Is piracy bad when you don't have a choice ?

Krelias

Apr 17, 2009
I live in Romania where the minimum wage varies around 350 euros (430 dollars) and the average new release costs around 40 euro (50 dollars) most of the times more expensive than in the US or UK for example(this i think is beacause they fall in a certain category of products that are heavly taxed). Here software piracy is a way of life most releases are played waaay before the hit the stores and most people justify their abuse of software piracy by their lack of money to spend on games or other software.

Now, i respect the western point of view that intelectual property and creation in general has to be financially rewarded otherwise the entertainment business would cease to exist but for most people here if there wouldn't be piracy they wouldn't afford to buy games -period- so if you look at it my way verry few potential customers are lost really.

I know that the argument against what i'm saying would be something along the lines of: "people who use pirated software just don't care about morals or the fate of the sudios that developed their favourite games" and i have to admit that i've seen that mentality showcased around those around me "why pay money for something i can get for free" or "i will never pay for a game as long as there's piracy" and i agree that those people no matter how hardcore they think they are don't deserve to be called gamers, but i've also seen recently people who save up to buy the most anticipated titles or sequels to their favourites, even collectors editions after playing a game just to reward the satisfaction given to them by that game's developers.

Romanian society as a whole is really primitive when it comes to understanding a market economy even if it's been around for twenty years, but people are starting to understand why it is better to buy rather then steal even when it comes to software. Even if things are starting too look up piracy remains rampant cause it simply determined by economy.

So my question is "should someone feel guilty for pirating a software that he or she can't afford ?" since there's really no affected party involved i mean the developer is losing only the chance to sell the product to one more person who wouldn't have aforded it anyway.

The Zango

Resident stoner and Yognaught
Apr 30, 2009
Piracy is always bad. Stealing a loaf of bread becuase you cant afford it, that I can see reasoning for but pirating a game just becuase you cant afford it doesnt work. You dont need that game and you can live without it.

Please note I used 'you' without meaning anyone in particular

Apr 28, 2008
I agree that companies and publishers need to adjust prices for overseas markets. Charging what could be a whole month's salary for a game is just stupid and wrong.

However it is also wrong to steal something you don't even need to live.
You can go without games, and while I do feel for your situation, you do have a choice. Pirate or don't.

Granted as Furburt said, this is a very grey area, and I can't really take a side.

Publishers need to adjust prices for regions, people in the regions need to stop stealing.

Luke Cartner

May 6, 2010
My belief is dont worry about stuff you cant change. Dont try to rationalize it, just acknowledge that this is the world we live is and move on.
I found that works for most things including piracy..

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
YOu always have a choice, you can do without. Buy a stick and a fucking ball and play with others in the neighborhood or buy old stuff or play only freeware. Support people in their projects or support otehr areas of the economy.

Holy shit is that so hard!?

Pielikey

Jul 31, 2009
Piracy can have valid reasons. For instance, as far as I know games with the horrifying cancerous tumor known as "Games for Windows Live" cannot be used in many Countries. This is bad because many people spent $40 preordering DiRT 2 on Steam and found that GFWL decided their country doesn't deserve to play the game.

But not being able to afford games? Yeah, that's not really a valid reason.

Scove

May 17, 2010
i gues that if ur asking us if u should feel guilty then u already do so u have answered ur own question! however the way i see it is you want to download ilegally then you must accept the consequences if they occur. :)

DarkMessiah

Dec 29, 2008
Of course someone who pirates games because they can't afford them should feel guilty.
It's not like stealing bread when you're starving and have no alternative, games are a luxury.

Chechosaurus

Jul 20, 2008
Well I REALLY wanted to see Kick Ass and it wasn't out in the Cinema any more so I watched a pirated copy but I fully intend on buying the DVD when it comes out so I don't really think that it counts. They still get my money.

Luke Cartner

May 6, 2010
SyphonX said:
So you folks don't want these people to experience a form of art, even though, given the circumstance, they cannot afford the game no matter what? Therefore they are not a lost sale in any regard, because they couldn't buy the game in the first place. You people, out of some spiteful bullshit attitude, would rather see these people not play games even though their doing so affects absolutely nothing but entertain them and spread word of mouth perks on good games?

Do you people even listen to yourselves? Gaming, a luxury? If I was a game developer, and I knew that in certain places, people couldn't afford my game, under any circumstance, I would most certainly want them to play it anyway. Within reason.

Fuck anyone who disagrees with that. You carry such a self-righteous attitude towards this null and void mild problem that you spit on people and claim they shouldn't enjoy games anyway.
hear hear
I couldn't agree more.
I've heard alot of people on these forums call pirates arrogant with a sense of entitlement but to me this approach of barring access to games to those who can afford seems just as bad.

Luke Cartner

May 6, 2010
Eliam_Dar said:
Steam is the answer, where you can find games at awsome prices
For those of us who live in countries with download limits steam really doesn't work for most mainstream games.

ManiacEskimo

Mar 31, 2009
It isn't a pretty dilema to be in, piracy is still wrong even if you honestly could never afford the games.

Thankfully there are a lot of sales on steam, gamersgate, good old games and impulse. The latter 3 have proper currency conversions instead of switching the $ for £ or the euro symbol. I hope that helps :) Best of luck to you and Romania!

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
This is ridiculous.

I can't afford a Ferrari, but that doesn't mean I'd go out and fucking steal one.

Pirates are thieving assholes. Period.

Eliam_Dar

Nov 25, 2009
Luke Cartner said:
Eliam_Dar said:
Steam is the answer, where you can find games at awsome prices
For those of us who live in countries with download limits steam really doesn't work for most mainstream games.
I live in Argentina =/
I have download limits and it works. However if your limits are lower than mine I can understand.