Is he trying to scam me?

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
jackknife402 said:
his wording seems dodgy as well, it didn't flow right. Continue on and find someone more local.
Ever considered that English isn't his first language?

If your going to do it make sure you get paid first, then send it off.

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
"Check for traps, Schmoopy!"

In other words, don't do it unless you are 100% sure it is not a scam.

Saul B

Feb 9, 2009
scumofsociety said:
Who buys a second hand laptop as a gift for their boss?
Agreed. You don't buy a laptop for a boss, you take them out for a meal. He wouldn't even need a new (secondhand) laptop.

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
sorry user name taken. said:
berethond said:
It's a trap!

i had people messaging me when i was selling my old iphone 2g (because i upgraded) they would have into other peoples accounts and make stupid bids and mess up my sale on ebay.

my starting bid was 85 then suddenly jumped to 2560 ...i had to list it 3 times

I've heard people that have sold items to these people that they say it came to them broken and try to claim the money back...
Man!
That's why I keep everything.

Saul B

Feb 9, 2009
jackknife402 said:
his wording seems dodgy as well, it didn't flow right. Continue on and find someone more local.
Sorry about double post, but I agree. Most of the email was all one sentence with lots of connectives which makes it sound kinda forced.

JRL5

Aug 16, 2008
I cant belive anybody has yet to mention P-P-Powerbook in this thread.
http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

DaisukeVulgar

May 6, 2009
It does indeed sound like a scam, and from family knowledge, Paypal can be very tricky for expensive things. My uncle sold a phone on Ebay before via Paypal, then after it had been delivered the buyer reported that it didn't work even after my uncle had made sure it did; Thus resulting in my uncle having the money taken back.

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
AC10 said:
He's trying to scam you, don't sell to any 3rd world country ... or eastern Europe... or China.
OI!!

To the OP: sell to someone local, meeting, cash. Even if that guy is not a scammer - and he almost certainly is, for all the reasons people mentioned - you'd always want to make sure you get the money and the buyer is reliable.

KaZZaP

Aug 7, 2008
Nothing seems out of the ordinary to me, English might not be a his first language so that might be why some of you think it sounds weird. If you get the money I'd send it.

S.H.A.R.P.

Mar 4, 2009
Erm.. Giving a second-hand laptop to your boss? Who on Earth would do such a thing? I say spam scam!

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
AC10 said:
He's trying to scam you, don't sell to any 3rd world country ... or eastern Europe... or China.
Actually eastern Europe ok if its part of the EU because its under EU law so your protected.