Is it worth becoming a Vampire on "Oblivion"?

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
In my opinion not really unless you get the mod which improves vampires.

yuval152

Jul 6, 2011
Azaraxzealot said:
reg42 said:
No, it's just annoying.
plus, there's no cure.

it sucks, just like Oblivion does with its "up its own ass" mechanics and stat building.
there is a cure although its hard to get

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Vampire_Cure

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Nope. Not at all. In any way. Ever.

Instead, download a dragon mount mod or a combat improving mod or one of the ones that adds a new region of Cyrodiil.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
Well, it was definitely worth it on one of my playthroughs where the game apparently bugged out. You know how you get bigger bonuses to strength the longer you don't drink blood but also become more vulnerable to sunlight? Well, my character got the strength boost (and the other vampire abilities), but the people were not scared of him and he was immune to sunlight. It all turned back to normal though when I, in a fit of stupidity, decided to drink some blood.

Normally though, definitely no.

Wylade

Jul 3, 2010
I wouldn't do it. The stat boosts it gives you are very small unless you don't feest, and if you don't do that then sunlight kills you. it's just not worth it for +5 to strenth or whatever.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Definitely is. Especially if you're into some self-RP. But even other than that, it's a free stat increase, and a big one at that, you just need to nibble on someone once in a while. It's also fantastic as it progresses and increases the stats over time. Meaning - you're in a dungeon and suddenly you're carrying too much shit? No problemo. 24h sleep and you're stronger&able to carry more for a while. Go back, leave loot in your house, give your maid a bite while she sleeps et voila :)

Sunlight is easy as fuck to avoid, there's tons of caves to jump into for a quick wait/sleep.

II2

Mar 13, 2010
Kinda a pain in the ass.

Here's the kicker: I actually rolled a character with the intent purpose of becoming a vampire and doing the Dark Brotherhood deal, but when the vampire ponce in the DB bit me it actually made my deathly pale character more flushed and ruined the look I was going for with the customizable sliders.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Even with mods to significantly change it up and add flavor, I didn't care for Oblivion vampirism and eventually ended up removing it.

Then again I eventually decided I didn't care for the entire game and ended up removing it, so YMMV.

Skoldpadda

Jan 13, 2010
It's not worth becoming anything in Oblivion. It is, however, really worth becoming a vampire, in Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
I accidentally got vampire'd in Oblivion, and I was going to go back a save and get rid of it, but someone accused me of savescumming, and my inner Roguelike fan was all like, "Challenge accepted."

But then it was really unpleasant, and I simply stopped playing the character because of it. I'd had a bug that made me have a bad drowning experience with the character before this, so I was trying out an Argonian mage for the sake of trying to deal with it. The bug didn't happen again, and I was stuck with a lizard vampire wizard (Which ruined the rhyme) with really freaky eyes. They never made an individual skin for the vampire argonians, it seems, so you get bloodshot human eyes instead. >.>
So yeah, unless you want something that forces you to not fast travel, avoid it.

ks1234

Mar 12, 2011
I actually kind-of enjoyed playing my 'vampire' character... it was a lot of fun.
P.S. I like how the op put 'Oblivion' in quotes but not 'vampire'