Is Nintendo Back? Company Reports Unexpected Profits

Sep 14, 2009
144 said:
gmaverick019 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
I took "Nintendo is back" as "Nintendo is back from losing money". Or not making as much as they would've liked anyway.
Eh all they have to do is make pokemon 12 platinum vibranium edition and possibly innovate it with a couple new sprites, maybe a new boss, and they'll be back in black in no time.

(before anyone quotes me baffled by what I just said, I KNOW they change a ton in the deeper game mechanics and metagame, but that doesn't change the fact that on the surface pokemon games change/do anything different at an absolute snails pace while gobbling up dumptrucks of money with each game.)
In spite of your disclaimer, even worse is that you use the phrase "maybe a new boss." If you don't know what you're talking about, maybe quiet observation is the place for you.
oh right, because it's not like I haven't played most if not all the pokemon games dozens of times.
(this includes all the dungeon,pinball,puzzle,snap,trading card, etc.. games)
*eye roll*

k, I'll remember to check my opinion with the nintendo defense force before I post next time.

maybe "judgemental as fuck"viridian city is the place for you.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
gmaverick019 said:
144 said:
gmaverick019 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
I took "Nintendo is back" as "Nintendo is back from losing money". Or not making as much as they would've liked anyway.
Eh all they have to do is make pokemon 12 platinum vibranium edition and possibly innovate it with a couple new sprites, maybe a new boss, and they'll be back in black in no time.

(before anyone quotes me baffled by what I just said, I KNOW they change a ton in the deeper game mechanics and metagame, but that doesn't change the fact that on the surface pokemon games change/do anything different at an absolute snails pace while gobbling up dumptrucks of money with each game.)
In spite of your disclaimer, even worse is that you use the phrase "maybe a new boss." If you don't know what you're talking about, maybe quiet observation is the place for you.
oh right, because it's not like I haven't played most if not all the pokemon games dozens of times.
(this includes all the dungeon,pinball,puzzle,snap,trading card, etc.. games)
*eye roll*

k, I'll remember to check my opinion with the nintendo defense force before I post next time.

maybe "judgemental as fuck"viridian city is the place for you.
Huh. Okay, Mr. Credentials. You sound super experienced.

My judgement was that your "boss" quote was the sort of statement one wouldn't make in reference to Pokemon unless he either didn't know the game, or was stupid. I gave you the benefit of the doubt with the former assumption. But your ranting, unfocused and unnecessarily defensive response may be steering me otherwise.

But there's still hope!

You could defend your boss quote, and explain why it makes sense or clarify its meaning. Otherwise I'll continue being judgemental.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
Whatislove said:
144 said:
Whatislove said:
Just a friendly reminder that Nintendo has sold more Wii U consoles than Microsoft has sold Xbox Ones.

Hardware sales were/are slow, but they do pick up with big game launches. If ~7.3m consoles is abysmal then Microsoft must really be in trouble with only 5.5m Xbone sales.

The Wii U has more on the table in the not-too-distant future than the Xbone and PS4 do as well, It doesn't seem to be stopping the PS4 sales though (mine's been collecting dust since I finished infamous second son :/).

The Xbox One is likely sold at a loss, the PS4 sells for a small profit, and as is traditional Nintendo style, the Wii U sells for a profit. I never had any doubts Nintendo would "turn it around", not that I thought operating at a loss for such a short time was a bad thing anyway.

Nintendo's first ever operating loss was in 2012, their second ever in 2013.

Microsoft's gaming division operated at huge losses for 8 straight years from the year 2000; and Sony operated at losses ranging from half a billion to more than 1 billion for 4 years from 2006.

Nintendo's losses have been minuscule in comparison to others in the industry, $220 million in 2012, which is the lowest ever reported loss from any of the 3 big companies apart from Sony in 1995 who lost $93 million, and then under $500 million for 2013. These were far from worrying figures for an $18.4 billion dollar company (Sony is only worth $17.7 billion).

All the ludicrous Nintendo is doomed talk over the last few years has really been blown out of proportion... even if things continued on that 2 year "trend" (which obviously hasn't happened), we would be at least 10 years off seeing Nintendo die/turn into Sega.

