Is Nintendo Back? Company Reports Unexpected Profits

Jan 27, 2011
Is anyone surprised?

Mario Kart 8, Hyrule Warriors, and Smash bros all in a few months.

GAMES are what move money in this industry.

Nintendo is the Tortoise in the "Tortoise and the Hare" story. They might not be dominating, but they will eventually win over the hare in the long run.

Because they're only pushing forward as much as they need to.

Are they still in trouble? Yeah, a little. But they'll survive, it's what they're good at. Heck, when the industry eventually crashes (probably not ANYWHERE near as bad as all the armchair cynics are saying it will), I suspect they're going to be one of the few to survive.

I mean, remember how the 3DS was a JOKE at launch? It's been dominating for a good while now. Where's your Vita now? :p

Seriously, I'm with RazorFist on this. "You bet against nintendo at your own peril. These guys know games better than anyone".

Travis Fischer

Feb 1, 2012
LysanderNemoinis said:
You know, I have an idea how Nintendo could make a little extra cash quickly: How about you allow Bayonetta 2 to be ported to the PS3, PS4, XBOX360, and XBone?
In what possible way would a 3rd Party Developer putting an exclusive game on non-Nintendo systems result in Nintendo making more money? How does that happen?

Darkong

Nov 6, 2007
And so it seems the "Nintendo is doomed" predictions were somewhat misplaced. Just as they have been every year since 1998...

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
Razhem said:
LysanderNemoinis said:
Olas said:
Nintendo is always getting left out of ports, it still doesn't even have a port of Minecraft, and EVERYTHING has a port of Minecraft. You get to play games like Shadow of the Colossus and Last of Us, and tons of other games either exclusive to Playstation or just excluded from Nintendo consoles. You want to play Bayonetta 2, a game that Nintendo funded and one of the few good games it HAS, without having to buy a Wii U?
Yes, I do. Because like you said, there's not exactly a lot of good (or rather, mature games for the system). Then again, there's not much about Bayonetta 2 that could be considered mature, heh. I don't know what system or systems you have, but would you buy a console to just play one game? Not a lot of people have the scratch to throw down several hundred dollars for just one game. Aside from Bayonetta 2, the only games on the WiiU I have any interest in is Devil's Third and Shovel Knight, and even then they're not really huge deals for me (also not a PC gamer).

The type of gamer who likes Bayonetta and your average Nintendo fan don't have a very big overlap. But the type of people who would like Bayonetta, The Last of Us, Shadow of the Colossus, etc. are a lot closer in tastes, hence why it would be a good idea financially to release the game on other systems. Nintendo getting a third-party exclusive like Bayonetta is a lose-lose proposition. Yeah they get this great exclusive, but it's not going to sell well, the developer gets ire from previous fans like myself who feel a bit gipped by everything, and everyone ends up unhappy, save for the ten souls who actually own a WiiU already and are chomping at the bit for a game like Bayonetta.

It's one thing to have a series to be exclusive to one system to begin with, but it's another to switch consoles. Imagine how pissed Halo fans would be if suddenly the series moved to PS4. Or if Metroid went to Xbone. It was just a dumb idea, and Sony and Microsoft were stupid for passing up on the IP. And now everyone regrets it (except for the aforementioned ten people).
This sounds pretty petty to me. "Since the console is obviously shit, why does that good game have to choke in those seas of mediocrity?! god forbid I consider sullying my house with FILTHY WII U even if it has a pretty sexy assortment of games lately that I could perfectly enjoy if I wasn't so anal about it"

Face it skipper, Nintendo put the money for it because your beloved sony considered it shit, they are not going to just let it go because a few guys whine about it since god knows the Wii U needs non nintendo exclusives in it's arsenal.

