Is game of thrones a bit shit?

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Personally, I'd probably be more into the series (books or show) if I wasn't so fucking sick to death of grim-dark fantasy. I grew out of that in the late 90's, early aughts. (thanks in no small part to a friends insistence that I read one book after another)

It might also help if I wasn't so into hard science fiction lately. I 'squee' at the thought of rereading some classic Asimov, or Herbert, or Vinge, or K. Dick. I cringe when I look at my R.R. Martin novels.

I 'unno. Grim-dark fantasy, to me, is like zombie stories to others on this forum. It's the big, popular thing now, but I've been over it for years.

Ugh. Makes me sound like such a hipster...

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Vigormortis said:
Personally, I'd probably be more into the series (books or show) if I wasn't so fucking sick to death of grim-dark fantasy. I grew out of that in the late 90's, early aughts. (thanks in no small part to a friends insistence that I read one book after another)

It might also help if I wasn't so into hard science fiction lately. I 'squee' at the thought of rereading some classic Asimov, or Herbert, or Vinge, or K. Dick. I cringe when I look at my R.R. Martin novels.

I 'unno. Grim-dark fantasy, to me, is like zombie stories to others on this forum. It's the big, popular thing now, but I've been over it for years.

Ugh. Makes me sound like such a hipster...
Actually this isn't Dark Fantasy, I doubt when done correctly they could get a Dark Fantasy show on regular TV or even HBO. Properly speaking it's "low fantasy". Low fantasy is the opposite of High fantasy. In High Fantasy you usually have clearly defined good and evil sides, and very colorful, bigger than life heroes on either side. The quintessential work of high fantasy to most people is probably "Lord Of The Rings" where while the hobbits were fairly humble and the action scenes were not well described or written you literally had dudes killing a hundred people in a single battle (looking at Gimli and Legolas and their contest at Helm's Deep), and warring demi-gods (the wizards are pretty much semi-divine beings, as was Balrog... heck even Shelob was a semi-divine being, being a child of Ungoliant which is pretty much The Devil to Eru's God) when you read into what people were slinging around in this thing conceptually it's pretty crazy, I mean even the hobbits were carrying around legendary enchanted weapons for the most part. In low fantasy there is very little magic and things are handled a lot more realistically, along what the capabilities and ambitions of real people would be, when magic shows up it's usually rare and incredibly powerful. In a low fantasy setting a spectacular fighter might be able to handle a couple of professional badasses, as opposed to say drop a hundred people, one after another, in a battle without breaking a sweat. "A Game Of Thrones" is very much low fantasy, we have wizards, and dragons, and undead, all the stables of fantasy, but they are very rare and tend to only get involved in very specific capacities, there will probably be an epic supernatural climax since it's still fantasy, but at the end of the day it's all about people with the general capabilities of actual people (albeit very skilled ones in many cases), so that when something fantastic or superhuman happens it really stands out. Jaime Lannister is perhaps the best fighter in his world (or was at his peak) but even he wouldn't be able to kill as many people as Gimli did at Helm's Deep, never mind so casually he can do it in a goofy contest with another equally skilled killing machine that has his back. *DARK* fantasy tends to be deeply supernatural in it's nature and typically works under the premise that for all intents and purposes the "bad guys" won long ago, or if they didn't the world was just always totally doomed and screwed up, if the world itself isn't that oppressive it might as well be for the purposes of the story being told. Dark Fantasy walks hand in hand with horror but get's it's own mention because usually your dealing with a protagonist as bad as the rest of the setting, or some singular set of events that might change things, or give a specific person a relief from the gloom and oppression. The various "Cthulhu Mythos" stories can be considered "Dark Fantasy" in many cases as opposed to horror, depending on who writes them, people like Robert E Howard (Conan) put their pen to them along with Lovecraft himself and different people had different styles which is why they were classified as "Weird Tales" for a long time as opposed to "horror" since really many of them are just that... very dark and strange, rather than being overly horrific. Perhaps the modern Grandmaster of "Dark Fantasy" is Michael Moorcock (love him or hate him) whose work inspired things like Warhammer directly. He'd tell stories set in fantastic, oftentimes surreal, worlds featuring a protagonist punished for the crime of following his conscience and falling in love, and doomed on such a metaphysical level that throughout his incarnations there was little hope of him ever having a happy ending, no matter how many people he saved, how many wrongs he righted, the Eternal Champion is doomed, and woe be it that his conscience ever causes him to again go
against the plans of his cosmic jailers... simply put while "The White Walkers" are a huge threat in Game Of Thrones they have apparently been beaten before, and the real danger seems less to be their immense power than the fact that nobody wants to acknowledge them and put their squabbles aside. I have no doubts that a united Westros would drink their milkshake again (so to speak) the real question being whether people will get their crap together in time. The world is mostly just very human in the way it's grim, as opposed to truly dark, doomed, and haunted. Even if The White Walkers kill everyone it would largely be because of the failings of man, which puts it firmly into low fantasy territory. Now if this was chronicling the last few months before Cthulhu rises to devour everyone and the futile panicking of people falling apart after all attempts to avert it failed, that would be more along the lines of Dark Fantasy, even if some unlikely hero winds up pulling off an 11th hour save... the premise is everyone just being totally screwed and entirely without hope. Low fantasy has angst, Dark fantasy has angst, but doubles down on it with a huge helping of Nihlism.

