Is he trying to scam me?

Fablaam

Apr 12, 2009
Hey guys, I was recently trying to sell my old MacBook on Craigslist and I got an offer from a guy who wants to buy it, but he says he needs it shipped to West Africa and that he will pay me via PayPal. Here is the email, tell me what you guys think...

Hi, how are you doing today? Thanks for the reply actually i want to buy the laptop as a gift for my Boss. He was transferred to one of our company, schlumberger(a multinational company) branch in west africa, right now i am out of town on a business trip for my company and i would like you to deliver it to him, so i will be adding extra $150 for the shipping expenses and i want to pay through paypal because it is save and faster, if it is okay with you kindly send me a paypal money request to my paypal email which is [email protected] and if you don?t have a paypal account, you can simply go to www.paypal.com to sign up???..it?s free.
Have a great day ahead as i look forward to hear from you soon.
Thanks,
Chris.

I personally think it sounds like a scam, but to my knowledge PayPal is pretty secure, although I have heard some stories of people sending it off and then the person scratching and denting the thing and then sending a request to PayPal to cancel the transaction because of the alledged "damage".

What do you guys think?

erikvduyn

The worst at Linux
Apr 2, 2008
Anything that mentions sending it to Nigeria or West Africa is a no. BIG FUCKING NO!

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
Well, West Africa seems awfully far away to send a gift. I'd be cautious. Plus, isn't West Africa like 16 countries? Sounds like a scam folks.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
He's trying to scam you, don't sell to any 3rd world country ... or eastern Europe... or China.

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
Well, I don't trust people as a policy, so I'm going to say it's a scam.

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
Demand the money first... Then make sure you get the money before sending the laptop.

My preference, don't trust third world countries. I am not racist, I just tend to find something fishy about trading there...

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
It does sound like a scam; and PayPal only cover goods sold through ebay if I remember correctly (if you get scammed you'll lose your money?).

I'd say sell it within your country.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
ThePoodonkis said:
I wouldn't trust it.
It is truly sad that companies resorted to debriding humanity from Personal trust for a quick buck, via the infamous spam.
Soon enough love will be deprived of true intimacy because of commercialized manipulation of the self, and personal appearance/one night stands are the only things that matter, due to coperate propoganda telling us so.
-Oh wait.

May 7, 2008
berethond said:
It's a trap!

i had people messaging me when i was selling my old iphone 2g (because i upgraded) they would have into other peoples accounts and make stupid bids and mess up my sale on ebay.

my starting bid was 85 then suddenly jumped to 2560 ...i had to list it 3 times

I've heard people that have sold items to these people that they say it came to them broken and try to claim the money back...

jasoncyrus

Sep 11, 2008
It's simple.

Get the payment first, then send it via recorded/insured delivery. That way you keep the money and if he tried to fuck with you over it, you have have proof it was in good condition when you sent it, have the proof yousent it via insured delivery and so the carries gets the blame.

xxDarlenexx

Dec 24, 2008
It's most DEFINITELY a scam. My boyfriend got taken in a few years a go. It wasn't a macbook, but he could've gotten a couple hundred for it.

just as a general rule if you're selling something expensive like that on craigslist insist on cash and a meeting. That way you both win. You get the money and they get to see the product in person and see that it really works.

Good luck

LivingInStereo

Dec 22, 2008
Ok IO don't really know for sure, but I was watching the British office yesterday and I'm pretty sure schlumberger is the company from that, which would make it fictional. But then it was late and I hear things wrong alot.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
sirdanrhodes said:
Demand the money first... Then make sure you get the money before sending the laptop.

My preference, don't trust third world countries. I am not racist, I just tend to find something fishy about trading there...
Make sure it's cash only. Oh and this is another one of those weird threads....