Also, as for your absurd example of "what would you think if something company jumped!!!" It already happened, a lot, during the 16 to 32 bit era, surprise, it wasn't the end of the world. Also, Halo and Metroid are FIRST party, so your example still doesn't make any sense either way.
Wow, methinks you're a bit more biased than you think I am. I never said the WiiU was shitty and despite owning a PS3 and loving the crap out of it, I'm not a fanatically fanboy. I for one, couldn't shrug at Uncharted any harder without dislocating my shoulders. My reasoning is not that WiiU is shit, but that the average WiiU owner is not the type of person to be in the market for a game like Bayonetta 2. I would buy a WiiU if I had the money (and it had more games that I was interested in than a couple), but I don't and it doesn't. That's not me being bitchy and pissy about it, just clearly stating my feelings on the subject.

Bayonetta 2's exclusivity bothers me because a lot of fans of the original aren't going to buy a WiiU just to play the sequel. Nintendo can have all the third-party exclusives it wants, but I'd prefer if they were original IPs rather than sequels to originally multiplatform games. Remember Eternal Darkness? That game was frigging awesome, and it sold less than half a million units. Why? Because it was on the GameCube. If Nintendo had made it a timed exclusive or something, or had bonus Ninty-flavored content like Bayonetta's special outfits and then released for the other systems, Nintendo would have made MORE money in the long run and that IP could have blossomed into a full franchise.

And as for my little example, I'll admit it wasn't perfect because those games are first party, and I should have said something like Final Fantasy, but the point ultimately still stands.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Yeah, never bought the whole "Nintendoomed!" idea, considering people were saying the same thing about the Wii...and the Gamecube.

And the N64. And the SNES, and...well, you get the point.

Anyway, if they continue to keep up the pace by releasing a steady supply of solid games for the Wii U, they may be able to fully pull the system out of its early nosedive.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
marioandsonic said:
Yeah, never bought the whole "Nintendoomed!" idea, considering people were saying the same thing about the Wii...and the Gamecube.

Anyway, if they continue to keep up the pace by releasing a steady supply of solid games for the Wii U, they may be able to fully pull the system out of its early nosedive.
More like the "early nosedive" was just typical launch doldrums only they were compounded by 3rd parties being a bunch of dickbags because Nintendo didn't worship the ground they tread on. And to think after this we still have SSB, Captain Toad, and the coming year with stuff like Xenoblade, Splatoon, Yoshi's Woolly World, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Mario Maker, Zelda, Devil's Third, and probably a few other titles they're keeping under wraps.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
StewShearer said:
One has to wonder if the recent success of Super Smash Bros. on the 3DS might also have something to do wit it. That said, if Pachter's assessment is correct, it could mean that there's still a lot of work ahead for Nintendo before we can safely say its recent trouble are behind it.
...Or it could be that Pachter is just irritated that, having failed to heed his advice that Nintendo offer up its properties to every mobile device on the market, Nintendo hasn't experienced a resultant withering.

Can we please, please find another expert to cite on these matters...?

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Aiddon said:
More like the "early nosedive" was just typical launch doldrums only they were compounded by 3rd parties being a bunch of dickbags because Nintendo didn't worship the ground they tread on. And to think after this we still have SSB, Captain Toad, and the coming year with stuff like Xenoblade, Splatoon, Yoshi's Woolly World, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Mario Maker, Zelda, Devil's Third, and probably a few other titles they're keeping under wraps.
Personally this is the issue I have with Nintendo, ask the fans what games are avalaible and you get Mario, Zelda and Kirby. 3 old and boring franchises that I don't give a damn about. What they need to be giving examples of are things like Xenoblade (as you did), Wonderful 101, Fire Emblem (I think this is 3DS though), Bayonetta and other newer more interesting games.

The problem I have with Mario and co is that it's always the same story, Princess Peach forgets to hire security and Bowser kidnaps her because.... he's lonely? So Mario once again sets off to save her AGAIN rather than say "stuff it if you can't be assed to get better security" and the game quickly feels like the same thing I played in 1995. Yes the gameplay has advanced but to be frank it's story that interests me more than anything in a game and Mario has the weakest I have ever seen, it's a snore fest.

