Is it too late to enjoy Mists of Pandaria?

Lonan

Dec 27, 2008
I may have free time for over a month for the first time in many years, and was thinking of reigniting my World of Warcraft account. Now, I played Wrath of the Lich King 2 years ago, when everyone had left Northrend, and it was depressing to be the only one in an entire zone. Has this already happened with Mists of Pandaria, or will it happen before January?

As a side thing, I really prefer plot over grinding, has grinding been reduced a lot or at least as much as it was for Cataclysm?

Thank you people who play WOW!

Also, think I should add a poll?

Bravo Company

Feb 21, 2010
If all you're interested in is questing and the regular dungeons, nah, MoP is still good. The latest patch destroyed a previously questable zone however.

However, when you run a heroic you'll pretty much be following the tank the whole time, he'll pull everything up to the boss, probably solo the boss, and then continue forward. The LFR raids are pretty fun for casual play.

Last I played ( a month or 2 ago) the zones were still rather heavily populated and when the world boss spawns the MoP server would lag pretty hard because of all the people grouped up to kill the bosses.

I felt as if it wasn't TOO grindy, however, I don't feel that Cata was very grindy at all. Blizz has cut the exp requirement for 89-90 by a couple mil since MoP first released. Plus you can join groups for monkey runs which will get you some pretty decent exp.

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
Well one of the big benefits to the newer versions of WoW is what they call Cross-Realm Zones, which means you should no longer encounter "totally dead zones" anywhere, as long as there's still players in that level bracket (and there still will be) then you will always have someone to see and do things with in that bracket. Plus the new Dungeon & Raid Finder utility allows you to easily get groups for dungeons of basically any level.

So yes, you can still enjoy Pandaria, and even go back to older locations like the Cataclysm Zones, Northrend, or even Outland and enjoy them more now that there's people in them.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Lack of people was a massive problem when I leveled my first character in WoW. Before the Cross-Realm thing I saw no more than twenty players after level 20 between level 70. Most of them were Horde as well so they killed me on sight. My WoW experience was a lonely time.

BQE

Posh Villainess
Jun 17, 2013
I'm having a great time, there's just so much to do I never have time for it all. I leveled up my Death Knight at the beginning of the expansion, but recently brought up my Shaman and Warlock in a span of about two weeks. After some growing pains, I've fallen in love with my Warlock, who was a character of mine since vanilla.

I think Blizzard has done plenty to add to the game and age only demonstrates the consideration they have for the game itself. I'm highly anticipating the release of Warlords of Draenor as well.

Tsukuyomi

May 28, 2011
I'm going to be going back myself when I can and frankly from what I've seen, I feel like I should have come back sooner. It seems like Blizzard has done a lot right with Mists and if they keep things up into Warlords, they should have a good future. The only thing that would make me happier would be to think that my problems of making gold won't be so much of a problem now....that and hopefully the Auction House isn't still terribly inflated to the point of silliness.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Yeah, MoP is still the current expansion and is full of life and players. The dungeons will be a breeze and it's not hard to gear for at least LFR tier content through the Timeless Isle which gives away free ilvl496 epic armor. Through LFR you chould be able to gear yourself for flex runs which should gear you enough for end content raiding if that's what you fancy.

In terms of story, all the quests in MoP are very low on grinding and very high on context. You tend to follow an almost linear path through the entire expansion that tells of the history, culture and current state of Pandria and the Pandaren, who are a surprisingly interesting bunch for an April Fools joke.

There are even in raid cutscenes that add a bit more flavor to the raids now.

BQE said:
I'm having a great time, there's just so much to do I never have time for it all. I leveled up my Death Knight at the beginning of the expansion, but recently brought up my Shaman and Warlock in a span of about two weeks. After some growing pains, I've fallen in love with my Warlock, who was a character of mine since vanilla.

I think Blizzard has done plenty to add to the game and age only demonstrates the consideration they have for the game itself. I'm highly anticipating the release of Warlords of Draenor as well.
I really love where Warlocks have been going in MoP. I main a Warlock in a 10 man raiding guild and I absolutely love it. Destruction has never been more viable, Demonology is just so flashy and Affliction is such a challenge. The utility and survivability of the Warlock has made it a must have class this expansion and I love every minute of it. The Gateways and personal teleport has my guild relying on me for important tasks like the Belt on Siegecrafter and the Engineers in the Garrosh encounter. I just wish they hadn't nerfed gateways and the Voidwalker so hard. It was nice being able to solo Alone in the Dark with no effort.

