Is Half life/Deus Ex have better legacy than Mario/Zelda?

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Interestingly, Gabe's favorite non Valve game is Super Mario 64.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/03/valves_gabe_newell_thinks_super_mario_64_is_just_swell

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Diesel- said:
but Half life was the reason how gaming experience should be. same as deus ex.
That's a pretty damn bold claim you got going there. What do you mean the Half Life way is the only way one should experience a game? All of those franchises brought something significant to the table.

As for legacy- Mario and Zelda have a much larger legacy than Half Life simply because the latter is a lot more significant in public pop culture.

Everyone knows Mario. Even those who don't vidya. Nobody knows about Half Life outside of that shitty Half Life confirmed joke and those inside the video game community.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Diesel- said:
Mario is popular among non gamers
This by default makes it have a much larger legacy than Half Life and Deus Ex could ever hope for.

and majority of things that are popular are crap in my book.
So wouldn't that meant HL is crap in your book too? Orrrr anything that is more popular than HL is crap in your books?

Horrid bias you got there pal.

if you ask any hardcore PC gamer. they will say Half life is better than Mario. while not denying mario is not good because it is.
Another enormously large assumption there. But nice little disclaimer in the end.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Traviltar said:
Trust me, if you had played Half-Life the day it came out, you wouldn't be so ignorant about this.
Traviltar said:
Man, this thread is filled with bias from people who have played neither games.
I find it quite ironic that these two comments were made back to back, considering 'rose-tinted glasses' is a form of known bias.
Traviltar said:
Were you born in 2004? Are you for real? This comment oozes with ignorance.
Sigh. I guess I should've known better than to offend this forum's sacred cow.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Smilomaniac said:
There's a very clear distinction between the type of players. Consoles have almost always and fairly consistently been a pick-up experience that you could have fun with for an intended short amount of time, while the mentioned PC games were designed with story progression in mind and something you'd sink a lot of hours into (In Deus Ex at least - Half-life was a much shorter experience in terms of campaign and replayability).

Another point is the difference between the two PC games.
While Half-life was a very good game, it was just a natural evolution through technology when you had voice acting and animation improved to the point where you could implement these things.
Deus Ex had the same but also had much richer content in terms of mechanics and multiple endings, despite being older.
These, again, cater to two different kind of people.
Maybe originally, but I don't think that applies anymore - not with the implementation of save states and whatnot. Mario, true, you could play a level, complete it, then turn the console off, but the same can be said for many RPGs in terms of gameplay style (pop in, grind a little or complete a quest, then turn off). And "turn on, turn off" just doesn't work for Zelda. If one's playing Zelda you'll ideally be playing for significant stretches of time to make progress.

Fireaxe

Sep 30, 2013
Deus Ex and Half-Life have been more influential on the way games have grown in the last 15 years or so, Zelda and Mario have been more influential at getting people into gaming.

Different types of legacies I think.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Half-Life had a huge legacy, it ruined the FPS genre for years to come and introduced some of the most annoying trends in video game storytelling that we still struggle with today. We can thank Half-Life for all those shitty "walk slowly while people talk" sequences and other "Interactive cutscene" crap. :p The game has a huge legacy, but i would argue that it mostly changed things for the worse.

But i don´t know about Deus Ex, it´s a great game (to some extend, the combat sucks pretty hard), but it really wasn´t the first of it´s kind. It´s basically just an extension of System Shock/ Ultima Underworld. And it didn´t have that big of an impact, the world wasn´t swarmed with Deus Ex clones, like how Nes was overcrowded with platformers trying to be Mario.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Traviltar said:
What I see is people completely missing the freaking point.
The question is obviously about their impact in gaming mechanics and not culture otherwise. Of course someone is going to recognize Mario instead of Gordon Freeman.
Look...
[color="{FF9900}"]Shooters today would not exist, if it wasn't for Half-Life.[/color]
Let's put it this way.
Also, technologically, Half-Life was stunning. It leaped animations of video games light-years ahead. It's physics and weapon mechanics are well known in the gaming industry to this day and not to even MENTION the way it's mod, Counter-Strike affected shooters.
This thread was pretty much done from the start as Half-life + Dues Ex having comparable legacy to even one of the two Nintendo titles is absurd. However this is a new weak point I just have to shoot.

