Is LucasArts Planning the Return of TIE Fighter?

not a zaar

Dec 16, 2008
Utarefson said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Red 5 standing by!

Just keep George away from it. Unless I can strap Jar-Jar to the turrets.
Why do people hate jar-jar?He's just as childish as these little bear-thingies in episode 6, and nobody seems to hate them...
As stupid as the Ewoks were, they were at least cute and did not have too much screentime. Jar Jar on the other hand was a 7 foot clumsy retarded clown who would not get out of the spotlight for the better part of two movies.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Utarefson said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Red 5 standing by!

Just keep George away from it. Unless I can strap Jar-Jar to the turrets.
Why do people hate jar-jar?He's just as childish as these little bear-thingies in episode 6, and nobody seems to hate them...
My dislike stems from his representation of the concept of 'success through greater stupidity', and as the prime example of the schizophrenic presentation of the story in the prequels.

Perhaps his character was originally intended to drive home the concept that even the most harmless, well-intentioned being can bring about a change that leads to great and terrible things (he used his position as acting representative to propose giving emergency powers to the Chancellor, thus firmly planting the seed of the Empire), but he was so caricatured that he had almost no sense of self-preservation and yet was put in a position of significant power. It could be that he was always intended as a slapstick comedy character, but then the concept becomes "you put idiots in charge, and you deserve what you get", which is less tragic and more 'duh'.

So he's either a compromise or a casualty of the two major driving forces that seem to be behind the resultant story; those being:
1) tell the story of the fall of Anakin and the Republic
2) appeal to a younger audience

There may have been a way to pull both off really well, but in my opinion 1) was sacrificed needlessly for 2).

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
As long as it LOOKS like Rogue Squadron but PLAYS exactly like X-Wing and TIE Fighter and SOUNDS like the Collector's Edition from 1995 with the event-sensitive music shifts, it would be fantastic.

ESPECIALLY if they did that Monkey Island remake trick where you can swap instantly at any time between the original graphics and the updated ones.

SaintWaldo said:
7. Never make another type of Star Wars game, ever.
I agree with pretty much everything you said, though I'd be willing to give Battlefront 3 ONE last try in a world where TIE Fighter and X Wing have been re-released and are making waves. If they learn from the older, better games and incorporate it, then maybe Star Wars games can be saved. If not, bust.