Have you done the green fire quest? That was one of the coolest quest chains I've ever done in an MMO and the fight against Kanrethad has gone down as one of my favourite encounters of all time.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
VanQ said:
Have you done the green fire quest? That was one of the coolest quest chains I've ever done in an MMO and the fight against Kanrethad has gone down as one of my favourite encounters of all time.
Oh god the green fire quest. That was a ton of fun. I'm glad I got it done before they changed the portals, cause that fight was freaking hard, but awesome.

On topic, the game still has a lot of life in it. The questing in my opinion is far more interesting than previous expansions but there's no reason to group for anything just like Cata so that kind of sucks but it's still enjoyable. THere aren't a huge variety of dungeons this time around but they're decent. And LFR is a lot better this time around as every raid has it now. The catch up game is not as bad as it used to be so you'll be ready to enjoy end game content maybe a week or two after lvl cap. Have fun! I'm quitting soon to wait for WoD as I've played the entire expansion but it makes me glad people are coming back to try it out.

BQE

Posh Villainess
Jun 17, 2013
VanQ said:
VanQ...VanQ....I thought we were friends. Why did you have to bring up the green fire VanQ?

I.....have died so many times against Ebonlocke it's absurd. It honestly feels like I'm playing Dark Souls with the margin of error. I understand a higher item level widens that margin but trying to do it in 480 gear, it's just soul-crushing.

I have yet to take him down, my broken body has crumpled to the ground more times than I can tally. I'm having some issues managing the pet demon during the Felhunter phase. I've debated trying to bring my score up by about 40-50 points before trying it again.

Who knows though, that quest chain and fight is some of the most fun and challenge I've heard had in World of Warcraft, and games in general.

[sub].........FUCK EBONLOCKE[/sub]

;_;

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
BQE said:
VanQ said:
VanQ...VanQ....I thought we were friends. Why did you have to bring up the green fire VanQ?

I.....have died so many times against Ebonlocke it's absurd. It honestly feels like I'm playing Dark Souls with the margin of error. I understand a higher item level widens that margin but trying to do it in 480 gear, it's just soul-crushing.

I have yet to take him down, my broken body has crumped to the ground more times than I can tally. I'm having some issues managing the pet demon during the Felhunter phase. I've debated trying to bring my score up by about 40-50 points before trying it again.

Who knows though, that quest chain and fight is some of the most fun and challenge I've heard had in World of Warcraft, and games in general.

[sub].........FUCK EBONLOCKE[/sub]

;_;
I managed to get him down at ilvl450 but I've been playing my Warlock since day 1 of WoW. If I may suggest a few pointers for controlling your Pit Lord?

-Have Grimoire of Sacrifice since you won't be using a regular demon so the health regen ans spell buffs are worth it
-Have Glyph of Enslave Demon
-When Ebonlocke starts to summon the felpups, move your Pit Lord behind one of the pillars behind the portal
-Drop Rain of Fire on the portal and keep it on there until all 3 felpups come out, this will aggro them immediatel and prevent them from turning to face the Pit Lord. Their Consume Magic spell works in a massive arc in front of them.
-When Ebonlocke begins to summon his Doomguard, drop Enslave on purpose and reenslave to refresh the timer so it doesn't drop unexpectedly

As an extra tip, take Glyph of Havoc, cast conflagrate and Havoc on the first fel pup then cast chaos bolt on the next one. The first two should be dead nearly instantly leaving you to finish off the last one quite easily. Try not to move at all in the fel pup phase, they tend to turn around randomly to face your Pit Lord if you do.

Alternatively, you can run down the huge set of stairs at the back of the platform, the pups will follow you down there but you can run and gun with Kil'Jaeden's cunning and Ebonlocke's Cataclysm spell won't hit you down there.

I went back recently with ilvl550 gear and to be honest, the fight is trivial. I managed to burn Ebonlocke before he finished summoning his first Doomguard and I could eat his Chaos Bolts with my Sacrificial Pact giving me the equivilent of 1.5M HP. So yeah, increasing your ilvl will definitely help.