Zelda from what I hear isn't much better (unlike Mario I haven't actually played Zelda yet however plan to get Windwaker and Hyrule Warrior when I get a Wii U). The issue is that these games are marketed to kids so they keep the stories so simple and bland, this is the real issue. It's not the colour or the gameplay, it's that the story and game feels so dumbed down for kids that it puts me to sleep.

EDIT: Actually no I take that back, it's the overzealous fans that shove their love for Mario down your throat and harass those that don't love their favorite remake that turns me off Nintendo more than anything else. Esp since they always focus on 1 or 2 games it makes the system sound bland when in actuality there are interesting titles if you go looking.

Neronium said:
Now to wait for the usually people to show up, praising Nintendo for all it is and how they can do no wrong, and as such make me hate identifying myself as a Nintendo fan because of how overzealous they are.
Looks like I'm not the only one either....

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Aiddon said:
marioandsonic said:

Don't forget Star Fox and there's still hope for F-Zero :)

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
LysanderNemoinis said:
Olas said:
Nintendo is always getting left out of ports, it still doesn't even have a port of Minecraft, and EVERYTHING has a port of Minecraft. You get to play games like Shadow of the Colossus and Last of Us, and tons of other games either exclusive to Playstation or just excluded from Nintendo consoles. You want to play Bayonetta 2, a game that Nintendo funded and one of the few good games it HAS, without having to buy a Wii U?
Yes, I do. Because like you said, there's not exactly a lot of good (or rather, mature games for the system). Then again, there's not much about Bayonetta 2 that could be considered mature, heh. I don't know what system or systems you have, but would you buy a console to just play one game? Not a lot of people have the scratch to throw down several hundred dollars for just one game. Aside from Bayonetta 2, the only games on the WiiU I have any interest in is Devil's Third and Shovel Knight, and even then they're not really huge deals for me (also not a PC gamer).

The type of gamer who likes Bayonetta and your average Nintendo fan don't have a very big overlap. But the type of people who would like Bayonetta, The Last of Us, Shadow of the Colossus, etc. are a lot closer in tastes, hence why it would be a good idea financially to release the game on other systems. Nintendo getting a third-party exclusive like Bayonetta is a lose-lose proposition. Yeah they get this great exclusive, but it's not going to sell well, the developer gets ire from previous fans like myself who feel a bit gipped by everything, and everyone ends up unhappy, save for the ten souls who actually own a WiiU already and are chomping at the bit for a game like Bayonetta.

It's one thing to have a series to be exclusive to one system to begin with, but it's another to switch consoles. Imagine how pissed Halo fans would be if suddenly the series moved to PS4. Or if Metroid went to Xbone. It was just a dumb idea, and Sony and Microsoft were stupid for passing up on the IP. And now everyone regrets it (except for the aforementioned ten people).
First, I'm quoting this even though I know you've made another post since. It relates to emphasis on the original issue.

Did you not see the "smallest violin" picture? Did you not understand it? Because in your subsequent post, you remained whiny. The implication of the gif is that "hey, we don't all get what we want". Back in the day, I wanted Journey and LBP. But oh well. Wrong system. But I enjoyed plenty of other games.

What I didn't do was make up shit and pretend it was good business advice, like that LBP should be a pc game for Sony's benefit.

So suck it up. If you really want Bayonetta, you'll have to just buy a Wii U. Can't afford it? Haha. I could. My big TV and new furniture are really nice too. And if I one day want something enough on a PS4, instead of lying about economics, I'll get a PS4. Because I'm an adult with disposable income, and not a whiny kid.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
HaileStorm said:
I don't know why, but I've never liked Michael Patcher. He always just comes off as an arrogant know it all with very little insightful information....but then again that could just be me.
It's not just you. I think a coinflip or goat who points at newspaper clippings would be as reliable as his predictions, but he acts like he's Nostradamus if he's right 1 in 10 times. Which Nostradamus would probably have killed for, but still.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
RicoADF said:
Aiddon said:
Personally this is the issue I have with Nintendo, ask the fans what games are avalaible and you get Mario, Zelda and Kirby. 3 old and boring franchises that I don't give a damn about. What they need to be giving examples of are things like Xenoblade (as you did), Wonderful 101, Fire Emblem (I think this is 3DS though), Bayonetta and other newer more interesting games.