Tilly

Mar 8, 2015
Assuming I agreed with all of your complaints about the show, not a single one of them bothers me!

Therumancer said:
Actually this isn't Dark Fantasy, I doubt when done correctly they could get a Dark Fantasy show on regular TV or even HBO. Properly speaking it's "low fantasy". Low fantasy is the opposite of High fantasy. In High Fantasy you usually have clearly defined good and evil sides, and very colorful, bigger than life heroes on either side. The quintessential work of high fantasy to most people is probably "Lord Of The Rings" where while the hobbits were fairly humble and the action scenes were not well described or written you literally had dudes killing a hundred people in a single battle (looking at Gimli and Legolas and their contest at Helm's Deep)
Hang on, I thought the definition of high fantasy VS low fantasy was supposed to be about whether the entire world was fictional/fantastical or not. In that Lord of the Rings counts as high fantasy because it's completely plucked from his imagination but Harry Potter isn't because it's just a tweaked version of our own reality.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Therumancer said:
Firstly: Whoa...wall of text. The enter key doesn't bite, I promise.

Secondly: I wasn't calling it "Dark Fantasy". I was calling it grim-dark. As in, a dark, gritty, and edgy take on fantasy.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/grimdark

And really, I find it hard to believe anyone would argue that GoT isn't that. The very foundation of the series is predicated on gruesome murder and death, with the vast majority of characters being completely shitty people to one another.

I feel you read WAY more into my post that I'd actually typed. And more over, I feel you have almost completely misinterpreted what I was implying.

Thank you for the interesting insight into the intricacies of fantasy sub-genres, but it doesn't really apply to what I was saying.

Tilly said:
Hang on, I thought the definition of high fantasy VS low fantasy was supposed to be about whether the entire world was fictional/fantastical or not. In that Lord of the Rings counts as high fantasy because it's completely plucked from his imagination but Harry Potter isn't because it's just a tweaked version of our own reality.
It is. Or, more simply, low fantasy tends to take place in an alternate version of our world or reality, whereas high fantasy tends to take place in entirely different or separate worlds or realities from our own.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
FirstNameLastName said:
J Tyran said:
Innocent Flower said:
Now.Now including special-ops Jamie lanister and Bron.
I'm cool with that though, more
Bron
is a good thing and I laughed at the "There's your one, he should be slow enough now" line as well.
More Bron is definitely welcome, but their mission to Dorne - unless some major plot twist comes along to explain it - is pretty stupid. It makes so little sense that they've tried weakly to lampshade how absurd it is.
I would speculate it's so they can bring the
Sand Snakes
front and centre against characters we already know rather than them doing nothing in particular aside the Balon Swann arc which didn't really do much anyway (has he even been in it as a named character that actually does anything in the TV series?).

