Is Google Planning To Buy Valve?

TheMuffinMan

Jan 30, 2009
Ugh... If history has taught us anything it's that having one giant monopoly will inexorably lead all the little guys to bankruptcy- *cough* Wal-mart *cough*

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
Valve plus Google could end up being a winning combo. Think about it... with Google's advertising power Valve games could be a little more well-known, which they deserve to be. And then if that happens, more developers start following the Valve model and games in general will move closer to following the Half-Life model rather than the Halo model. Not to mention... think about what Valve could do with Google's bazillions.

I'm not the biggest Half-Life fan ever, but I think that in the long run this could be good for the gaming industry.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
MosDes said:
TheBadass said:
What's wrong with Google? Everything they touch seems to turn to profit and awesome.
YouTube and censorship... 'Nuff said.
No I don't believe it is :p.

Unless you are blaming Google for YouTube, the censorship I've seen Google do has been basically because of outside sources threatening them.

But again I'll let you inform me so I don't go guessing what you meant.

Google as far as I can tell is a special exception to "The larger a company gets the shittier it gets" rule.

I don't see how meshing two of my favorite companies would create crap. But that's mainly because never in the history of my life have two companies I liked merged. It's usually one I like and another I wish had been aborted.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
I somehow doubt this would happen. Google is already stretched pretty in terms of business endeavors at this point, and with the way the economy is going I suspect they'd be afraid of extending another tendril, even into an already successful business. And Valve doesn't need to sell itself for funds right now. Although I wouldn't put the idea of a partnership or something between the two out of the question right off the bat.

MercFox1

Jun 19, 2008
SmugFrog said:
I think someone at Google just wants to see Episode 3 released.
If Google could do everything as good as Valve does their games; Google Video would have annihilated Youtube.

Thank god this is false. And old, too. Who necro'ed this thread?

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
i wish i owned steam

i hated it 5 years ago... but now i consider it the pinnacle of digital distribution and love how its giving copy protection the run-around.

MosDes

Jul 16, 2008
theultimateend said:
Unless you are blaming Google for YouTube, the censorship I've seen Google do has been basically because of outside sources threatening them.
I was really meaning the removal of extra material deemed "inappropriate" by some members of YouTube/Google by simply pressing the "report" button. Even if only one user disagrees with the content, some people have had their accounts deactivated or their IP ranges blocked.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
MosDes said:
theultimateend said:
I was really meaning the removal of extra material deemed "inappropriate" by some members of YouTube/Google by simply pressing the "report" button. Even if only one user disagrees with the content, some people have had their accounts deactivated or their IP ranges blocked.
Wow! Never heard of that :).

In other news.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/specials/scoutslogging/397864_loggingmain29.html

Boyscouts are destroying America.

Azeban

Sep 27, 2008
Microsoft Warriors? Are they like Planeteers?

DRM!

Lack of stability!

Massive system requirements!

Money!

Heart!

By your powers combined, I am Windows Vista!

Azeban

Sep 27, 2008
Lord_Ascendant said:
Google must die!
MICROSOFT WARRIORS ASSEMBLE!!!!!!!!!
Windows Vista, he's our hero
Gonna take productivity down to zero

He's our powers magnified
And he's fighting on the dollar's side

Windows Vista, he's our hero
Gonna take your patience down to zero

Gonna help him put asunder
Bad guys who don't have the right drivers

"You'll pay for this Windows Vista!"

We're the Microteers
You can be one too
'Cause saving our money is the thing to do!

Linux and OSX is not the way
Hear what Windows Vista has to say!

"Your money is mine! Suckers!"

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
I never understood this. How can one company simply "buy" another company?

"Hey, we've got enough money, you're ours now, and you can't do anything about it."?