Is it bad to get into something, because of something that came after it?

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Sorry about the confusing topic title, thats the best I could come up with =|

So, I've finally gotten around to watching the original series of Cowboy Bebop. When telling a friend of mine that I am starting to watch it, and joking that it will probably steal my soul and make me watch it all in one sitting, he said "wtf? you just got around to watching that now? dude you should have watched it a LONG time ago". I told him that I have wanted to watch the series for a long time ever since I saw bits of the movie. Apparently finding out about Cowboy Bebop because of the "pathetic excuse of a movie", is an affront to Cowboy Bebop; a sin that can never be forgiven (apparently).
This got me thinking: Is it insulting to something if you discover it from a source that is considered bad or insulting?
For example: is it bad to read all of the Lord of the Rings books because you liked the movies?
or
Is it bad to start reading DC comics because you liked the Batman movies?
or even
Is it bad to start playing WoW because you liked Warcraft 3?

Personally, I think you should like whatever the hell you want, and screw what people think (but thats for a different thread).
I consider it silly that someone will start reading Harry Potter books AFTER watching the movies, but its still great that they are getting into the books. So long as they can broaden their horizons, everything is fine in my books.

So fellow Escapists, do you think it is bad for someone to get into something because of something that came after it?
Ex: I love KOTOR! I am going to watch the Star Wars movies now!

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
I have no idea how that could be bad. Its just a source that leads you to something else. Doesn't matter what the source is really.

AzureRaven

Jul 21, 2011
If it lead you to it, it lead you to it. Honestly, I liked the Bebop movie anyway...I thought it was pretty good. Then again, my standards aren't ridiculously high. :p Don't worry too much about what "big, true" fans of the series think. You like what you like, and enjoy it. Instead of worrying what made you like it, be glad you found anything at all that made you like it.

Also, I believe WC3 came before WoW? I might be wrong, but yea.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
Well, seeing as how these things don't have feelings, it's only another person that finds it insulting that you go to the original after experiencing something that came after it. And to those people, I say "fuck you," because all that matters is that you got there.

godfist88

Dec 17, 2010
that's just elitist nerd/fanboy talk.

I didn't get into Devil May cry until the 4th one came out, which i loved by the way. which also led to me playing the older ones (excluding the 2nd one, because i heard too many bad things about it.)

so don't feel bad because other people get in you face about something as trivial as, how you got into a show/game/book.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Torrasque said:
Apparently finding out about Cowboy Bebop because of the "pathetic excuse of a movie", is an affront to Cowboy Bebop; a sin that can never be forgiven (apparently).
Funny that, as the Cowboy Bebop is one of the most critically acclaimed anime-based movies ever, and even a Western box-office success to boot. Not only that, but the movie itself was everything that made Cowboy Bebop, well, Cowboy Bebop. The fight choreography, the story, the characters, and maybe even more importantly the music.

As for me, I got into comics thanks to the movies. I started buying the latest Invincible Iron Man series after seeing Iron Man 2. I started buying Batman comics thanks to the Arkham Asylum game though, and other unaffiliated comics (Deadpool, Sandman) followed suit.

Fallout 3 also got me into the original Fallout games, and promptly made me realize how bad of a role-playing game F3 is. It was fun, but good heavens it was limited.

Handbag1992

Apr 20, 2009
I got into Morrowind via Oblivion. I get into a vast number of Manga through their Anime counterparts (Soul Eater, Ao No Exorcist, Naruto, Shaman King and Full Metal Alchemist just to name a few)

So I don't see why anyone would think it was bad.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Eh, it's only a bad thing according to fanboys on YouTube. For example. you would not believe how much spite was being aimed at people who'd heard of certain songs thanks to Brütal Legend.

Well, okay, you probably would believe it if you've ever read comments on YouTube before, but you get what I mean.

AD-Stu

Oct 13, 2011
*shrugs*

If you find something you enjoy, then who cares how you came across it? I guess elitists might, but who cares what they think either :p

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
I did exactly that with Watchmen. Saw the movie first, read the novel afterwards and I loved them both. They both have their strengths and weaknesses and anyone who tells me that I'm somehow wrong for doing it that way is an idiot.

Puddleknock

Sep 14, 2011
Well first thing, The Cowboy Bebop movie was pretty good in my eyes. To call it a 'sin' would be a huge exaggeration on his part, would like to know why he has such a dim view of the film.

But even if it was a bad film that shouldn't stop you watching what came before. No one said you have to watch the film and the series is self contained so you wont miss anything by not watching.

Last point would be watch what you want to watch, whilst recommendations are nice don't let them sway you too much. If you want to watch something (or play a game for that matter), then do so. your opinions and your mind it what really matters to you.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
Nope it isn't a bad thing.

It doesn't really matter how you get into things.

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
It's definitely not a bad thing. Surely, it doesn't matter how you expand your horizons (in this context, at least) as long as you do expand them...?

A personal example; I got into the Death Note series and manga after seeing the live action films. [sub][sub]Shh... I liked them.[/sub][/sub] The same happened with the Lord of the Rings movies; only after seeing those did I pick up the books... even now, I'm unsure which version I prefer...

Aussie502

Apr 19, 2011
Only hipsters who think they're better than everyone else by discovering something before it goes mainstream believe this.

Folji

Jul 21, 2010
Like someone once said to me, "why do you care so much about what other people think?" If you like something and want to find out more about it, that's good for you. If anyone has anything to say about it, ask them why they care.

silent299

Mar 29, 2011
I watched the HBO series "Game of Thrones" and immediately went out and bought the first book after watching the first episode. I've read the whole series now, and I can't wait until the next book comes out. The show came after, and it has boosted the popularity of the books enormously, so no, its definitely not a bad thing!