Innocent Flower

Oct 8, 2012
Oi Oi, Balon swann was important, just written poorly.. (too many perspectives... and feast for crows was by far the worst book. Dance is much better)

The books aren't dark and gritty. They are the great paradox of 'realism fantasy'. in which, although some of the elements are fantastic, character decisions are based on logic and fact rather than destiny or whatever. You could really remove every single fantasy element and the plot would still be there for some kind of psuedo history. No prophecies made in the series have so far been important, even john snow is fitting outside the hero's journey. The only character that doesn't quite fit into this non magic story is bran. But fuck bran. Nobody liked him in either book, and he's really not important.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Innocent Flower said:
...The only character that doesn't quite fit into this non magic story is bran. But fuck bran. Nobody liked him in either book, and he's really not important.
Actually, I found Bran's chapters to be the most interesting parts of ADWD, mostly because he seemed to be the only character who had anything to do with the overarching story with the Others. In pretty much every other book, I found him the most tedious character and would dread turning the page to see his name at the top. Due to watching the show before reading the books, I already knew most of what would happen to him and knew about the warg aspects, so it was a slow drip feeding of information without any intrigue.

Innocent Flower

Oct 8, 2012
FirstNameLastName said:
Innocent Flower said:
...The only character that doesn't quite fit into this non magic story is bran. But fuck bran. Nobody liked him in either book, and he's really not important.
Actually, I found Bran's chapters to be the most interesting parts of ADWD, mostly because he seemed to be the only character who had anything to do with the overarching story with the Others. In pretty much every other book, I found him the most tedious character and would dread turning the page to see his name at the top. Due to watching the show before reading the books, I already knew most of what would happen to him and knew about the warg aspects, so it was a slow drip feeding of information without any intrigue.
The overarching story with the others is that westeros fucks itself over so much that they're not really going to be ready for them. The war of five kings burnt most of the food in the lowlands and there's much less soldiers around. Bran really took no part in that.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Innocent Flower said:
FirstNameLastName said:
Innocent Flower said:
The overarching story with the others is that westeros fucks itself over so much that they're not really going to be ready for them. The war of five kings burnt most of the food in the lowlands and there's much less soldiers around. Bran really took no part in that.
True, but the business with the Others still interests me.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to necro a bit here, but I never replied because I've been away for a few days and I feel like I've made some points which perhaps need explaining.

Innocent Flower said:
She isn't perfect in the books, but nor is she ridiculously incompetent and always wrong. you should also note that it doesn't make sense in the tv series to put her in charge of anything, much less cite her as competent.
True, but that's a point worth making I think. She's a queen, and therefore noone gets a choice about whether she's in charge.

BloatedGuppy said:
I'm curious, though, what it is that you find overly traditional about the books?
Firstly, I should stress that I'm not a passive reader. I went in to both the book and the show actively looking for subversive things, and in both cases I found a lot of them. To expand on my point above, I feel like Martin's approach to monarchy is much, much less politically complacent than a lot of people who simply cribbed Tolkien without seriously considering the views which informed it. I liked that.. in fact there are a lot of things I liked in both, which is why I'm posting here and not rolling my eyes at another GoT thread.

However, I think there are certain things you probably can't get away from without radically altering fantasy (or perhaps trying to step outside of fantasy as a tradition and genre). For one, there's a kind of implicit conservatism which I find really grating, because ultimately.. and it's really weird how science fiction differs in this regard.. fantasy is almost never actually about anything. There's this genre expectation of a fixed line between reality and fantasy which seems to prevent fantasy from ever really making a point. ASOIAF has lots of cool characters, and they go around in a cool world and dick each other over in cool ways, but that world exists for the sake of existing, it exists because it is cool. It isn't really a reflection or a commentary, it is simply an exercise in word-building. World building, in my opinion, has become a very dangerous preoccupation of the fantasy genre to the point that it's eclipsed everything else, and we can talk about how that unfetters the imagination but ultimately.. all it means that everything comes down to the rule of cool. Cool people doing cool stuff in cool worlds that don't actually have any relevance to anything outside of themselves.

