Is Mafia now last hope for Third person games?

B-cell

Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Hello friends,

No Caption Provided
So we have seen that many of third person games become bland in years and we have not gotten engaging third person action/shooter game since Max payne 3 (not counting Hitman as its stealth game). some become cover based gears clones, and some become cinematic movie games and if not involving guns then they are AC/Batman clones.

Enter Mafia, one of the best game ever made due to how immersive game was, how atmospheric it was and how amazing its story was. to this day no third person game surpassed it. game was hard and brutal and having no hand holding and thats why its above todays third person games like assassisns creed, last of us and uncharted. and it was also better than GTA in ever single way.

Now its remake coming out in few month and it remain to be seen if they nail it or ruined it as a result I believe this game is now our last hope for Good third person game.

by the look of screenshot it seem like they nail it but maybe gameplay wise they put mafia 3 elements to ruined it. but if they make it atleast like Mafia 2 but with Mafia 1 story, missions, characters. i would still be happy. part of me think that majority of time Remakes are better than actual games but remastered tend to be cashgrab ie worse.

So my friends, Do we believe this game is now last hope for third person action games? lets discuss

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Yeah, no. Third person games is far too broad, and there's been no shortage of good third person games in recent times. Also, even if that was the case, you're talking about a remaster, so it's not going to "save" anything.

B-cell

Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Yeah, no. Third person games is far too broad, and there's been no shortage of good third person games in recent times. Also, even if that was the case, you're talking about a remaster, so it's not going to "save" anything.
Mafia 1 is full fledge remake actually.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
The third person action game is in need of saving? Why?

I mean, Platinum and From Software are still around, doing their thing. Capcom's been doing a great job these last few years. Didn't play, but by all accounts Control seems pretty damn solid. And those are just the first 3 things that came to mind. So, nah, the third person action game is doing fine. Now, I know you actually mean third person shooter, but I feel like ignoring that.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Adam Jensen

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
A bit overly dramatic, ain't it? A third person shooter is literally the top grossing entertainment product ever made. I'm talking about GTA V, of course. Then there's Red Dead Redemption 2, new Tomb Raider games, Uncharted series, The Last of Us, Saints Row (new one is in development), Ghost Recon games (Wildlands was pretty fun on higher difficulties), Just Cause, etc. There's plenty of good third person shooters around. Mafia 1 isn't special in this regard. It wasn't special back in the day if we're talking about the actual shooting mechanics. Combat in Mafia 1 was one of the worst aspects of the game and it's not what the game is remembered for.

Enter Mafia, one of the best game ever made due to how immersive game was, how atmospheric it was and how amazing its story was. to this day no third person game surpassed it.
Mafia 2 surpassed it.

game was hard and brutal and having no hand holding and thats why its above todays third person games like assassisns creed, last of us and uncharted.
It wasn't hard because it was challenging. It was hard because it was unintuitive. Combat was very poorly designed. So if you're counting on Mafia remake to save your vision of what a third person game should be, you'll be disappointed because the remake will undoubtedly employ modern game design.

and it was also better than GTA in ever single way.
Why would you compare it to GTA when it didn't even compete with GTA? It was a different experience entirely. Not better and not worse. Just different.

Last edited:

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Slightly clickbait level headline reads: Is MAFIA the last hope for 3rd person games?! Click here to find out why!
Article reads: I forgot about nearly every other 3rd person game that came out the past 2 generations, and the ones that did don't count.

Can the new V2 forums put the brakes on threads like this too while we're at it? I don't think there's much room for discussion when entering a "My favourite games are the last bastion of hope and everything else new and old is shit" type thread

Last edited:

B-cell

Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
A bit overly dramatic, ain't it? A third person shooter is literally the top grossing entertainment product ever made. I'm talking about GTA V, of course. Then there's Red Dead Redemption 2, new Tomb Raider games, Uncharted series, The Last of Us, Saints Row (new one is in development), Ghost Recon games (Wildlands was pretty fun on higher difficulties), Just Cause, etc. There's plenty of good third person shooters around. Mafia 1 isn't special in this regard. It wasn't special back in the day if we're talking about the actual shooting mechanics. Combat in Mafia 1 was one of the worst aspects of the game and it's not what the game is remembered for.

Mafia 2 surpassed it.

It wasn't hard because it was challenging. It was hard because it was unintuitive. Combat was very poorly designed. So if you're counting on Mafia remake to save your vision of what a third person game should be, you'll be disappointed because the remake will undoubtedly employ modern game design.

Why would you compare it to GTA when it didn't even compete with GTA? It was a different experience entirely. Not better and not worse. Just different.
1. Might be highest grossing genre but most of these games are mediocre. like i explain in OP. they either become cover based shooter or cinematic games with QTE. i have not enjoyed them in years.

2. Mafia 2 was inferior to Original in ever way and pretty much everyone prefer original game. Mafia 2 story is uninteresting compare to oscar worthy story of Mafia 1. Vito scalleta is tool who do anything his fat friend told him where as Tommy angelo is one of the best ever written character in game and his journey as cab driver to Mafia member to a one who let entire gang arrested at the end is simply amazing. further more Mafia 2 gameplay gotten more GTAised as it has more long travelling form point A to point B and then cover shooting plus money system. I like Mafia 2 but original is masterpiece.

3. Yeah like i said if Remake has atleast Mafia 2 gameplay, i would be happy but if its Mafia 3 starting tommy angelo. then i will be disappointed.

Last edited:

B-cell

Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Dark Souls et al didn't happen? DarkSouls-like hasn't entered gamer lexicography and I'm hearing it wrong?

