Is it worth buying a PS4 if I have a good PC?

Quirkymeister

May 1, 2015
Hello,
Just came into some money, saw the ad for that new Dragon Quest thing that looks excellent, and thought about getting a PS4, as there are some current and upcoming games that I'd be into that are either console/PS4 exclusive, or are multiplatform, but I'd just feel more confident about getting a smooth and fun gaming experience on a console (looking at you, Ubisoft! Also, most stuff by EA: not because I hate Origin, I just prefer to have all my games under one service. It's just more convenient that way, methinks). The PC I have can play most new games, if not necessarily at full specs.
So, do you guys think that there're enough good reasons to get onto the Playstation 4 fun train by this point?
Thanks!

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
What exclusives/console exclusives that you're interested in? I'd say if there are at least five that you want to play that are out already or will be in the very near future then it's probably not a bad idea.

As for Ubisoft games, I'm in the same boat as you. If I really want a game published by them (which isn't that often if I'm being perfectly honest) then I will just buy it on console as I don't want to deal with Uplay.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
It depends on what you want to play and how you want to play it. For instance, I have a very lovely laptop that has served in my gaming for some time now, but if there's one thing I will never like to do is play anything like more-recent Fallout games on it. I was raised on consoles. I'm use to consoles. My best reactions in terms of gameplay will be on a controller, not a keyboard. I will be getting a PS4.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
You want all your games on one service, I'm going to guess by that you mean Steam, but are thinking about getting a PS4 which will fracture your game collection by platform as well as distribution service?

Both Steam and Origin have the option for you to add games from third parties to the launcher. So while it would still be a Origin game you can add it to Steam and start it from there if you wanted.

As to the actual question. I would say if you have the money then go for it. There are some great exclusives out and coming for the PS4. I can't see you not enjoying them.

Fallout, you are aware that you can plug a controller into your PC and play most games that way?

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
As others have said it's pretty much down to the exclusives and weather or not you want to use a game controller.

Unlike the PS3 the internet actually costs money to access for the PS4. Personally I'd say no, but that's from a biased perspective of having a decent PC myself and not having the type of money the PS4 costs to spend at the moment. That might change when the Ratchet & Clank reboot comes out though.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
No. Though occasionally devs lie about bringing games to PC like those dirty dirty liars Rockstar which only leads to frustration and disapointment. (Five years on and I am still bitter.) I am 40 and have been playing home video games over 30 years and I have never owned a console.

However thatgamecompany are Sony exclusive developers. That is the only thing that makes me consider buying a console.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I think if you want to get a console but already have a gaming pc, then you should get a wiiU since Nintendo games don't appear on pc. Even the exclusives on other consoles tend to be from genres that show up a lot on pc too.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I don't think it's worth it yet. I bought it primarily for Bloodborne and while I found it enjoyable, it really wasn't worth the buy in. Look at the exclusives, and see what's coming out down the line. If there isn't anything and you haven't been foaming at the mouth for the current exclusives I'd honestly recommend doing what I did for the PS3. I waited until the PS4 was announced, bought the PS3 for super cheap, and swept up all the best games/exclusives for cheap.
Honestly if you haven't caved in at this point for the few exclusives you can probably wait longer until it's much cheaper.

sonicneedslovetoo

Jul 6, 2015
It really depends, there are a lot of cross platform games, but not all of them are perfect, like Arkham Knight so while there may not be too many games exclusive to the PS4 there may be games that are too much trouble to run on your PC be it for porting problems or DRM(uplay comes to mind at the moment). In addition to that some games don't play well with a keyboard and mouse(platformers, 3rd person shooters etc.) and not all of them have rebindable keys so the PS4 wins out there as well.
But on the other hand I can't see too many more ports like Arkham Knight coming out anytime soon and games that don't bother to add things like rebindable keys or controller support when it would strongly benefit from it probably aren't worth your time in the first place.

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
No reason to really, except if there is exclusives that you just must have. Everything else, playing on the TV from the couch, using a game pad. you can do just as good or better with the PC you already have.

Las7

Nov 22, 2014
Other than Bloodborne there aren't many must play exclusives at the moment if you have a Gaming PC.
Maybe in a few years once Sony releases more exclusives it would make sense but not at the moment.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Only if you want one for Bloodborne and/or Killzone Shadow Fall. Rest of the exclusives aren't released yet or are really, really dissapointing (looking at you, Order 1886).
Playing online costs money now because you need PS+ for that.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I have a PS4, and I'm not really feeling the exclusives. I think this gen is pretty disappointing so far, and I probably wouldn't own any console if my friends were likely to ever go PC.

I mean, if the exclusives are really things you want, I say go for it. But my own opinion is to skip without a good reason. I personally think "it's what my friends play" is a good one, as would "games I like are on it" if that's the case.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Maybe not by this point.

The only exclussives worth it are Bloodborne and Until Dawn (the latter depending on how much you enjoy cheesy horror). Sony also doesn't really have anything for this holiday, so I'd say wait for 2016 when you got games like Uncharted 4 and the Ratchet and Clank reboot.

I love my PS4 (except for the hardrive), but that's because I don't have a gaming PC.

Cold Shiny

May 10, 2015
The PS4 came into existence for one reason and one reason only: to play Bloodborne. That is its sole reason for existing, and I doubt it will ever obtain another. You buy the Bloodstation 4Borne if you wanna play Bloodborne, otherwise, stay away.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
No

/thread

Fine, not shitposting.

'cuz PC gaming master-race. It's got everything, and no console peasantry.

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
MHR said:
No

/thread

Fine, not shitposting.

'cuz PC gaming master-race. It's got everything, and no console peasantry.
More like, PC always has another fucking issue, amiright?
Yes I am.

It depends. If you want consistency, a PS4 is your better bet.

If you can handle dealing with constant technical issues and have the know-how or friends to debug some shit, then it's fine.

Seriously, sometimes using a controller on PC can crash it, or trying to do press to talk chatting can crash your game. Some technical issues plain don't make sense and can be frustrating, so, either or.

Sep 13, 2009
Something Amyss said:
I have a PS4, and I'm not really feeling the exclusives. I think this gen is pretty disappointing so far, and I probably wouldn't own any console if my friends were likely to ever go PC.

I mean, if the exclusives are really things you want, I say go for it. But my own opinion is to skip without a good reason. I personally think "it's what my friends play" is a good one, as would "games I like are on it" if that's the case.
There's not really enough games out right now to justify it, but I think there's some coming that will justify it. While I don't have a PS4 yet, I'm planning on picking one up once No Man's Sky, Rime and The Last Guardian come out. Horizon Zero Dawn also looks pretty good.

Hieronymusgoa

Dec 27, 2011
I got myself a PS3 recently because I wanted to play Demon's Souls, Last of Us and Bayonetta. But I wouldn't have paid more than I paid for it which was 130? for the PS3 and four games.
I really want to play Bloodborne. And I will. Either some day on PS4 for a smaller amount of money (I can wait) or on PC (mark my words).

But back to you: Exclusives (plural) are tempting you? Get one. They don't? Don't get one.
Since there are XBOX controllers and others for PC: Personally I think the controller argument doesn't count.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Sure.

* Gaming on the couch is always nice.
* A lot of PC games (AAA titles) are ports form PS4/XBONE anyway.
* There's alwasy the exclusives.
* Even though PS+ costs money, it's very good value for that money.