Is it just me, or has a lot of recent anime aged badly?

jumjalalabash

Jan 25, 2010
With Naruto, I will defend it by saying the Sasuke Retrieval arc is worth watching and NOTHING else.

And that Inuyasha that was made like 2 years ago to end the story was good being that it was only like 20 episodes, it moved quick with good action, and 30% of it wasn't people screaming KAGOME.

But ya a lot of old mainstream animes are kinda shit.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Sean Hollyman said:
I'm watching Beyblade right now and I still love it.
Hell yeah I loved the first 3 seasons, the ost made it for me.

And I tried to get into the new metal series but it sucks :(

KingCrInuYasha

Jan 17, 2011
Lemme back pedal on some of this:

DBZ: I admit, I liked the Majin Buu saga, especially the part where Adult Buu gets his ass kicked by a piece of candy. Plus the episode where Goku and Piccolo try to get their driver's license, arguably the best filler episode ever.

Naruto: The show was for the most part okay, up until the 80+ episode filler marathon, then I kind of lost interest. Liked Orochimaru as a villain.

Inuyasha: Once again, okay up until the show started slowing to a crawl at or just after the Band of Seven arc. Couldn't stand the constant flashbacks to Kikyo's death, as well as Inu and Kagome constantly screaming each others names every three minutes.

NGE: Heard the Rebuilds were good. Might get into them one of these days.

Pokémon: To be honest, I could probably watch this show up until the end of The Orange Islands saga.

Yu-Gi-Oh: The first series I can handle, considering Dan Green is in it. ^_^

Jabberwock King said:
Now I ask you this: What is the color of Loyalty?
Uh, blue.

snow

Jan 14, 2010
Start hunting for other animes. Sometimes the best stuff isn't in english. A good portion of that list there is not only old, but also not very good.

I'd recommend a few anime shows but I don't know how old you are... The stuff I watch tends to be pretty messed up.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Most of what you listed is Shōnen stuff anyway. That never ages well. Anime written for an older audience in the first place tends to remain interesting or moving for a long time.

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
Those don't really seem that recent. :l

I enjoyed Naruto right up until the Zabuza/Haku plot arc ended.

I don't really understand your criticism of Inuyasha (I seriously do not understand what you are trying to say) I thought it was pretty enjoyable until they starting shamelessly padding the episodes out, putting off the final confrontation with Naraku for no real reason.

IliaSeldania

Aug 8, 2010
If you are going to watch Dragon Ball Z again stick with DBZ Kai. Its all the good parts of DBZ with a new coat of paint and all the god damn filler taken out. 97 episodes up to the Cell saga and its over. OVER. Compare that to the original run which lasted 197 episodes from the beginning to the end of the Cell saga. 100 episodes of pure nothing taken out, good stuff man.

K-on is okay. Barely. Actually once Asuza was introduced I tuned out. Before that it almost reminded of a teenage girl version of Seinfeld with how much nonsense and nothing was going on. That was alright.

Evangelion is incredibly overrated and stupidly dark and complicated for no reason....but its still alright.

Otherwise, Ive been noticing that in recent years anime just doesn't have that same spark that it used to, even with classic shows. I assumed it was just me getting older, but that's only part of it. Must shows just nowadays just arent in my demographic. Im not a 15 year old who is easily amused by the same jokes and gags and action shots, which is the demographic that anime tends to target. So cross out DBZ, Naruto, Bleach and I give you a shonen series that's infinitely better than all of them combined. Yu Yu Hakusho. Watch it. Love it. Just uh.....ignore the first season. The first season is an anime, it transcends simply being an anime from season 2 onwards. I'm kinda using anime as a derogatory term aren't I? >_>

Dr. Danger

Let's Talk Lobotomy
Dec 24, 2008
I don't think it aged badly. I think you just grew out of it.

That's what happened to me. Anime is a long-gone thing of the past and I can barely sit through an advertisement for it without wanting to cringe. Sometimes I kind of wish the Escapist wasn't over-crowded by it's fans.

katsumoto03

Feb 24, 2010
I disagree with K-On! being on this list, but whatevs.

Also: How are these recent at all?

6_Qubed

Mar 19, 2009
How old were you when you started watching any of these shows? Eh. Regardless, you may have simply become accustomed to them, whereas when you first started watching these shows they were still shiny and new and had that "new thing" smell to them. I remember when I first saw Pokemon back in the day, and thought that Caterpie turning into Metapod and then finally turning into Butterfry was the shit. Hell, you wanna know a non-anime cartoon that hasn't aged well? The Transformers Movie. No, whippersnappers, the first Transformers movie, with the guy from Unsolved Mysteries as Ultra Magnus and Leonard Nemoy as Galvatron and Eric Idle kicking ass as a psychotic TV-jargon-spewing motorcycle made out of junk while Weird Al's "Dare To Be Stupid" plays over it and to top it all off Orson Fucking Welles as Unicron.

That's right, I said it, the movie sucks these days. We're butchering sacred cows in this thread. For hamburgers. Have you seen that movie recently? The animation is dated, there are plot holes left and right, and at some point between now and when you first saw it as a kid you may have caught wind of how the reason a child's cartoon movie has such a high body count is because it was basically an hour-long toy commercial for the new line of toys they were going to put out, and they had to get rid of the old and busted's somehow.

So yeah, it ain't just limited to anime.

Oh, and Frizzlefry:

thefrizzlefry said:
I mean, I can't really pass judgment on most of those shows, seeing as how I've never actually seen them.
There, I made your post more efficient by stripping out all the unnecessary bits! No need to thank me, just trying to help. ^_^

Krinku

Feb 5, 2011
I see a lot of Shounen in what you listed(and anime no less so chocked full of fillers) and how are any of these recent...?

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
Marik2 said:
Sean Hollyman said:
I'm watching Beyblade right now and I still love it.
Hell yeah I loved the first 3 seasons, the ost made it for me.

And I tried to get into the new metal series but it sucks :(
I've been listening to that on a loop @_@

That was good too.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Recent anime? Maybe you don't know, but Dragonball Z ended in the 80s. That's hardly what I call recent.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
You do know that half of the animes you had listed were from the 90?s which were before the visual technology had improve greatly?
Although I'm still abit confuse as you discussing more about the anime quality as in the plot, story etc? If that the case than I got nothing to say since some anime do start to plummet after it first air on tv. (I looking at you Bleach!)

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Death Note will never go out of style~
Elfen Lied either, but there are very few people who are willing to overlook the fanservice on that one.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Jabberwock King said:
KingCrInuYasha said:
Jabberwock King said:
Now I ask you this: What is the color of Loyalty?
Uh, blue.
Wrong!
Orange. The answer is Orange.

ZombieGenesis said:
Death Note will never go out of style~
Elfen Lied either, but there are very few people who are willing to overlook the fanservice on that one.
Tis true. Death Note is amazing. <3

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Some anime ages worse than others, SEE: DBZ, but some I think have aged rather well, SEE: Escaflowne.