Is it worth going back to borderlands?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Borderlands 2 is kind of looking more and more..apealing in a way...I want to like it due to how different it is to other stuff

ans you know the borderlands action figures are eaqually temping

excpet I never finished the first borderlands, it just felt grindy and no fun on my own, and I hear the story isnt exactly all that great and hell the multiplayer could quite possibly be dead

however...it simply would feel right going into the seaquel without finished the original

soo what do you think?

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Mysterious Username said:
The ending is shit, just to warn you.
But as long as you enjoy the ride you should definitely finish it off.
I actually played Borderlands up until the "final boss", but I never got passed that part. It's good to know I'm not missing anything.

Mysterious Username

Jun 4, 2012
Eclpsedragon said:
I actually played Borderlands up until the "final boss", but I never got passed that part. It's good to know I'm not missing anything.
It's basically an unending after that boss from what i can remember.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
If you can get some mates I'd recommend it.
If not, meh. Story's pretty shit anyway and it doesn't seem like the sequel will connect together much.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
I went back to it and rushed it to complete it, spend about 2 hours just following the main quest and doing no side quests on my own and whilst bits of it were fun and it was nice to see the other environments they weren't anything amazing so if it's too grindy just leave it. Watch a Youtube of the ending if you need to know about the vault but it's disappointing (in my opinion).

That said I do have a group together to start it again tonight and hoping with people it will be a lot more fun, doubt we'll finish the game but I hope we do.

Brendan Stepladder

May 21, 2012
I would do it. First of all, I'm more than content dropping $60 just on what I've seen in the trailers. So much information, right down to most of the skill trees, has been leaked on the internet that I feel like I have a pretty good understanding of how this game is going to turn out before it hits stores. And honestly, I can't see how they can screw this one up. If you have friends to play this one with, it will be excellent. The only thing I can see going wrong with this game would be a short campaign length. Nothing else.

Yeah, the ending blows. But when I play Co-op, all cares about plot dry up and leave. But that's just me. Still, I find that gameplay in Borderlands improves the more perks you unlock, so it might be worth the playthourgh anyways.

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
No, not really. It is so boring. I recently went back to it and played a little with a friend and all I was thinking was, "what did I ever see in this piece of crap?"

There is definitely some good humor but there isn't nearly enough to get through the boring combat.

If you get into it I recommend the Armory of General Knox, it is definitely worth the money, it outshines a lot of the game. You can buy the others at your own discretion, just don't buy Mad Moxi's Under-dome Riot, one of the worst DLC purchases of my life.

JasonBurnout16

Oct 12, 2009
It's one of those games where it is really enjoyable with friends but terrible on your own. Similar to Dead Island in that respect. When your with friends you can joke and laugh about how terrible the game is, on your own you witness how terrible it is.

Get some friends to play it with you.

Captcha: Enjoy life - I can't when I'm playing this darn game.

thedevildancer

Nov 7, 2011
not really, its overrated if you ask me its not BAD but its not very interesting, its a lot of grinding the same enemies and even more swapping

shotgun of fire dancing for shotgun of fire ball-dancing. the shooting is ok and it has some appeal in the rpg elements and its kinda of funny

in a weird way. so i say why not as long as you have some friends for the silly ride and a large amount of alcohol is involved just don't expect

anything amazing.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
You're not missing much. Borderlands is more about the journey and not the destination. I thoroughly enjoyed Borderlands from start to finish but that's because I played every minute of it coop with my best friend. Had I played it in single player (particularly the ending), I probably wouldn't be as enthused as I am about Borderlands 2.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
I sure hope it is, because I was planning to get the second one though I've never touched the first. If it's not your style then maybe hold off on it until after you've heard about it from other gamers. Then make your decision.

It's be best advice I can give, knowing nothing about the games.

Edit: sorry, I misread your post entirely. I'd finish any game you've started, to make the most of what you paid for.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Eclpsedragon said:
You are literally not missing anything. Because nothing happens.

I played Borderlands alone and I loved it. I didn't care for co-op at all. I preferred the sense of loneliness and danger. It is definitely worth playing.

WoW Killer

Mar 3, 2012
Did anybody seriously play Borderlands for the story? For me that's one of only a handful of modern games where I can say "that, that there, is a game focused on gameplay". They're few and far between.