TL;DR Companies are allowed to report losses, it happens, it happens all the time. Reporting losses for 2 years isn't the end of the world. If Nintendo's Wii U sales are "abysmal" then the Xbox One's sales must be truly in the shit. Nintendo has more big releases in the holiday period and early 2015 than either the PS4/X1 to help boost sales, and above all else, the 3DS is still the best selling console (not just out of handhelds).
Ok, but that's not good either. If you're a Nintendo fan, be happy when Nintendo does well. But don't be happy when Microsoft doesn't - we want "gaming" to be healthy. It's just as obnoxious to be spouting gloom now for MS as it was when people were doing it for Nintendo.
Where was I spouting doom for MS?

I said that MS operated at huge losses for 8 years in a row and they are still around, I was using at the prime example for the reason Nintendo wasn't in any real trouble.

I also said that Nintendo has sold more Wii U consoles than MS had sold Xbox One consoles, but that was just simply fact, and I use that statement to reiterate that the Wii U sales are not that bad, and if they are considered abysmal, then why is the X1 considered a success (at this point in time)?

I never once said MS were headed for doom, or that they were in trouble, and I certainly didn't mean for my post to be portrayed that way.

P.S I'm not an anyone fan, I have a PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Xbox 360, Gamecube, Wii U, 3DS XL, and a gaming PC. I don't discriminate, there should be an Xbox One added to the collection at some point before christmas.
First of all, as I implied to gmaverick019 above, listing your credentials means nothing. It's the same as wearing a black belt you bought from a costume store. A martial artist can fight in any outfit, and if your argument is good, it'll stand on its own. Watch this: I have every console. Are my arguments better now? Do you think I'm telling the truth? And if you really do own every console, show it by being knowledgeable when you speak.

Second: the phrasing of your post led me to my conclusions regarding your intentions. I also think there are a variety of stats that you haven't cited (I don't think nefariously) that would tell a more full story. The earlier lightknight post takes care of that, though.

Sep 14, 2009
144 said:

My judgement was that your "boss" quote was the sort of statement one wouldn't make in reference to Pokemon unless he either didn't know the game, or was stupid. I gave you the benefit of the doubt with the former assumption. But your ranting, unfocused and unnecessarily defensive response may be steering me otherwise.

But there's still hope!

You could defend your boss quote, and explain why it makes sense or clarify its meaning. Otherwise I'll continue being judgemental.
I apologize for being extra snappy and condescending this morning, was quite unnecessary.

I used boss sparingly as a generalized term, as it can cover a gym leader, "team" leader(rocket/magma/galactic/flare/etc..), part of the elite four, or perhaps a new challenger of sorts, such as mewtwo gathering all the cloned pokemon and being their leader as such.

But if you want to get ultra critical about me using "boss" instead of any of the terms above, then I apologize to the nintendo defense force and you can take my pokemon card, since I obviously don't know what I'm talking about.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
gmaverick019 said:
144 said:

But there's still hope!

I apologize for being extra snappy and condescending this morning, was quite unnecessary.

I used boss sparingly as a generalized term, as it can cover a gym leader, "team" leader(rocket/magma/galactic/flare/etc..), part of the elite four, or perhaps a new challenger of sorts, such as mewtwo gathering all the cloned pokemon and being their leader as such.

But if you want to get ultra critical about me using "boss" instead of any of the terms above, then I apologize to the nintendo defense force and you can take my pokemon card, since I obviously don't know what I'm talking about.
Fair enough. I've never heard anyone refer to bosses in those games, save for the antagonists in Colosseum. But you can keep your cards. You'll need them to get into our NDF meetings.

Sep 14, 2009
144 said:
gmaverick019 said:
144 said:

But there's still hope!

Fair enough. I've never heard anyone refer to bosses in those games, save for the antagonists in Colosseum. But you can keep your cards. You'll need them to get into our NDF meetings.
I was HUGEEEE into pokemon growing up, so me being frustrated with nintendo is more of a disappointment rather than anything else, I mean to this day and we STILL don't have a proper console version of pokemon? (pokemon colusseum for the gamecube wasn't a half bad attempt, but they can do better) you can't tell me that wouldn't have tsunami levels of cash tidal waving into nintendo's war chest.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
CrystalShadow said:
No-one goes around predicting Sony's imminent demise, do they now?
It's far more likely than Nintendo collapsing overnight, but it doesn't really get mentioned much... XD
Actually they have been, what with all the news of Sony being in a lot of hot water.

