Is Half life 3 (or EP3) is only Vaporware That will never release?

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Hello,

so my friends and fellow gamers. recently i was just thinking when i saw the list of vaporware as most of them were announced at last year E3 that finally releasing.

Duke Nukem Forever: Biggest vaporware of all time, been in development since 15 years but finally released in 2011 and failed.

The last Guardian: Was announced at 2009 then no news till last year E3 and finally coming out soon.

Final fantasy 7 remake: Has been FF fans dream since years that finally announced last year E3.

Doom 4: Recently released but was in development hell as game was first announced quake con 2008, cancelled, reboot again and finally came out.

Shenmue 3: Has been vaporware since last decade, no news and finally announced last year e3 as kickstarter project.

there can be more.

So Half life 3 is all left. this is the game that we will never seen the light. it will never coming out. recently a level designer and lead writer of Half life departed from valve. that means valve gave up Half life. the series is dead.

so what do you think? is it only vaporware game that will never going to released?

discuss

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
It's not even vaporware. Something needs to be ANNOUNCED in order for it to be vaporware. HL3 was never officially announced. It's not vaporware. It's nothing.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
B-Cell said:
recently a level designer and lead writer of Half life departed from valve. that means valve gave up Half life.
It never took it up to begin with.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
B-Cell said:
recently a level designer and lead writer of Half life departed from valve. that means valve gave up Half life. the series is dead.
It was dead years ago, cause it never existed and it's been refusing to exist. So much so that it just became a bunch of memes and nothing more

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
So little faith on display in this thread. It's coming.

HybridChangeling

Dec 13, 2015
I thought I saw "Vaporwave" and rushed to this thread with all my Simpsonswave bookmarks.

Anyway, no it's not. It's not something that exists, and I doubt it ever will. It was something idealized from a dead episodic series that hasn't even been continued.

The main problem is that it's been too long. Every single interesting thing about the series has been copied, redone, done slightly better or worse, or is now just a normal addition to any FPS game. It's been so long that making a new episode would require:
A complete rebuild of the excellent but aged Source Engine.
HD remodeling everything to today's resolution.
Bringing back all the voice actors who have worked elsewhere the past decade.
Making some new advancements in FPS tech, since everything that was "radical and innovative" has been done to death with hundreds of other FPS games.

On top of that they are content with sitting on their Steam empire, have the community update their games, and sell hundreds of thousands of weapon skins. I am not faulting them for being successful, I am just explaining what I have noticed in their trend. Even their new games were made by people who came into Valve with that express purpose, like Portal. Try to find satisfaction in what we have now. From what I have seen, other then HD remakes of Counter Strike with new names we aren't getting much else in the near future.

Apr 5, 2008
Here's another question instead. I wouldn't normally answer a question with a question, but I think in this instance it is apt. Were you Valve, would *you* make HL3?

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
*reads thread posts*

Valve may not have announced "Half-Life 3" (or "Episode 3"), but I have a hard time believing that they never at least started
production on it, then gave up for whatever reason.

But yeah, doesn't it need to be announced before we can consider it vaporware?

Chanticoblues

Apr 6, 2016
I think it's coming. Valve are notorious perfectionists and they don't like announcing anything unless it's arriving imminently.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
What made half life great were the leaps in gaming technology that astounded gamers. Valve aren't stupid, they know this and they know that better graphics or physics will not be enough to get the same "wow" factor that previous entries managed. If VR is really as good as some make out to be, and as Valve are spending so much money and time on it, i reckon it may be their next HL platform to forward gaming further yet again. A guy can dream at least. It would certainly sell the VR platform pretty fucking well.

Fhqwhgod

Apr 7, 2015
KingsGambit said:
Were you Valve, would *you* make HL3?
I'd be rolling in my cash from Steam, TF2 hats and CS:GO cosmetics. Why would I ever need to make another game?

When the account data was swapping during the Christmas sale I took a look at purchase histoies of other users and the amount of cash people put into keys & items for those 2 games is incredible.

Madmatty

Apr 5, 2016
B-Cell said:
Hello,

so my friends and fellow gamers. recently i was just thinking when i saw the list of vaporware as most of them were announced at last year E3 that finally releasing.

Duke Nukem Forever: Biggest vaporware of all time, been in development since 15 years but finally released in 2011 and failed.

The last Guardian: Was announced at 2009 then no news till last year E3 and finally coming out soon.

Final fantasy 7 remake: Has been FF fans dream since years that finally announced last year E3.

Doom 4: Recently released but was in development hell as game was first announced quake con 2008, cancelled, reboot again and finally came out.

Shenmue 3: Has been vaporware since last decade, no news and finally announced last year e3 as kickstarter project.

there can be more.

So Half life 3 is all left. this is the game that we will never seen the light. it will never coming out. recently a level designer and lead writer of Half life departed from valve. that means valve gave up Half life. the series is dead.

so what do you think? is it only vaporware game that will never going to released?

Discuss

I'm amazed the fans haven't gathered in an angry mob outside valve hq with torches and pitchforks and shotguns and tried to break the door down

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
B-Cell said:
I'm sure that it will be released if we all boycott Steam and any other Valve products until they release Half-Life 3. That won't happen, though, so...

Really, though, I'm not sure. Valve's been busy with a lot of stuff lately. Maybe once things stabilize a little they can focus on games again. I mean, since Portal 2, they've published a few games, expanded Steam to work on consoles, been busy with the business around getting a Steam console out, looked for new ways to get games onto and profit from Steam, pursue VR, pursue Linux, making a controller, releasing Source 2, and supporting Vulkan. They've been really busy, just not on the stuff we want them to be busy on.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Uhhh, Im not really sure if Half Life 3 is even viable.

The game has garnered such a following, that the expectations for the game are just insane. Unless the game is the best game that has ever been released ever, I feel like people will just be disappointed in it.

On the other side of the coin, people will be equally pissed off if the game is never released, and the Half Life series ends without a finale.

Damned if the do, damned if they don't, really.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
erttheking said:
It's not even vaporware. Something needs to be ANNOUNCED in order for it to be vaporware. HL3 was never officially announced. It's not vaporware. It's nothing.
Elvis Starburst said:
B-Cell said:
recently a level designer and lead writer of Half life departed from valve. that means valve gave up Half life. the series is dead.
It was dead years ago, cause it never existed and it's been refusing to exist. So much so that it just became a bunch of memes and nothing more
Johnny Novgorod said:
B-Cell said:
recently a level designer and lead writer of Half life departed from valve. that means valve gave up Half life.
It never took it up to begin with.
Evonisia said:
*reads thread posts*

Valve may not have announced "Half-Life 3" (or "Episode 3"), but I have a hard time believing that they never at least started
production on it, then gave up for whatever reason.

But yeah, doesn't it need to be announced before we can consider it vaporware?
I can't comment on whether the game was ever actually in active development or not, but as the recent "Half-Life 3 through a decade" video showed, Gabe was talking pretty excitedly about Episode 3 back in 2007 and 2008, and then around '09 he started dodging questions and he's been like a broken record repeating "I've got nothing to say about Episode 3" since then.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
It will probably release, but it will probably disappoint. Nothing short of GabeN phoning up God and having him come down from the sky to say he's sorry for cancer, mosquitoes, and the HL3 delay, and then hand everyone a copy of pure transcendent bliss will make it live up to the legendary expectations.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
As many have stated, vaporware is being too generous, something has to be announced and then never heard from again to be vaporware, HL3 is a rumor based on some random code in various steam related things, at this point, I doubt that Valve will ever make any original game ever again