The problem I have with Mario and co is that it's always the same story, Princess Peach forgets to hire security and Bowser kidnaps her because.... he's lonely? So Mario once again sets off to save her AGAIN rather than say "stuff it if you can't be assed to get better security" and the game quickly feels like the same thing I played in 1995. Yes the gameplay has advanced but to be frank it's story that interests me more than anything in a game and Mario has the weakest I have ever seen, it's a snore fest.

Zelda from what I hear isn't much better (unlike Mario I haven't actually played Zelda yet however plan to get Windwaker and Hyrule Warrior when I get a Wii U). The issue is that these games are marketed to kids so they keep the stories so simple and bland, this is the real issue. It's not the colour or the gameplay, it's that the story and game feels so dumbed down for kids that it puts me to sleep.
I under stand your view but your commenting on the tip of Ignorance.

The Zelda series though have similar themes can have completely different stories. Majora's Mask and nothing about that game is simple or bland (and most games are for kids). You'll enjoy WW I think.
If you want a deep story in Mario that isn't the same thing try the RPGs (ds and paper), i'd like a console Mario RPG too.

But I agree, Nintendo need more than the staples that made them house hold names hell, bring back ones they've left behind. If Nintendo did more like what they did with the 3 RPGs in Operation Rainfall maybe there'd be less skepticism and more competition.

It annoys me that Nintendo supported Guilty Gear XX Accent Core version but won't get Xrd on their console, what is that? :mad:

EDIT: Actually no I take that back, it's the overzealous fans that shove their love for Mario down your throat and harass those that don't love their favorite remake that turns me off Nintendo more than anything else. Esp since they always focus on 1 or 2 games it makes the system sound bland when in actuality there are interesting titles if you go looking.
Is it any worse than PS COD Colonels and Xbox Madden Kings reigning superiority over the "GRAPHICS" and "BROWN&GREY" and the rest, I mean c'mon? Other consoles barely have the unique franchises comparable to Nintendo because most are on every console anyway and the ones that aren't? They'll become what Nintendo franchises have.

nima55

Paladin of Traffic Law
Nov 14, 2010
I was unaware that they were missing. The Xbone is still selling worse than the Wii U, any chance that Microsoft will be the one everyone thinks is DOOOOOOOOMED next?

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
nima55 said:
I was unaware that they were missing. The Xbone is still selling worse than the Wii U, any chance that Microsoft will be the one everyone thinks is DOOOOOOOOMED next?
Well, Microsoft always has Windows and other divisions, so they'll be fine.

Also, there's no catchy name that you can use for saying the XBone is doomed...

...maybe "Xboned"?

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
That would imply they ever left. Nintendo does some damn fine work in the midcard, why people mistake that as them having less credibility is beyond me. Nintendo don't lose those midcard feuds (EA, Ubisoft, and the other upper midcard heels have all been jobbing to Nintendo consistently), are a safe pair of hands, and no competitor is as accomplished or as renowned as them.

LysanderNemoinis said:
You know, I have an idea how Nintendo could make a little extra cash quickly: How about you allow Bayonetta 2 to be ported to the PS3, PS4, XBOX360, and XBone? Because it's not going to make much money just staying on the WiiU. While a lot of people aren't to willing to shell out several hundred dollars for a system just so they could play one (maybe two or three) game, I'd buy Bayonetta 2 for the PS3 right now. And this is coming from someone who rarely buys games at launch. And yes, I know I continually bring this up, but it doesn't change the fact I'm still annoyed that I can't play it.
Why would Nintendo ever put an Exclusive they can hold no problem on other systems? That isn't how consoles work (well Microsoft haven't quite fully learnt that lesson).