*Fires bullet marked "Modern shooters are crap"*

It is often said granted not directly here by you, but by people who share your opinion on Half-Life, Deus-Ex, Doom, Quake as holy grails that modern shooters are crap today. From what we can assert modern games are crap because they are not like whatever internet darling you choose to like. However your statement here is that shooters today would not exist if not for Half-life...
So why are they apparently crap if they derive so much apparently from the great Half-life? If there is some other force at work that causes them to be crap "unlike" Half-life than you cannot make the claim they would not exist without Half-life. If Half-life was responsible than it was only responsible for ushering in a new age of crap.
Which is it? Is your statement a lie, or is it the terrible truth?

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Yes. After all, Half Life and Deus Ex have guns and angry robots and shit. And anyone playing games which don't have the requisite amount of graphic (for their time, at least) murder can just FUCK OFF pls.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Dragonbums said:
and majority of things that are popular are crap in my book.
So wouldn't that meant HL is crap in your book too? Orrrr anything that is more popular than HL is crap in your books?
Don't worry, you'll get used to Diesel's reasoning after a while.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
This thread...

Oh? We're actually discussing things here? I forgot I was on the 3rd page.

Mario and Zelda have an insane amount of impact. They've reshaped elements in games for years, and the entire world knows them as iconic characters.

As for DE and HL? Well... They're iconic. Yes... They've made some impact as some of the greatest games of all time, sure... But Halo: CE made a bigger impact than Half-Life. Hate to say it, but it's true.

Oh... And yes. Modern shooters are indeed a big load of crapsack. ;3

TheGamerElite33

Nov 3, 2011
Half life and OOT released same year 1998 and look closely how half life was ahead of its time

No im not talking about graphics. but rather full quality.

im not saying OOT is bad or anything. because for console point of view its great (althought for PC standard its complete crap) however half life was ahead of time. same as deus ex

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Diesel- said:
both Half life 1 and OOT was release in 1998. and compare both of them. HL1 looks like 10 years leap over it.
and OOT plays like 10 years leap over Half-Life.

No. Deus Ex and Half-Life don't have a greater legacy than Mario/Zelda as they only have like 3 or 4 games in their respective franchises (counting HL2 Ep. 1 and 2 as their own games). Zelda and Mario have a lot more and have been around a lot longer. They are also more recognisable and more accessible to players.

Diesel- said:
Half life and OOT released same year 1998 and look closely how half life was ahead of its time

No im not talking about graphics. but rather full quality.

im not saying OOT is bad or anything. because for console point of view its great (althought for PC standard its complete crap) however half life was ahead of time. same as deus ex
I don't see your point here. Half Life looks fairly similar graphics-wise to OoT (weapons look more detailed but the environment is the same). OoT brought more innovation to the industry than Half-Life. Not saying Half-Life is bad but it didn't revolutionise games like OoT did.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Diesel- said:
pearcinator said:
recognisable and more accessible to players.
well thats not good thing in my book. especially more accessible.
Accessibility contributes a lot to legacy. If something is too complex then it won't be adopted by a majority of people. People have grown up accustomed to the look and play of Mario/Zelda and therefore there is a greater legacy with those games.

Legacy - denoting or relating to software or hardware that has been superseded but is difficult to replace because of its wide use.

Yes, there are many games that are graphically and technically superior to Mario and Zelda but because a lot of people grew up with Mario and Zelda they are deeper ingrained into their memories. The impact of Mario and Zelda to the whole of gaming vastly outweighs Half-Life/Deus Ex.

Hell, I would argue that Goldeneye 007 had more of an impact to FPS games than them.

TheGamerElite33

Nov 3, 2011
pearcinator said:
Hell, I would argue that Goldeneye 007 had more of an impact to FPS games than them.
too bad goldeneye was terrible even when it was released. in 1997 quack was also released and was much better. so in next year when Half life was released and blow it out of water.

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
BeerTent said:
This thread...

Oh? We're actually discussing things here? I forgot I was on the 3rd page.

Mario and Zelda have an insane amount of impact. They've reshaped elements in games for years, and the entire world knows them as iconic characters.

As for DE and HL? Well... They're iconic. Yes... They've made some impact as some of the greatest games of all time, sure... But Halo: CE made a bigger impact than Half-Life. Hate to say it, but it's true.

Oh... And yes. Modern shooters are indeed a big load of crapsack. ;3
We could later use this thread to export Escapist brand salt.

Although I think Half-life made a bigger impact since it influenced all this cinematic-style experience for shooters, while Halo popularized it (sadly).