Is Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Coming to the Wii?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Is Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Coming to the Wii?

An interesting listing on the website for the USK (Germany's equivalent of the ESRB) may be pointing fingers at an upcoming port of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney for the Wii.

Last week, some sharp-eyed readers over at Unterhaltungssoftware Selbstkontrolle (USK) [http://www.gamerbytes.com/2009/11/phoenix_wright_ace_attourney_c.php], the country's ratings board (effectively, the equivalent to the ESRB here in the States). The listing in question is in German, of course, but you don't need to sprechen sie Deutsch to get the important information here. In fact, we've helpfully bolded it for you below:

[blockquote]Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney
Publisher: CEG Interactive Entertainment GmbH
Altersfreigabe: Freigegeben ohne Altersbeschränkung gemäß § 14 JuSchG
Prüfdatum: 29.10.2009
USK Nr.: 26417/09
Sprache: multilingual
System: Nintendo Wii
Genre: klassisches Adventure
Untergenre:[/blockquote]

This listing seems to indicate that Capcom's table-slamming, finger-pointing courtroom adventure game - previously only available for the DS (well, unless you're Japanese and have the original GBA games) - will be making a console debut on the Wii, either as a port or (more likely) simply through WiiWare. The USK site already has listings for all of the Ace Attorney titles on DS, so it's unlikely that this is simply a matter of a snafu during the data-entry process or something along those lines.

While it may seem odd to have this game's existence leaked by the German ratings board of all things, it wouldn't be the first time such a thing has happened: The USK inadvertently confirmed the existence of Guitar Hero: Van Halen back in April [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91095-Germany-Rates-Guitar-Hero-Van-Halen].

Speaking personally, the first three Phoenix Wright titles are some of my favorite games in recent memory. Imagine, if you will, a courtroom drama a la Law & Order transformed into a crazy over-the-top anime where parrots and radios and ventriloquist dummies are called to the stand, and where at least one prosecutor has an unfortunate tendency to whip her opponents. Then transform that anime into a video game, and you'd start to have something approaching the awesomeness of the Phoenix Wright games (though Apollo Justice was a bit of a letdown).

The writing was great, the characters were likable and funny, the cases were a blast to figure out (and I don't care what anyone says, the final case to Justice For All blows all of the others out of the water), and the soundtrack features some of the best videogame tunes we've heard in years. If the games are coming to the Wii (and one hopes that they will support Wii Remote deskslam/finger-pointing) then hopefully more people will get to play them and realize how awesome they are.

No objections here, Your Honor!

And now, because I could, this news post summed up using the Five [http://objection.mrdictionary.net/index.php]

(Via Court-Records [http://forums.court-records.net/trial-minutes/coming-the-wii-t17440.html])

Quadtrix

Dec 17, 2008
Though I haven't played any of the games, how can this possible benefit from moving it from a handheld to a console? Can the Wii really bring anything new to the franchise?

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
SirBryghtside said:
Sounds cool - I've actually never heard of the series, can someone help me out?
There's a review by IcemanFreeze in the User Reviews forum. He pretty much sums it up. Incidentally, he also uses that last site mentioned in a little ad about the other games in the series. While the last two don't quite pertain to the first three games (except for some characters(at least, not yet)), they are also entertaining (not sure about one of the games, as it hasn't come out yet).

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
SirBryghtside said:
Sounds cool - I've actually never heard of the series, can someone help me out?
TAKE THAT! [http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=3386611]

Fantastic adventure games, with memorable characters, and and impressive overarching plot, too.

Quadtrix said:
Though I haven't played any of the games, how can this possible benefit from moving it from a handheld to a console? Can the Wii really bring anything new to the franchise?
Yes. FULL VOICE ACTING!

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
This, and
are the greatest things ever, without exception.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Nimbus said:
This, and
are the greatest things ever, without exception.
It's [*youtube=ID], not [*youtube]ID, unless they changed something...

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Permission to treat the ATTORNEY as hostile?

Still, I don't really need the series on Wii. I find it really good as it is on my DS. Besides, selling an adventure game (thinking game, more like this) on a family-friendly console?

...Also, why no love for Edgeworth?

hansari

May 31, 2009
I don't like the direction the series is going in with this "Apollo Justice"...

But porting to the Wii...that can't be too difficult...the game wasn't exactly graphic intensive...

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Abedeus said:

Still, I don't really need the series on Wii. I find it really good as it is on my DS. Besides, selling an adventure game (thinking game, more like this) on a family-friendly console?

Are you kidding? This is exactly what the Wii needs. I still haven't got one due to the lack of quality SINGLE PLAYER games.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Abedeus said:

I love Edgeworth. He's so emo and pink and frilly and yet somehow still awesome.

simply_simple

Aug 28, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Abedeus said:

Are you kidding? This is exactly what the Wii needs. I still haven't got one due to the lack of quality SINGLE PLAYER games.
I'm not sayin PW isn't amazing but would you actually buy a Wii for that? I mean it may just be a port of the DS/GBA game, in which case would it still sway you into buying a console for it?

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
Quadtrix said:
YES!!!

now you can point with your wii at where is phoenix going to point his finger next

ISNT THAT AWESOME!!!

Chimaera

Niche Game Fangirl
Oct 28, 2005
CantFaketheFunk said:
And now, because I could, this news post summed up using the Five [http://objection.mrdictionary.net/index.php]
This was positively brilliant, Funk. Well played.

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
...This news is, like, days old. Don't make me post a picture of Slowpoke, Escapist.

That said, I don't know about this. The only real improvement I could see from doing something like this is voice-acting, which can also be a large unimprovement if poorly handled. That, and the Phoenix Wright games are better suited for a handheld system you can play anywhere, not on a major console with a large-screen TV. If it's an entirely brand-new set of cases, then I could start to see how it would make sense to make a console-version, but I think what's more likely is they'll just release the cases from the first case onto WiiWare, and if that's the case, then I'm not exactly enthusiastic over playing through the same cases again.

CantFaketheFunk said:
I love Edgeworth. He's so emo and pink and frilly and yet somehow still awesome.
No objections here.

Sunfirecross

Oct 17, 2008
Man CAPCOM loves taking my money away lately. Day 1 buy.

CantFaketheFunk said:
I agree why is he so awesome. Mabye it is his Cravat that is the source of his powers.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
GET OUT OF THE WAY
Must go to gamestop to buy a Wii...

PS. If you actually played the games, you'd know Edgeworth is actually pretty far from emo. In fact, there's one (paraphrased) moment that proves it, in my case at least.
Suicidal Witness: If you don't let me off the stand this instant, I'll kill myself!
Edgeworth: F**K YOU. You're gonna testify.