I suspect the problem is that fantasy as a genre mostly grew out of the study of mythology and philology. The structure of the academic study of mythology at the time of Tolkien is essentially a bunch of Christians talking about how stupid other people's beliefs are and imposing a bunch of weird humanist assumptions onto the often very anti-humanist literature of non-Christian cultures. The fact that Joseph Campbell's ideas were so readily seized upon by fantasy authors as soon as they came along is not an accident at all, I don't think. The patronizing idea of a separation between truth and mythology (or between "reality" and "fantasy") is kind of inherent to fantasy, that weird pretense of getting inside the head of someone from a different time, place or world, of being able to impose order onto what they thought or believed through the philological method. That to me is the disreputable legacy of genre fantasy, and it's the thing I can't unsee when I try to read anything.

Mervyn Peake is always my prototypical example of a fantasy author I actually liked, and I seem to be part of a declining school of thought who rates him over Tolkien and wishes his legacy was more evident. I like him, basically, because there's not a trace of philology in his work. It's contrived and ridiculous, but it's also rich and full of thematic meaning and social commentary. I've encountered very few fantasy novels which meet that standard, in my eyes.

BloatedGuppy said:
They could have as easily given Theon scenes with a Stark, or crafted a three dimensional character in Ros's place.
But that wouldn't necessarily have worked.

I don't claim to understand the differences between writing for television and writing a novel, in fact I'm not entirely sure they are as big as some people claim, but I do understand the concept and need for an audience surrogate. The books are all in POV, so yes. If GRRM had wanted to characterize Theon (which in my opinion would have been a good idea) all he'd have to do is have one of the Stark POV characters talk to Theon. In a TV show, the audience is external to all the characters. They don't know them, they don't care about them and they can't just be given an info dump about what a character is feeling to make them care. That's a pretty major difference which has to be written around.

BloatedGuppy said:
Small ways?
The fact that brown people are apparently terribly uncivilized does not make the mission to civilize them unheroic, it merely reinforces the difficulties of doing so. Again, this is the road of trials, the trials can be very difficult and the hero may even fail some, but as long as the hero ultimately emerges to face the apotheosis at the end, as long as the trials ultimately serve to make the hero emerge, then the basic structure of the heroes journey is unchallenged.

What's far more challenging, and the direction the show seems to be hinting it, at is to pull a Heart of Darkness and to call into question the rationality of the "white man's burden" itself. I personally hope they run with that.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
When will people figure out that inconsistency/"dumb" is not a be-all-end-all indicator of quality?

"Beyond Atlantis" is off it's flipping rocker, makes literally zero sense even through any of its own set-up, spends its entire playtime upending itself in increasingly spectacular and terrible ways, and ends with a freaking Biblical allegory for no reason or point. It's the worst thing ever in terms of dumbness and inconsistency.

But who really gives a shit? It's so spectacular that it occupies a spot on my Top Ten Games Evar list.

At the end of the day, people are enthralled and entertained by Game of Thrones, and actively anticipate each new episode as well as pay ludicrous amounts of money for each season on disk, so no, I don't think we can adequately relegate it to the status of "a bit shit".

Being Pissed Off About Popular Things: Still overly popular. Ironically enough.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
The way I see it is:
Yes... there are many better series, with better writing and characters in fantasy settings... Ones that are more exciting, and don't have 'random death desensitisation' where you eventually avoid growing attached to characters in case they die.

However,

These other series are also not popular. They do not attract the far reaching audiences that HBO achieved by televising the GoT series. And that means that whilst I do enjoy reading them, I also spend time reading and watching GoT so I can enjoy the social side of discussing it at work and with friends.

