Is Google Planning To Buy Valve?

Nathan Meunier

Nov 19, 2007
Is Google Planning To Buy Valve?

Shhhh. Do you hear that? What a peculiar sound. It's as if a million dollar signs cried out in terror. The internet is abuzz today of a potential upcoming buyout of Valve by Google. It's rumored such an announcement may come at any time this week.

This morning, The Inquirer [http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/09/17/google-valve] reports "well placed sources" have informed them Google will be purchasing Valve "any second now." Founded in 1996, Valve is responsible for developing gaming series hits including Half-Life, Portal, Team Fortress, Counterstrike, among others.

Google's rumored interest in the developer isn't entirely clear, but one might venture an obvious guess the successful Steam distribution channel is among the big draws of a potential buyout. Especially, considering the search engine giant recently launched Lively [http://www.lively.com], a new, avatar-based embeddable social network and virtual world that allows the use of avatars linked to Google accounts. Going into games is the next logical step.

Valve's response to the rumor: that it's a rumor. [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/09/17/google-to-buy-valve/]

Skrapt

May 6, 2008
I'm in two parts, firstly I'd like Valve to remain independant as they've had no trouble remaining so and have done very well for themselves in the process. On the other hand Google has a frankly scary penchant for getting whatever it releases/improves/buys pretty damn good.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
And so one internet giant is trying to expand it's power over another.

With Microsoft holding a decent portion of the gaming community and trying to force a merger with Yahoo to infringe on Google territory, it was only a matter of time until Google struck back.

memejoey

Aug 20, 2008
"Well placed sources" / "A reliable source" / "an unnamed source"

=

"We made this up:"

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
thank god its not true, this would be the biggest failure in the history of gameing, valve the most awesum games dev team ever being bought out by...Google *shudders*

TheBadass

Aug 27, 2008
Angron post=7.71763.736146 said:
thank god its not true, this would be the biggest failure in the history of gameing, valve the most awesum games dev team ever being bought out by...Google *shudders*
What's wrong with Google? Everything they touch seems to turn to profit and awesome.

Samah

Jul 7, 2008
Short answer, no.
Long answer, Google have as much chance in that venture as if they tried to buy out Blizzard; ie. none.

[Gavo]

Jun 29, 2008
Probably fake.
Although, it would make sense, then they could compete with Microsoft.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
Buy? No. A partnership, to apply Google search to Steam and meld Steam into Google's hierarchy? Fine. But Valve, Source, and their various franchises stay independent.

Chocolate Source

Jul 17, 2008
In other news, 'reliable sources' report seeing Hilary Clinton egg Sarah Palin's house in the early hours of this morning screaming "it was MY DREAM!!! MY DREAM!!! MINEEEEEEEEE!". Witnesses report Hilary drinking heavily during the incident until Palin shot her.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Hope not. I'd like Valve to stay like it is, and don't think that being bought out would be the best idea for the consumer.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Fire Daemon post=7.71763.737864 said:
Seems unlikely that Google will buy Valve. Why would they have any interest in games?
Google = Money hungry giant?

Valve = Good source of income.

It does seem unlikely that they would, but it would make sense for them. They're trying to get something that makes millions of dollars.