The difference being that whenever Sony (or Microsoft for that matter) gets criticized for going down the drain, there's no hardcore fans playing the victim and acting like it's everyone else's fault. That somehow only seems reserved for Nintendo.
Perhaps... But other companies also don't have a bunch of people attacking them for no good reason about all kinds of nonsense.
Look at some of the critisism Nintendo gets, then think about how rarely other companies get dissed for doing the same thing...

Anyway, I doubt the critics have much to go on. People have been predicting the downfall of Nintendo even when they were hugely profitable.
(They've also managed to be blind to what the success of the game boy meant when their home console was supposedly 'failing'. Because being profitable is 'failure' if you aren't 'winning' the console wars...)

It's like talking about Nintendo brings about the least rational arguments going from everyone involved...

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Evonisia said:
Sonicron said:
Their finances are actually improving...?

Must be that WiiU I bought a few weeks back.
This. Once Nintendo actually released some damn things for the Wii U, people bought it. Case in point: This guy, and I myself got a Wii U last month.
You guys need to join the "WiiU Online Multiplayer" user group on this site then to expand the friendslist on the console and game some Bayonetta2 TagTeam :D

On Topic:
I never thought Nintendo would fail. I bought a WiiU at launch and I can't remember when I have gamed this much in two years before. It has to go back to my Warcraft III days, which was a long time ago!

The biggest thing for me is that I had no Xbox360/PS3 so all the ports at launch: Batman, DeusEx, Darksider etc were new games for me. So I got a pretty big starting library for my WiiU and then I had a backlog from the Wii, and since the console is backwards compatible that was sorted out right there.
So everyone who buys a WiiU and hasn't has a Wii: = Xenoblade, TheLast Story, Muramasa, Okami, Zelda TP/SS, RedSteel etc.

Nintendo should've made more games earlier, they are 1 year late and Nintys marketing of the console was shit.
But now Hyrule W., MarioKart and Bayonetta has boost console sales, which means people will also buy games they've heard are good like Wonderful, ZombiU and Pikmin3. The Eshop is absolutely fantastic (old FireEmblem game(s) for example!)and in the coming year we have stuff like SmashBros, Splat00n, Xenoblade and a new Zelda (which apparently will be OPEN WORLD!!!!!!) coming, which will just boost more sales. There are rumours of StarFox and Metroid, and many people want new titles to old "forgotten" series like F-Zero and Kid Icarus, maybe Nintendo will listen.

Nintendo ain't dead, and they won't be, pull a few more Bayonetta stunts and keep a steayd flow of games coming and they will do like they always have, good and well and got nothing to worry about.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
144 said:
Whatislove said:
144 said:
Whatislove said:
Just a friendly reminder that Nintendo has sold more Wii U consoles than Microsoft has sold Xbox Ones.

Hardware sales were/are slow, but they do pick up with big game launches. If ~7.3m consoles is abysmal then Microsoft must really be in trouble with only 5.5m Xbone sales.

The Wii U has more on the table in the not-too-distant future than the Xbone and PS4 do as well, It doesn't seem to be stopping the PS4 sales though (mine's been collecting dust since I finished infamous second son :/).

The Xbox One is likely sold at a loss, the PS4 sells for a small profit, and as is traditional Nintendo style, the Wii U sells for a profit. I never had any doubts Nintendo would "turn it around", not that I thought operating at a loss for such a short time was a bad thing anyway.

Nintendo's first ever operating loss was in 2012, their second ever in 2013.

Microsoft's gaming division operated at huge losses for 8 straight years from the year 2000; and Sony operated at losses ranging from half a billion to more than 1 billion for 4 years from 2006.

Nintendo's losses have been minuscule in comparison to others in the industry, $220 million in 2012, which is the lowest ever reported loss from any of the 3 big companies apart from Sony in 1995 who lost $93 million, and then under $500 million for 2013. These were far from worrying figures for an $18.4 billion dollar company (Sony is only worth $17.7 billion).

All the ludicrous Nintendo is doomed talk over the last few years has really been blown out of proportion... even if things continued on that 2 year "trend" (which obviously hasn't happened), we would be at least 10 years off seeing Nintendo die/turn into Sega.