Just buy the Wii U, its great. Damn fine supplement.
Unfair you have to pay the Nintendo tax you say? Well life isn't fair, you want those games than pay the tribute to Lord Nintendo. You want to see Nintendo pull off its famous finishers and signature moves live than pay to see a live show, otherwise just watch them on TV like the rest.

thanatos388

Apr 24, 2012
9.5 Billion yen? Wow, thats almost a whole dollar! But serioulsy they were surprised? They release games that people want and to their surprise they finally make some profit? Was it the same surprise Miyamoto had when he found out people do in fact still like Star Fox?

If they keep this up then the Wii U will unquestionably become the best console to have this generation (and I already have one so their could be some bias in that). And yes, Pacter. The same Pacter who said that Call of Duty should have charged for multiplayer because so many play it now, and thus they could have gotten that much extra money? Yeah surprised people still listen at all to that guy.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
V4Viewtiful said:
*SNIP quotes*
I under stand your view but your commenting on the tip of Ignorance.

The Zelda series though have similar themes can have completely different stories. Majora's Mask and nothing about that game is simple or bland (and most games are for kids). You'll enjoy WW I think.
If you want a deep story in Mario that isn't the same thing try the RPGs (ds and paper), i'd like a console Mario RPG too.

But I agree, Nintendo need more than the staples that made them house hold names hell, bring back ones they've left behind. If Nintendo did more like what they did with the 3 RPGs in Operation Rainfall maybe there'd be less skepticism and more competition.

It annoys me that Nintendo supported Guilty Gear XX Accent Core version but won't get Xrd on their console, what is that? :mad:

Is it any worse than PS COD Colonels and Xbox Madden Kings reigning superiority over the "GRAPHICS" and "BROWN&GREY" and the rest, I mean c'mon? Other consoles barely have the unique franchises comparable to Nintendo because most are on every console anyway and the ones that aren't? They'll become what Nintendo franchises have.
I will agree that my opinion is based on old info (I played the old super mario games and got bored after 3), what others say and the small run I had at Galaxies which story wise felt like super mario again (new gameplay yes but the story felt the same). So i will agree it is boarderline ignorance, but that's kind of the point of what I'm saying. The perception that Nintendo need to fix is that of "same thing done again" which most people that don't play the games see and feel. I may grab the paper mario games then on my Wii, or if it comes on Wii U when I get one.

Interesting info on Zelda, it did seem more interesting but I just never had time to get into it, as I said I do plan to get WW as I've heard good things about it as well as Hyrule Warrior, so I may have to eat my hat regarding that one. Still glad we agree they need more variety.

I agree that there are CoD fans, Madden fans etc that are just as bad however as you said yourself those games are not system specific and as such they reflect badly on the games rather than the systems. Nintendo games (especially Mario) as basically what people see the system as, so when fans make the game look bad it reflects on the system. The xbox also suffers this with Halo abit, the xbox has the abusive online gamer stigma due to halo fans that make the community, game and thus system look bad from others perspective.

Note I have all 3 systems and PC's, while I prefer PC and Playstation due to the selection of games I find on them I don't care much for brand loyalty. One plastic box with CPU/motherboard/ram/HDD is the same as another (I work in IT so yeah....)

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
V4Viewtiful said:
Though when you break it down, Nintendo supposedly being a one-trick pony has always been a falsehood that can best be described as a very flimsy smear tactic; they make new franchises CONSTANTLY, moreso than any other developer around. When it takes me around six hands to count the amount of franchises they have, that is insane. Heck, just look at the Smash Bros' roster and that alone tells enough. Most companies are lucky to have ten regular franchises, Nintendo literally has DOZENS.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Forget Nintendo, the real story is Michael Patcher is still around. I thought the relative silence from him in a while was a sign that someone had realised he was just throwing darts at the wall when he made his predictions, and shown him the door.