the same as it was at launch for the above?

Note: Not interested in a discussion about how EA is not that bad and Facebook and Google are worse for privacy. It is not the same thing. You exercise control of what you share via Facebook, a control removed as a price of admission for any games using Origin. Also Google's attempts at tracking you across the internet are very easy to block.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
kiri2tsubasa said:
It is a lot better because you can opt out of the hardware surveys which at first was always opt in. Other then that it is pretty much the same as steam, and has been for a while.
Only the hardware survey, not the software one as well? If it does not allow you to opt out of both it is not quite the same as the steam for the thing I am interested in. Also if you could explain how you perform the opt out it would be much appreciated as Google is not helping....