Is LucasArts Planning the Return of TIE Fighter?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Is LucasArts Planning the Return of TIE Fighter?

LucasArts [http://www.lucasarts.com/] has dropped a hint that X-Wing and TIE Fighter, two of the finest space combat sims ever made, could be staging a comeback.

Back in the early 90s, when DOS was king and TIE Fighter [http://www.starwars.com], which was remarkable not only as a space sim but also for the way it was able to portray the Empire and its soldiers and pilots in a sympathetic light without turning everything laughably emo.

But there's been precious little since. The decent X-Wing Alliance [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Wing_vs_TIE_Fighter], launched two years later, was more warmly received but for one reason or another it marked the end of the Stars Wars space combat sims.

But maybe not forever. Based on the G4tv.com [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93538-Tales-of-Monkey-Island-Telltales-Best-Performing-Title] asked LucasArts President Darrell Rodriguez what he thought about the possibility of a similar treatment for the storied starfighter games. Surprisingly, Rodriguez did not dismiss the question outright but instead hinted that plans could already be in the works.

"We don't have any announcements now, but stay tuned," he said. "We will soon..."

Ominous - just like that guy from the Emperor's Inner Circle who wants you to do all that weird stuff while you're out fighting the Rebellion. But it's also very promising, if there's any truth to it. Redoing the Monkey Island games is great but it's the thought of hopping back into the cockpit of an X-Wing or TIE Fighter that really gets my joystick swinging. You can bet we'll be keeping an eye on this one.

not a zaar

Dec 16, 2008
The space sim genre is long overdue for a comeback, this is nice to hear. As long as it doesn't get horribly "streamlined" for consoles that is.

MalthusX

Jan 15, 2009
I've been an atheist for years. If these games return, it will be prove that there IS, indeed, a God.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Oh, AWESOME.

Malygris said:
Redoing the Monkey Island games is great but it's the thought of hopping back into the cockpit of an X-Wing or TIE Fighter that really gets my joystick swinging.
TMI, Andy.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Dollars to donuts, it turns out to be another Rogue Squadron [http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/star-wars-rogue-squadron-series] game.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
My list of suggestions for LucasArts (unchanged since ~1997):

1. Release the original missions from both the X-Wing and TIE flight sim games in an updated engine.

2. Include a mission editor.

3. Update the engine on a biannual cycle.

4. Release quarterly mission packs.

5. Ignore pleas for online PvP, because XvT already proved that this creates a never-ending circle fight.

6. Heed pleas for online co-op missions.

7. Never make another type of Star Wars game, ever.

I'm almost positive this would create a near endless stream of revenue with which to fully revive the SCUMM genre proper. Not that I agree the world wants or needs to do so; simply because I have tremendous empathy for those who have expressed such desires.

They haven't listened so far, but maybe, juuuuuuust maybe, this time will be different.

teutonicman

Mar 30, 2009
Though when I read this article I admit I got a little optimistic..... however I immediately crushed it when I remembered how much they cock-up TFU.

orangebandguy

Elite Member
Jan 9, 2009
Yes, the distinctive wail of incoming masses of TIE Fighters! I'll never ever forget the sound.

MorteSphere

Jul 8, 2009
I'd still be playing it, if it didn't require a Joystick. I have a hard copy in a drawer here. Great game. I love it.

MasterSqueak

May 10, 2009
SaintWaldo said:
My list of suggestions for LucasArts (unchanged since ~1997):

1. Release the original missions from both the X-Wing and TIE flight sim games in an updated engine.

2. Include a mission editor.

3. Update the engine on a biannual cycle.

4. Release quarterly mission packs.

5. Ignore pleas for online PvP, because XvT already proved that this creates a never-ending circle fight.

6. Heed pleas for online co-op missions.

7. Never make another type of Star Wars game, ever.

I'm almost positive this would create a near endless stream of revenue with which to fully revive the SCUMM genre proper. Not that I agree the world wants or needs to do so; simply because I have tremendous empathy for those who have expressed such desires.

They haven't listened so far, but maybe, juuuuuuust maybe, this time will be different.
I disagree on seven.

I want Battlefront III!

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Now I've got the music stuck in my head. I loved how it would change based upon battlefield events so you knew when the next wave of enemy fighters had appeared, or when your friendly reinforcements arrived.

shifty89

Jul 21, 2009
"ITS A TRAP!"

seriously though, there was no other game i played so much. Aside from wing commander, which sorely needs a big fat remake aswell, x wing was THE best space Sim ever released.

please oh please bring it back!!

Strategia

za Rodina, tovarishchii
Mar 21, 2008
Malygris said:
Redoing the Monkey Island games is great but it's the thought of hopping back into the cockpit of an X-Wing or TIE Fighter that really gets my joystick swinging.
Hey, kids read The Escapist too! Aren't there rules against this? :p

On topic, that is seriously awesome. I came along too late to enjoy the heyday of good Star Wars games (matter of fact, the only SW games physically in my collection are Dark Forces 2 and Galactic Battlegrounds), but seeing as I do like the franchise, I'll be looking forward to this.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
As much as I agree that remakes hardly ever live up to the nostalgic sheen we often place on favorite games, I'd like to think that revisions of X-Wing or TIE Fighter wouldn't be full of wooden characters devoid of personality that deliver lines tied to concepts that completely molest memories from our formative years.

Lucas has done that enough already.