I'm drawn to comment on the word "grindy" you used to describe the original. I like to define the grind as any instance of progression mechanics where otherwise uninteresting gameplay is endured for the sake of progression alone. It's an important thing to seclude because it's a shit mechanic and it should be avoided at all costs when making games. But I don't think progression mechanics on their own are worthy of being called grindy, so long as they're attached to a gameplay mechanic that would be considered decent without that progression in place.

For me, the whole appeal of the original Borderlands was that it was essentially Diablo as a first person shooter. It's a first person shooter where you "grind", if that is the word you want to use, for better gear. The whole fact that it's an FPS and you have to aim your weapon and all that shit should make it something above the definition of grind. You're not grinding if you're having fun, right? And then you get all this phat loot on top. That's how I see it.

So if you found Borderlands grindy, what makes you think you won't find Borderlands 2 grindy?

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
I played through Borderlands in its entirety on my own, and I enjoyed it, for the most part. Yes it gets grindy in places, and it feels like it goes on forever, but still, I found it fun...

Then I played some of the DLC co-op. Since then, I've tried getting back into it, just to try the other characters, but by god is it dull.

So basically, do I think its worth going back to? Meh, not really. It was fun at the time, but its moment has long since passed. And I'm finding it difficult to get excited about the sequel.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
I've played through it a couple of times (always solo) and I still think it's great fun, but if you found it grindy the first time I can't imagine much will have changed; the story isn't really any kind of motivator and you won't be missing anything if you decide to jump straight into Borderlands 2.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
Well, did you play the DLC? The main campaign itself is a little bit dry, but you should definitely play The Zombie Island of Dr Ned, The Secret Armory of General Knoxx and Claptrap's Robot Revolution because they're HILARIOUSLY funny (don't bother with Mad Moxxie's Underdome Riot though, it's pointless). Seriously, I've rarely laughed so hard at a game.

The multiplayer isn't dead either, but then again the system they have in place for it DOES really suck- you can't see the ping of the games you're joining, so for Australians like me you often find yourself in a game that's almost unplayable, and when higher level players than you join the game they can really screw up your quest progress (you get all of their open quests shoved into your quest log). Still, I beat the game just fine in single player.

vivalahelvig

Jun 4, 2009
I've played Borderlands many times. By myself, cuz, and I must be the only one, really REALLY enjoyed the game. I don't even notice the end boss, because I always have a shotgun that kills it dead insanely fast.

I'm pumped for BL2 because it looks much better, especially the guns. They look different now (also, there are a bunch of gameplay videos out for reviewing sites and stuff, and it looks quite solid).

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
WoW Killer said:
Did anybody seriously play Borderlands for the story? For me that's one of only a handful of modern games where I can say "that, that there, is a game focused on gameplay". They're few and far between.

I'm drawn to comment on the word "grindy" you used to describe the original. I like to define the grind as any instance of progression mechanics where otherwise uninteresting gameplay is endured for the sake of progression alone. It's an important thing to seclude because it's a shit mechanic and it should be avoided at all costs when making games. But I don't think progression mechanics on their own are worthy of being called grindy, so long as they're attached to a gameplay mechanic that would be considered decent without that progression in place.

For me, the whole appeal of the original Borderlands was that it was essentially Diablo as a first person shooter. It's a first person shooter where you "grind", if that is the word you want to use, for better gear. The whole fact that it's an FPS and you have to aim your weapon and all that shit should make it something above the definition of grind. You're not grinding if you're having fun, right? And then you get all this phat loot on top. That's how I see it.

So if you found Borderlands grindy, what makes you think you won't find Borderlands 2 grindy?
Exactly. I won't be buying the sequel myself because the only loot-em-up I ever enjoyed was Titan Quest, and I don't enjoy that any more either. I could see people buying Borderlands 2 without completing the first game because apparently it is not a shitty port to PC this time. To be honest if Borderlands hadn't been so terribly made I might have found it tolerable rather than ghastly.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
The story is essentially nonexistent. The game is fun, but if you're thorough in questing, then the game will be painfully easy by the end, and the repetition will be acutely obvious. Multiplayer does make things more fun, but if you do it local, it's half impossible to read the words on the screen.

If you tried it before and didn't get into it, I wouldn't push you into playing again. It's a fine and solid game, but the sequel looks much improved, so might as well wait for the best one if you're going to play