Is LucasArts Planning the Return of TIE Fighter?

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Oh man. Oh man. Is it just me, or are all the good games from the turn of the century coming back? MechWarrior, Diablo, StarCraft, X-Wing and TIE Fighter. It's like someone in game development land is like "Hey, I've got an idea, let's just go through this bin of old games and make a sequel to whatever we find."

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
NoMoreSanity said:
I'd like a Remake, it looks like a fun game and I'm a total Star Wars whore.
Seconded. I love everything about Star Wars except for Jar Jar Binks and that god awful CG movie.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Doc Theta Sigma said:
NoMoreSanity said:
I'd like a Remake, it looks like a fun game and I'm a total Star Wars whore.
Seconded. I love everything about Star Wars except for Jar Jar Binks and that god awful CG movie.
What CG movie?

[small]I know what you're talking about, I just like to pretend it doesn't exist[/small]

The animated Clone Wars bit (not the CG movie, the stuff done by the guys who made Samurai Jack) was actually fairly decent and at times even quite good. The movie was what I like to call "the kind of shit even a cess pit couldn't love."

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Malygris said:
geldonyetich said:
Of course, the very best thing they could do is make a full fledged X-Wing Vs Tie Fighter MMORPG, complete with career progression and a raging galactic war, even allowing players to eventually get promoted up to the likes of being a Super Star Destroyer captain.
As much as I appreciate you posting a Youtube video of TIE Fighter gameplay - and seriously, it was great to see, although it looked like the guy was playing with a mouse - your idea of making it an MMOG is beyond horrible.
Only if it turns out to be a grind.

Seekster

May 28, 2008
If Tie Fighter and/or X-wing are remade then they would have to invent a new word to describe just how happy I would be. Hell id be happy if they just re-released the buggers for XP.

josh797

Nov 20, 2007
wow, im excited! we havent had a good space fighter since freespace, its about friggin time. this was my favorite game back in the day.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
If they can get Lawrence Holland back on this, or some apprentice of his, I will be very optimistic. I agree with doing the good ol missions redux, but the opportunity to do some post-trilogy EU storylines would be good, especially to give something in contrast to the upcoming Old Republic MMO.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Lucasarts, don't go to the prequels! *Gets on his knees and begs*

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
I remember playing this game a long time ago in a galaxy far far away, well my grandparents house actually. My infantile brain couldn't understand why anybody would want to play as the Empire and when I couldn't figure out what to do with a mission I figured that I was supposed to lose because the bad guys, they always lose.

Here is the Gametrailers retrospective: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-iv-star-wars/33339?type=flv. They sum up the game rather well.

Robert0288

Jun 10, 2008
Another good game you might want to look up is Starshatter. ( http://www.starshatter.com/screenshots.htm ) Though I can't wait for this and MW5

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
I'd be happy with a remake (same missions, controls etc with updated graphics) or a new game. All I ask is if they do, give us an oppotunity to captian the Capital Ships. Imagine 32 player battles with the players controlling everything from a TIE Fighter/X-Wing all the way up to a Mon Calamari Cruiser/Star Destroyer

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
awsome117 said:
SaintWaldo said:
7. Never make another type of Star Wars game, ever.
How could you not want another Republic Commando, or battlefield?
I'm starting from the basic premise that the non-space combat titles sapped resources from what is, in my opinion, the most faithful and direct encapsulation in a game experience the utter joy of watching the first 2 Star Wars releases in the theater. Sitting at the controls of an X-Wing and running at the Death Star, or protecting the Emperor's tiny shuttle from an entire fleet of traitor Star Destroyers were such direct transcendent moments for me that watching the franchise concentrate more on Doom clones, rail shooters and RTS half-starts and near-triumphs makes me think they could do with going back to the basic formula and sticking to it for a long time.

Since they've been off the path roughly 15 years, hey, I'll walk #7 back to just 15 years if it makes you more comfortable. They would still do a great service to the brand by concentrating on turning two of their greatest representatives into ongoing concerns rather than punching out another 1st/3rd shooter or RTS that isn't quite the definitive program for the genre. I'm pretty sure that when it comes to space combat sims, X-Wing/TIE beats even Wing Commander on any honest gamers checklist. It DEFINES the peak of the genre. They should take that to heart, stop following, and recapture their former leads: space combat sims and point-and-click adventures.

When they do, I'll be waiting for you all with open arms, each with a lime neon slap-braclet of course, because we'd surely be back in the 1990's. ;)

Strider_07

Aug 5, 2009
The moment my hands touch a copy of this, schoolgirlish giggling is guaranteed to ensue.

TheGreenManalishi

May 22, 2008
Amnestic said:
The animated Clone Wars bit (not the CG movie, the stuff done by the guys who made Samurai Jack) was actually fairly decent and at times even quite good. The movie was what I like to call "the kind of shit even a cess pit couldn't love."
I loved that series. It was better than the prequels put together. Lucas spots a good spin-off potential, nicks it, and shitifies it.

bladeofdarkness

Aug 6, 2009
god i hope this is true
TIE fighter remains to this day my absolute favorite simulator of all times
i would more then love a remake
but i would love even more if they remade the story and add more chapters after zarin's defeat

Arrakiv

Dec 17, 2005
The original X-Wing is directly responsible for me being a PC gamer. If this series came back to life... Oh it would be a dream come true - one that I've had for a decade now. It would be preferably more sim-like than XWA was and closer to the original three, and definitely XvT.

Space sims have largely died out, which really is a pain for me. They're one of my absolute favorite genres (if not my favorite), and definitely my favorite twitch-style game.