Is it just me ... or do women make terrible comedians?

Inchronica

Feb 3, 2011
Seriously, I've yet to see one funny female comedian. I don't mean to sound sexist but, It's like they try too hard to compete with they're male counter part. Again, Don't get me wrong, I'm not sexist it's just the impression I get.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
The thing is that women don't need to be funny to get attention - thus the majority of comedians and funny people are men.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Hahahahaha...no.
If you think women cant be funny, then you just never watched any comedy by women.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
You've never heard of Phyllis Diller?

It's just you. I've never noticed forced comedy like that...at least, not disproportionately among women.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
I think this has been done before awhile back. Yes, jokes to do with their vaginas and periods are tasteless though only about half the female comedians I've seen are like this so perhaps we're just not looking hard enough.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
A lot of them pull the whole 'it's funny because all men generalise about women but they're wrong!' routine, not noting the irony.

BUT, there are some downright hilarious female comedians if you're lucky enough to spot them. I wish I could give you names, but I rarely remember the names of funny comedians save for a few.

Inchronica

Feb 3, 2011
... I have. Lisa Lampanelli, Vagina Monologues, Sarah Silverman, Whoopie Golderberg ( I was desperate at that point) And a few others that I can't remember the names of. All not that funny, Sarah Silverman was alright I guess ... But she old after a little while.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
I'd say it's harder to find a woman comedian then a man.

Although it's one of those things where males take up the vast majority with many of them not being funny, and all women comedians who are popular are fucking terrible.

So it's more just one of those lost in the crowd kinda things.

Sep 13, 2009
I agree, most of the female comedians you see on TV are pretty bad. They typically tend to fall on the crutch of just trying to relate with the females in the audience. When you think of it though, most comedians on TV are bad in general, they just show less female ones so you're less likely to see the good ones.

I have seen two or three good female comedians, but I really haven't gone out of my way to look for them.

Christopher Nicdao

Dec 14, 2010
I reluctantly agree with the OP. So many female comedians rely on the "DURR HURR I'M A WOMAN" act instead of doing actual comedy.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Paula Poundstone, Rita Rudner, Whoopi Goldberg, Elayne Boosler...

It's just you.

Haydyn

Mar 27, 2009
I think it's because humor is subjective. When it comes to standup, women are talking about entirely different things, and in a different style. I can't name one female comedian I like. Their humor just doesn't appeal to me.

Yet women still find male comedians funny. Fuck, I don't know, maybe you need to have a penis to be funny. Have you seen them? They are dirty, obscene, smelly, and hairy. Wait, that also sounds like a vagina.

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
you just haven't seen the right ones, there are a lot of terrible ones out there, just as there are terrible male comedians.

I love
She does a rap of Lucy in the sky with diamonds, that is just pricelss. Which isn't in here and I cant find :(

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Inchronica said:
(In response to the feminist Saelune)
Me? Feminist? No. Im not dumb enough to be offended by Duke Nukem. And I prefer equality. (to me, most feminists care more about shifting power than balancing it)

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Depends. I'll make the statement that I haven't so far seen even one funny British female comedian, simply because their whole routine seems to be built around the men-women stereotypes bit. British comedy on the whole is pretty bad regardless of gender.

I've seen some awesome female Canadian comedians as well as male ones, I guess those crazy canucks are born with more developed funny bones.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
I think that it's because men are far more willing to make fools of themselves than women.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
I really haven't come across many female comedians. The ones I have seen were terrible though. Not that there aren't enough terrible male comedians out there.
I just don't think there are any particularly funny female comedians in the business at the moment.

If anyone can point me towards a lady that's as funny as Jim Jeffries or George Carlin, I'll be pleasantly surprised.Edit: Christina H. [http://www.cracked.com/members/Mortal%20Wombat] the Cracked.com writer is pretty funny though. Certainly as funny as her male counterparts.

Edit: Anne Kat Hærland and Linn Skåber are pretty funny.

Edit: I've been pointed towards Margaret Cho a couple of times (both in and outside of this thread) and honestly, she is one of the few stand up comedians out there whose act I can watch in its entirety without smiling.
Now Jo Brand. I like her. I don't find her funny, but I like how she acts and does her show. I can see how some people might think she's funny. She's a likeable comedian.