Is LucasArts Planning the Return of TIE Fighter?

KissofKetchup

May 26, 2008
I still have TIE Fighter and X-Wing around my house somewhere. Hopefully these ones will be just as good. Just as long as it doesn't have that damn password book crap like the old ones did.

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
SaintWaldo said:
My list of suggestions for LucasArts (unchanged since ~1997):

1. Release the original missions from both the X-Wing and TIE flight sim games in an updated engine.

2. Include a mission editor.

3. Update the engine on a biannual cycle.

4. Release quarterly mission packs.

5. Ignore pleas for online PvP, because XvT already proved that this creates a never-ending circle fight.

6. Heed pleas for online co-op missions.

7. Never make another type of Star Wars game, ever.

I'm almost positive this would create a near endless stream of revenue with which to fully revive the SCUMM genre proper. Not that I agree the world wants or needs to do so; simply because I have tremendous empathy for those who have expressed such desires.

They haven't listened so far, but maybe, juuuuuuust maybe, this time will be different.
You have it completely right. All I can add is a +1.

Between this and news that Mechwarrior is making a come back it looks like the next few years will be glorious indeed.

apoktaino

Aug 4, 2009
I had fond memories of the original x-wing, you know the one with an actual story line. x-wing vs tie was just for the achievement hunters of the 80's...or was it the 90's... well it's lucas arts I lost faith in their games after full throttle.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES DO WANT!!!!

I'm not so sure anyone knows how fuckin EXCITED i am for this. PLEASE NOW!

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Of course, the very best thing they could do is make a full fledged X-Wing Vs Tie Fighter MMORPG, complete with career progression and a raging galactic war, even allowing players to eventually get promoted up to the likes of being a Super Star Destroyer captain.

And, like any bleeding-edge MMORPG, it'd be free to play with micropayments.

It would have the best parts of gameplay from this:

And look like this:

Woem

May 28, 2009
Yup, we [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.122945] called it first!

Joeshie

Oct 9, 2007
If they do re-release it they better not dumb it down for consoletards like what recently happened with Battlefield 1943.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I'm not going to get my hopes up for this but I would LOVE to play another X-wing/Tie Fighter game. I really didn't get into the dumbed down Rogue Leader games, they were fine but they were mostly ground missions with insane time limits making the game more fast sure but it just bored me compared to X-wing and Tie Fighter. I might have to install Tie Fighter now, though the system requirements look a bit steep...
Pent 133
Ram 16mb
4x CD ROM drive?!?!
Direct X 4.2

Yo anyone got a 4x drive I can borrow? All I have is this reel to reel thing

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
My god if this game is released i will be as giddy as someone who is very giddy indeed, a schoolgirl perhaps...

Schlorgan

May 31, 2009
geldonyetich said:
Of course, the very best thing they could do is make a full fledged X-Wing Vs Tie Fighter MMORPG, complete with career progression and a raging galactic war, even allowing players to eventually get promoted up to the likes of being a Super Star Destroyer captain.

And, like any bleeding-edge MMORPG, it'd be free to play with micropayments.

It would have the best parts of gameplay from this:

And look like this:

Aw man, that'd be so dope!

ccdistancerunner

Sep 11, 2008
OH YES! I loved X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter, and Alliance! I've been wanting a new game for so long. I hope they make it great!

DrunkWithPower

Apr 17, 2009
MasterSqueak said:
SaintWaldo said:
My list of suggestions for LucasArts (unchanged since ~1997):

1. Release the original missions from both the X-Wing and TIE flight sim games in an updated engine.

2. Include a mission editor.

3. Update the engine on a biannual cycle.

4. Release quarterly mission packs.

5. Ignore pleas for online PvP, because XvT already proved that this creates a never-ending circle fight.

6. Heed pleas for online co-op missions.

7. Never make another type of Star Wars game, ever.

I'm almost positive this would create a near endless stream of revenue with which to fully revive the SCUMM genre proper. Not that I agree the world wants or needs to do so; simply because I have tremendous empathy for those who have expressed such desires.

They haven't listened so far, but maybe, juuuuuuust maybe, this time will be different.
I disagree on seven.

I want Battlefront III!
ninja'd on batllefront III, damnit all to hell!

Utarefson

Apr 15, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Red 5 standing by!

Just keep George away from it. Unless I can strap Jar-Jar to the turrets.
Why do people hate jar-jar?He's just as childish as these little bear-thingies in episode 6, and nobody seems to hate them...

Feb 13, 2008
Utarefson said:
Red 5 standing by!

Why do people hate jar-jar?He's just as childish as these little bear-thingies in episode 6, and nobody seems to hate them...
Well, Lordie Mister Utarefson, you ain't been knowing about those terrible folk he be a talkin' about.

Joe Morgenstern of Wall Street Journal described the character as a "Rastafarian Stepin Fetchit on platform hoofs, crossed annoyingly with Butterfly McQueen." Patricia J. Williams writes that many aspects of Jar Jar's character are highly reminiscent of the archetypes portrayed in blackface minstrelsy, while others have suggested that the character is a "laid-back clown character" representing a black Caribbean stereotype.
Along with film critics, many fans have also objected to what is perceived as excessive commercialization directed at young children in the Star Wars series (a criticism first levelled with the introduction of Ewoks).
You'd be surprised how much hatred is levelled at the Ewoks.

Given the film is about a boy's descent into darkness and the destruction of the Empire at his hands, do you think a "blackface" Mr. Bean character really fits well into that?
(See Short Round in Indiana Jones, Willie Nelson in Indiana Jones, Poochy in Itchy and Scratchy, Scrappy in Scooby Doo, Wesley in ST:TNG, Chiba USA in Sailor Moon)

Utarefson

Apr 15, 2009
Utarefson said:
Red 5 standing by!

Well, Lordie Mister Utarefson, you ain't been knowing about those terrible folk he be a talkin' about.

Joe Morgenstern of Wall Street Journal described the character as a "Rastafarian Stepin Fetchit on platform hoofs, crossed annoyingly with Butterfly McQueen." Patricia J. Williams writes that many aspects of Jar Jar's character are highly reminiscent of the archetypes portrayed in blackface minstrelsy, while others have suggested that the character is a "laid-back clown character" representing a black Caribbean stereotype.
Along with film critics, many fans have also objected to what is perceived as excessive commercialization directed at young children in the Star Wars series (a criticism first levelled with the introduction of Ewoks).
You'd be surprised how much hatred is levelled at the Ewoks.

Given the film is about a boy's descent into darkness and the destruction of the Empire at his hands, do you think a "blackface" Mr. Bean character really fits well into that?
(See Short Round in Indiana Jones, Willie Nelson in Indiana Jones, Poochy in Itchy and Scratchy, Scrappy in Scooby Doo, Wesley in ST:TNG, Chiba USA in Sailor Moon)
Okay, that explains it...
but i would've never thought of jar-jar as a "black carribean stereotype" and i still think the overall style of the star wars movies is quite bright, but you do have a valid point.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Please god, let it be so.

Utarefson said:
The Ewoks are cute and funny in a natural kind of way. Not by acting like stupid clowns.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
geldonyetich said:
As much as I appreciate you posting a Youtube video of TIE Fighter gameplay - and seriously, it was great to see, although it looked like the guy was playing with a mouse - your idea of making it an MMOG is beyond horrible.