I have recently started a new job (I am forces, so am moved around every now and again) and it's good to have a common ground in a subject I am more comfortable with. My office is full of Fast Jet pilots, so there isn't much common ground from the offset! I am yet to find someone in my new job who reads things like The Painted Man and Mistborn, and am not yet in a position to get people to start!

So yeah... not the best. But popularity subsides it's flaws.

kuolonen

Nov 19, 2009
Right. Disclaimer: I am a huge fan of the books. So I am most likely biased.

But.
The show pretty much lost me after the forced conflict of Aryas guardian at the end of season 4. Up until that show was pretty golden, even worst parts were just good. Now? Season 5 is utterly bonkers. Seeing episode 6 just now, I have officially given up any hope. Small changes to plot are one thing. This thing is now pretty much an alternative history. Why the heck they even did red wedding if they go this far, might as well have had Rob win the war.

Besides being different from books, are the changes bad? No idea. All I know it all feels warped and dumb as hell, but that probably is the book fan in me talking. Also remember reading somewhere that producers made some of the recent changes with idea that "we need to keep shocking people!" in mind, which honestly would explain a lot of stuff from recent episodes...

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
I gave up on GoT some time ago. I started watching it due to hype and RL peer pressure but when that relaxed I stopped, and was thankful to do so.

To me it comes across as mature by teenage standards. A lot of death, killing, swear words and sex.. because that is what teenagers think is mature. The entire show comes across as a school playground full of teenagers.

ZiggyE

Nov 13, 2010
It's not "a bit shit", it's been consistently shit for awhile. S2, S4 and S5 have all been pretty bad.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Tilly said:
Therumancer said:
Actually this isn't Dark Fantasy, I doubt when done correctly they could get a Dark Fantasy show on regular TV or even HBO. Properly speaking it's "low fantasy". Low fantasy is the opposite of High fantasy. In High Fantasy you usually have clearly defined good and evil sides, and very colorful, bigger than life heroes on either side. The quintessential work of high fantasy to most people is probably "Lord Of The Rings" where while the hobbits were fairly humble and the action scenes were not well described or written you literally had dudes killing a hundred people in a single battle (looking at Gimli and Legolas and their contest at Helm's Deep)
Hey? I've never heard that, my understanding has always been more or less what Therumancer wrote. Low fantasy is when you tone down the magic and monsters and get rid of obvious markers for good and evil (which are often tied to magic anyway).

Now, it might be true that many low fantasy stories are set in the real world (ish), often in the Medieval period (or in the author's understanding of it), there's no reason why it should be. Presumably this is because if you were to take most of the magic and good vs evil from, say, Lord of the Rings, you'd be mostly left with Medieval ish Europe anyway.

I understand that Harry Potter is more Urban Fantasy, but that's a term that's not caught on that much.

Azure23

Nov 5, 2012
I've been saying the show is a bit shit since the beginning of season 3. It's gotten to the point where it's unwatchable now, as in I literally don't watch it anymore.

It was a combination of butchered plot lines, character misinterpretations, terrible original characters, and more trivialized, sexualised rape than you can shake a bottle of brain bleach at.

Most of my criticisms can be summed up by this list: http://gotgifsandmusings.tumblr.com/post/115991793402/unabashed-book-snobbery-gots-10-worst

Yeah, it's Tumblr. It's a blogging platform with every kind of content under the sun. Deal with it.

Edit: I also think it's very telling of the show runners viewpoint that they named their show "A Game of Thrones" rather than the series's title, "a song of ice and fire." Martin has indicated that he chose that name for the first book to illustrate the narrow viewpoint of the nobles who fought endlessly with each other while ignoring outside considerations/threats.

Edit 2: is there a general consensus in the fantasy community about Glenn Cook? I've always rather enjoyed the Black Company series and would be curious to hear the opinions if anyone else who's read them.