OK, I'll crawl back to my cave.
my point towards third person action games mostly shooters

Dark soul is RPG. although i may never care about it but still.

Adam Jensen

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Mafia 2 story is uninteresting compare to oscar worthy story of Mafia 1.
The story of Mafia 1 seems cool on the surface and it seems cool to children. I know because I used to be a kid and I used to glorify Mafia. Until I played it again last year. It doesn't hold up very well at all. It is not just my subjective opinion, it is an undeniable fact that the story of Mafia 2 is much better written and much more mature than the story of Mafia 1. How we feel about the protagonist is irrelevant. Personally, I don't like Vito as much as I like Tommy, but we're not supposed to like Vito very much. He was not written to be likable. But that was never the point. Vito as a character makes a lot more sense than Tommy ever did, and Vito's life as a mobster makes a lot more sense than Tommy's mobster life. The racing mission alone kills any immersion whatsoever. It's simply not something that could ever happen.

Also, nobody becomes a mobster because they know how to drive a cab really well and the Mafia had an open position for a driver. Having the stomach to commit crimes and to keep your mouth shut when you get caught, like Vito, is exactly what crime bosses want out of their subordinates. Vito's journey and his motivations for being a part of that life is a lot more realistic and far more interesting than Tommy's. The fact that Vito was trained to kill in the war, which made him a good fit for that line of work is not just something that was made up, it's literally what happened to a lot of people back in those days.

Mafia 1 told a story that could and would never happen, whereas Mafia 2 told a story that could have happened. It's still overly dramatic at times, with blowing up the hotel and whatnot, but it's a video game and no video game can be 100% realistic. But Mafia 2 came as close as possible.

All in all, Mafia 1 was awesome when it was first released, but it pales in comparison to Mafia 2 in every single aspect except for one. The only thing that Mafia 1 does better, IMO, is the reloading of weapons. I thought that it was very cool that you would lose bullets if you were to reload before emptying the magazine.

Last edited:

B-cell

Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
The story of Mafia 1 seems cool on the surface and it seems cool to children. I know because I used to be a kid and I used to glorify Mafia. Until I played it again last year. It doesn't hold up very well at all. It is not just my subjective opinion, it is an undeniable fact that the story of Mafia 2 is much better written and much more mature than the story of Mafia 1. How we feel about the protagonist is irrelevant. Personally, I don't like Vito as much as I like Tommy, but we're not supposed to like Vito very much. He was not written to be likable. But that was never the point. Vito as a character makes a lot more sense than Tommy ever did, and Vito's life as a mobster makes a lot more sense than Tommy's mobster life. The racing mission alone kills any immersion whatsoever. It's simply not something that could ever happen.

Also, nobody becomes a mobster because they know how to drive a cab really well and the Mafia had an open position for a driver. Having the stomach to commit crimes and to keep your mouth shut when you get caught, like Vito, is exactly what crime bosses want out of their subordinates. Vito's journey and his motivations for being a part of that life is a lot more realistic and far more interesting than Tommy's. The fact that Vito was trained to kill in the war, which made him a good fit for that line of work is not just something that was made up, it's literally what happened to a lot of people back in those days.

Mafia 1 told a story that could and would never happen, whereas Mafia 2 told a story that could have happened. It's still overly dramatic at times, with blowing up the hotel and whatnot, but it's a video game and no video game can be 100% realistic. But Mafia 2 came as close as possible.

All in all, Mafia 1 was awesome when it was first released, but it pales in comparison to Mafia 2 in every single aspect except for one. The only thing that Mafia 1 does better, IMO, is the reloading of weapons. I thought that it was very cool that you would lose bullets if you were to reload before emptying the magazine.
Actually they did tried to make Vito likable but he end up being Tool.

Tommy angelo is Mafia with heart, he refuse to kill innocents, He didnot killed his wife best friend, He didnot killed frank and help him left country and potray his as deadman to Don, He let entire Gang arrested by the end of game and thats why in the end he was killed and the fact that
its Vito and joe killed tommy make them just
... arghh

Tommy angelo is perfect anti hero character. He is not good but he is not bad guy. he did because he had no choice.

Adam Jensen

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Actually they did tried to make Vito likable but he end up being Tool.
No, they didn't. In fact, it seems like the writers tried to make Joe more likable on purpose. Which makes perfect sense because the only way that the player can truly feel bad for Joe at the end is if they like him more than Vito. After Vito's house gets burned down, Joe says something along the lines of "it's just stuff" to which Vito replies that his stuff is the reason why he does what he does. That line is a sure way to make a character unlikable. Also, when Henry gets killed, Joe is far more disturbed about it while Vito is the one who says "the money is gone too". He's not entirely unredeemable though. When he finds out that Papalardo killed his father he instantly turns on him regardless of the consequences, and he tries to save Leo after Henry is sent to whack him. He also tries to help his mother and his sister when they need help.

All these things make Vito far more realistic as a character. Most organized crime figures do what they do because of power and money. Not because they had no other choice. Compared to Vito, Tommy is a one-dimensional character. Like a lot of video game characters, he's nothing more than the victim of his circumstances. Sometimes that's enough, but in a game about organized crime, you need more.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
A lot of games these days seem to have both first- and third- person perspectives. I think it's a bit soon to say the third person is finished.

I'm not a big fan of them, personally. I played PUBG for a while, and whilst you can play first person, you put yorself at a disdvantage because your field of vision is so much more limited.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Dark soul is RPG. although i may never care about it but still.
Well, action games with RPG elements. But either way, they're in third person, which is all you specified.

Did you just mean third-person shooters?