TL;DR Companies are allowed to report losses, it happens, it happens all the time. Reporting losses for 2 years isn't the end of the world. If Nintendo's Wii U sales are "abysmal" then the Xbox One's sales must be truly in the shit. Nintendo has more big releases in the holiday period and early 2015 than either the PS4/X1 to help boost sales, and above all else, the 3DS is still the best selling console (not just out of handhelds).
Ok, but that's not good either. If you're a Nintendo fan, be happy when Nintendo does well. But don't be happy when Microsoft doesn't - we want "gaming" to be healthy. It's just as obnoxious to be spouting gloom now for MS as it was when people were doing it for Nintendo.
Where was I spouting doom for MS?

I said that MS operated at huge losses for 8 years in a row and they are still around, I was using at the prime example for the reason Nintendo wasn't in any real trouble.

I also said that Nintendo has sold more Wii U consoles than MS had sold Xbox One consoles, but that was just simply fact, and I use that statement to reiterate that the Wii U sales are not that bad, and if they are considered abysmal, then why is the X1 considered a success (at this point in time)?

I never once said MS were headed for doom, or that they were in trouble, and I certainly didn't mean for my post to be portrayed that way.

P.S I'm not an anyone fan, I have a PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Xbox 360, Gamecube, Wii U, 3DS XL, and a gaming PC. I don't discriminate, there should be an Xbox One added to the collection at some point before christmas.
First of all, as I implied to gmaverick019 above, listing your credentials means nothing. It's the same as wearing a black belt you bought from a costume store. A martial artist can fight in any outfit, and if your argument is good, it'll stand on its own. Watch this: I have every console. Are my arguments better now? Do you think I'm telling the truth? And if you really do own every console, show it by being knowledgeable when you speak.

Second: the phrasing of your post led me to my conclusions regarding your intentions. I also think there are a variety of stats that you haven't cited (I don't think nefariously) that would tell a more full story. The earlier lightknight post takes care of that, though.
Dude.. what is wrong with you?

Twice now you have basically personally attacked me for no reason...

You assumed (wrongly) that I said Microsoft would fail (or that I wanted it to fail?), even though I said nothing of the sort, in fact, I was using Microsoft's success despite their initial financial setbacks as an example for why a company can report losses a few years in a row and not be "doomed".

I used factual console sales to gently remind people that the Wii U console sales are not that bad, it is usually the primary argument for "doomsayers" of Nintendo, but they aren't in third place, Microsoft is currently in third place... but it's not a bad third place. 7.3 million and 5.5 million consoles respectively is far from a failure this early in to the generation (though the Wii U has been in this generation for longer).

What stats have I not cited?
There was no need to cite any other stats because I wasn't damning another company, I wasn't saying any company was in trouble, I was using industry figures from a variety of companies to show that operating at losses (sometimes significantly large ones) isn't the end of the world.

Was I supposed to mention that Microsoft made money during those periods from other sources? Does it matter? Big companies like Microsoft would not keep a one billion dollar a year drain on their finances if they didn't think they could turn it around and make it profitable, which they did, and they are now in a good spot.

I even mentioned that Sony (the company as a whole, not just the gaming division) is worth less than Nintendo, and as far as finances go, Sony are in worse shape than Nintendo, and much worse off than Microsoft (who are easily the most financially stable)... but you didn't accuse me of damning Sony (which would be nonsensical anyway considering I've defended their financial stance in other threads on a number of occasions).

Literally the only thing I was saying in my first post was Nintendo doom talk was way too premature and, based on industry numbers and financials from the last 20 years, reporting losses for a relatively short period of time is not something to get too worried about; other companies (and divisions of companies) have been in worse spots before and have managed to completely turn it around.

If you are referring to the sentence: "The Xbox One is likely sold at a loss, the PS4 sells for a small profit, and as is traditional Nintendo style, the Wii U sells for a profit" as some kind of negative for Microsoft, then you have completely misinterpreted the sentence.
It's all but confirmed that the Xbox One console costs Microsoft more than they sell it to us for, so it is selling at a loss, this is not a bad thing and certainly not out of the ordinary for the industry... the PS3 sold at a loss for the majority of it's life cycle.
Sony confirmed that the PS4 is sold for a very small profit ($18 per console) after speculations they were selling it at a loss.
Nintendo rarely sell their hardware at a loss, because they are a different type of company, they don't have finances from other divisions to offset selling hardware at a loss.

To touch on 1), I wasn't listing my credentials... if I wanted to do that I would have mentioned my current job position, but I didn't, because although fairly relevant to the topic at hand, it isn't pertinent. I wasn't listing my consoles to bolster an argument that doesn't exist (I literally have no idea what argument you think I am trying to make here...), You passive aggressively accused me of being a Nintendo fan, all I was trying to tell you was that I was a gaming fan. Hell, if I was going to pick a "favourite" company, it would be Sony... Sony platforms are the home of most of my favourite games.

I would just as quickly defend any of the 3 company's positions and financials (and I have in the case of Sony, Microsoft has never needed such a defense because their position has always been a good one, even when it looked like it's gaming division wasn't in a good one), and I would most likely use much of the same stats and numbers that I used in my original post to defend either Sony or MS if there was ever a need in the future.

I really don't know what I have done to offend you so personally, especially after not even coming close to doing what you originally accused me of, which was spouting doom for MS.

Literally the only thing I was trying to say in my first was post was that Nintendo was not headed for doom just because they reported losses for two years. That's it, that's all I was saying.

I was NOT saying "MS is headed for doom", "X company is headed for doom", "I hate X company", "X company is in a bad position".

If you really feel I have neglected to say something, or if you could point me specifically to the part where you think I said Microsoft was headed for doom, I would be more than happy to clear the air.

P.S "And if you really do own every console, show it by being knowledgeable when you speak."
I'm not quite sure how I wasn't being knowledgeable, none of what I said was false, and some of the things I said are not common knowledge, even among gamers, which is why I said them.

P.P.S "And if you really do own every console, show it by being knowledgeable when you speak."
[http://s859.photobucket.com/user/TheSource1991/media/20141103_232118_zpse22d324e.jpg.html]
[http://s859.photobucket.com/user/TheSource1991/media/20141103_232401_zpse7319315.jpg.html]

The only thing not pictured is my Gamecube, because I don't play it that often. This doesn't mean my "arguments" mean more now, whatever "arguments" you think I was trying to make, and I would never claim it would somehow bolster my non-existent arguments, but it should appease your worries that I am some nefarious Nintendo fanboy.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Whatislove said:
P.P.S "And if you really do own every console, show it by being knowledgeable when you speak."
[http://s859.photobucket.com/user/TheSource1991/media/20141103_232118_zpse22d324e.jpg.html]
[http://s859.photobucket.com/user/TheSource1991/media/20141103_232401_zpse7319315.jpg.html]

The only thing not pictured is my Gamecube, because I don't play it that often. This doesn't mean my "arguments" mean more now, whatever "arguments" you think I was trying to make, and I would never claim it would somehow bolster my non-existent arguments, but it should appease your worries that I am some nefarious Nintendo fanboy.
Sorry to interrupt this argument, but I just wanted to say I love your setup. 3 questions:

What kind of TV is that?

What are the specs for your PC?

Where can I get a case like that?

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
marioandsonic said:
Sorry to interrupt this argument, but I just wanted to say I love your setup. 3 questions:

What kind of TV is that?

What are the specs for your PC?

Where can I get a case like that?
No problem, I was kind of over having to prove that I didn't imply what I didn't say anyway :)

The TV is a Samsung 55HU9000, 2014's Curved UHD LED LCD model from Samsung (might have a different model number in other countries, HU9000 is the Australian model number).

The specs for my PC are:
Intel i7 4770k @4.4Ghz (water cooled with an NZXT Kraken X60 AIO)
16gb Adata XPG V2 Gold DDR3 2400Mhz RAM
EVGA GTX 780ti Classified w/ backplate
2x Samsung 840 Evo 500gb SSD
2x WD Black 3TB HDD
MSI Z87 MPOWER motherboard
Corsair AX1200 PSU

The case is an NZXT H440, you should be able to get them from just about any electronics/PC retailer, they are a popular case, I got it pretty close to release when I put this PC together in April.

There are lots of assorted things in there as well to make it look the way it does, orange sleeved cables, Bitfenix orange LED strips, all the fans were changed on the inside to white (bitfenix spectre pros, Phanteks premiers), but nothing hard to find, and certainly nothing hard to put together, I'm pretty happy with the clean look I have at the moment; my last few builds were much more flamboyant with custom water loops and black/red colour schemes, once you start a water cooling loop from scratch it's hard to stop yourself going overboard lol.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
People still listen to Pachter?

He has an anti-Nintendo bias, he will always be negative to Nintendo even if they were making more money than the rest of the world. Take everything he says with a grain of salt because he isn't 'analysing' anything, he's just hating.